dcsimg

V-38 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 521 through 540 (of 1,001 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I spent the day epoxying rebar to the pad I had poured last week, and then building the block wall in prep for filling them with concrete tomorrow. Then I got to spend a few hours tonight cleaning and rearranging my shop.

Wall is coming along nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

I spent the day epoxying rebar to the pad I had poured last week, and then building the block wall in prep for filling them with concrete tomorrow. Then I got to spend a few hours tonight cleaning and rearranging my shop.

Looking good Charlie , can you remind what sort of build this is. How high is the block wall going to be.

I worked on the new miter station for the Glide, including a “Fischer’s shop” style dust collection which either needs to be a bit taller or still have a hose going to the built in DC, but this one was rough enough that I am ok with it for now as it may even be considered a prototype. I am also waiting on more T track to complete it.

Nice miter station
    Are you using both port’s for the dust collection the one on the top, and the other one you added.

@jimdaddyo your welcome Jim 👍

Not yet- I think I do need to connect the upper port with this build though.

Will

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I worked on the new miter station for the Glide, including a “Fischer’s shop” style dust collection which either needs to be a bit taller or still have a hose going to the built in DC, but this one was rough enough that I am ok with it for now as it may even be considered a prototype. I am also waiting on more T track to complete it.

I’ll be following this closely, thanks for sharing, Will.

That makes for a full day, for sure.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Never heard of that kind of miter saw dust collector DIY add-on. Interesting!

Fischer’s shop is a Youtube woodworker who has quite a bit of humor and is entertaining to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=jrBaHKtz8GQ

Will

Here are some pictures of the cleaner re-organized shop. I do have to get around to documenting it better when I get some time.

Looks like lots of room for projects. How are you liking the combination planer/jointer?

I am seconding this comment and the question also. I am curious about the combo planer/jointer. One of the things on my radar once I get the electric done to the shