dcsimg

V-38 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 541 through 560 (of 1,001 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Just a tune up for this one Jim ?
    I’m sure it’s a nice break
    I guess your name must be out there for tuning guitars.

I changed the chrome pick up covers too. But yes, just a regular seasonal tweak for the wood movement. Word is spreading slowly about my work. My cost is about 2/3 of the big shop most use, and I do a better and more complete job. I actually check and adjust all the parameters needed, plus I do a pretty good cleaning, lubing and maintenance on them.

When you bring them into the big stores for a set up, they usually just change the strings, check the intonation and charge you $75. I go through the whole process of neck relief, string height, pick up height, intonation, plus I clean all the frets and finger board, oil the finger board, check all the fasteners and electronics, put a drop of oil on moving parts, graphite on the nut, and clean everything that’s not normally accessible when the strings are on. I charge $50 for that. Not including parts and strings.

Nice to build a little business by word-of-mouth. You can’t get better advertising than that.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

Well, got a very unpleasant and sad phone call that woke us this morning. The town’s animal services called to say that our cat was found early this morning by someone walking their dog near our house half eaten by what was likely a coyote. Wifey is upstairs crying. Gonna miss Cleo. She was a good cat. RIP ‘babies’.

Well, this is not pretty what I’m about to write, and if you’re an animal lover, don’t read on.

I went to the clinic that had the remains of our cat Cleo to pick her up and bring her to our much cheaper vet for its cremation and was told I couldn’t take her right then as the police have been called and wanted to investigate this further.

The clinic basically told me in a sugar coated way that the remains looked highly suspicious but wouldn’t elaborate much further and that Cleo’s wounds were unusual for an animal predator attack.

I came back to the clinic after getting a phone call from the police that they were there saying they wanted me to come back to the clinic and ask me some questions. The two police officers and I further went to where I thought her demise had taken place based on what was told to the clinic from the lady who was walking her dog this morning that had found her and had the incredible decency to bring what remained of her to the clinic. The police took photos, and I also showed them another location nearby that there were more animal remains also but were obviously days older. I also told the police that a client of mine who had come by in the mprning that they had found two other animal remains a block or so away in the past days. I gave the police her phone number as it seems to be an unusual coincidence.

But this is where it becomes clear to me why the police are involved. When I went back to the clinic that had her remains to take them and bring them to the cheaper place for cremation, I explain to the vet there what had transpired and asked him to unbox my cats half body remains and what his opinion is. Basically, someone took a sword or machete and chopped my cat in half. Definitely not a predator kill per the two vets at that clinic. Where my cats lower other half body is, who knows.

This is very disturbing. I can deal with the grief if my animal was eaten by a coyote, but to now pretty well for sure know this was inflicted by some sick SOB….I’m very very angry right now!!! I want to put my fist thru somebody’s face right now, and I’m not a violent person. My wife and I are quite disturbed by this. I’m not telling these details to our 15 yo son.

I stood out in the rain today and finished piecing together the siding around the new windows. I got soaked. I washed it down a bit too, so it looks nicer. Weather is too bad for a photo, so that will come maybe tomorrow.
    I dropped off the 2 guitars I fixed up and picked up another one to set up. There is another one waiting in the wings too. Nice to have a bit of pin money coming in. The expression “pin money” may be a bit old for some of you youngin’s out there…look it up if your not an old sod like the rest of us…lol.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I stood out in the rain today and finished piecing together the siding around the new windows. I got soaked.

I think that was rain from Dorian. Man it rained buckets here when she visited.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Well, got a very unpleasant and sad phone call that woke us this morning. The town’s animal services called to say that our cat was found early this morning by someone walking their dog near our house half eaten by what was likely a coyote. Wifey is upstairs crying. Gonna miss Cleo. She was a good cat. RIP ‘babies’.

Well, this is not pretty what I’m about to write, and if you’re an animal lover, don’t read on.

I went to the clinic that had the remains of our cat Cleo to pick her up and bring her to our much cheaper vet for its cremation and was told I couldn’t take her right then as the police have been called and wanted to investigate this further.

The clinic basically told me in a sugar coated way that the remains looked highly suspicious but wouldn’t elaborate much further and that Cleo’s wounds were unusual for an animal predator attack.

I came back to the clinic after getting a phone call from the police that they were there saying they wanted me to come back to the clinic and ask me some questions. The two police officers and I further went to where I thought her demise had taken place based on what was told to the clinic from the lady who was walking her dog this morning that had found her and had the incredible decency to bring what remained of her to the clinic. The police took photos, and I also showed them another location nearby that there were more animal remains also but were obviously days older. I also told the police that a client of mine who had come by in the mprning that they had found two other animal remains a block or so away in the past days. I gave the police her phone number as it seems to be an unusual coincidence.

But this is where it becomes clear to me why the police are involved. When I went back to the clinic that had her remains to take them and bring them to the cheaper place for cremation, I explain to the vet there what had transpired and asked him to unbox my cats half body remains and what his opinion is. Basically, someone took a sword or machete and chopped my cat in half. Definitely not a predator kill per the two vets at that clinic. Where my cats lower other half body is, who knows.

This is very disturbing. I can deal with the grief if my animal was eaten by a coyote, but to now pretty well for sure know this was inflicted by some sick SOB….I’m very very angry right now!!! I want to put my fist thru somebody’s face right now, and I’m not a violent person. My wife and I are quite disturbed by this. I’m not telling these details to our 15 yo son.

Sorry to hear what happen to your cat. I hope the police find who is doing this.
    If coyote killed a cat they usually don’t leave many remains.

I found where some coyotes killed a deer. The only remains I found were a few pieces of bones and some hair. Just enough to know it was a deer.

Greg

Doobie

Sorry to hear what happen to your cat. I hope the police find who is doing this.

That’s the thing that started setting it apart, and for which I’m angry. The intestines were still there. From what was told to me, animals devour the intestines first as a favorite. They were in fact un-eaten. Our little ‘babies’ was murdered by some twisted samurai twisted monster in our community. I’m just sick about this.

I’m so glad I was taking her elsewhere and getting a 2nd opinion. I really wasn’t being told what was her situation. Obviously, they were either not wanting to either alarm me, or treat me as a suspect. The second vet made it clear my cat was assassinated. I just want to puke waking up this morning about this. I’m so disgusted and angry.

I might go into the shop later this afternoon , my boss told me it’s open overtime ,
    I can pretty much go in anytime I want , as long as I wear the man down walkie talkie , I figured I might as well
    Looks like we will be having some big orders coming.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

That’s the thing that started setting it apart, and for which I’m angry. The intestines were still there. From what was told to me, animals devour the intestines first as a favorite. They were in fact un-eaten. Our little ‘babies’ was murdered by some twisted samurai twisted monster in our community. I’m just sick about this.

I’m so glad I was taking her elsewhere and getting a 2nd opinion. I really wasn’t being told what was her situation. Obviously, they were either not wanting to either alarm me, or treat me as a suspect. The second vet made it clear my cat was assassinated. I just want to puke waking up this morning about this. I’m so disgusted and angry.

Usually coyotes will eat everything. As they never know when there next meal is coming from.
    I have never heard that before about animals eating the intestines first.
    We use to have hunting dogs. In winter we would get beaver carcasses from local trappers to feed the hunting dogs. I don’t remember our dogs eating the intestines first. Most times the carcasses were froze.
    I can’t imagine how you feel right now.

Greg

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed a fire door between the garage and the house.

Attachments:

Got a photo of the siding today. Not perfect, but for a 75′ run I think it turned out OK.

Attachments:

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

So things didn’t go as well as planned replacing the heat cable on the incoming water line. Picked up replacement heat cables at Lowe’s this morning and then started working out the placement on the water lines. Which led to thinking about where the thermostat control needed to be placed – which then led to a decision that the heat cable with the built in thermostat just won’t work in this situation.
    And of course the standard heat cable is not in stock anywhere in town, so… new parts are ordered and the heat cable replacement is delayed until next weekend.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I had a appointment with Optometrist this morning for eye exam. After the eye exam I picked one pair safety glasses and pair regular glasses.
    Then the rest of my day was spent with my girls as the wifey had to work. My youngest isn’t feeling well. Looks like she has got a cold.

Greg

Doobie

Today was rough for all of us.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

That is sick. I can’t believe what some people can do. I’m so sorry @doobie.

Charlie

Instagram

Installed a fire door between the garage and the house.

Nice , did you use those windbags

@JimDaddyO looks great Jim , that’s a long run at 75 feet.

@Doobie terribly sorry to hear about your cat.
    There are some sick people out there.

@Doobie sorry to hear about your pet. That is a shame. Coyotes get their fair share of ferral cats around here, but I don’t think anyone has ever hurt one of them intentionally. It makes you wonder what goes through some peoples minds.

Making some large clipboards for my daughter. She is the manager for the grandson’s hockey team and wanted boards in the team colors of orange, black and gray. Glued some walnut, katalox, and paduak strips together this morning. Waiting for them to dry so I can start planing.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Today was rough for all of us.

I am sure it was.
    I hope the police catch the person who did it.

This makes me think of the Landscaper who got caught a year ago for killing gay man and cutting them up and putting them in flower pots. This Landscaper did some work at place 10 minutes north of where I live. The police were doing investigation there. You really never know what’s going happen now days.

Greg

Doobie

Thanks for the sympathy wishes guys. I’m still glum as heck this morning. Don’t know what to do to keep my mind off this. Watching the women’s tennis championship yesterday helped. It was nice seeing a Canadian win a first ever Grand Slam event, but anything else on TV just doesn’t keep my mind off things. Think wifey and I are gonna go out for a long walk later together.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I went and looked at a little lumber today. It’s been in this shed and bus for 30 years. Not sure how many board feet is there. But it’s a bunch. I’m getting 500 bf of walnut and another 500 bf of cherry. Bought it at .25c a board foot.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 541 through 560 (of 1,001 total)
  • The topic ‘V-38 What did you do in the shop / site today?’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 0.746 seconds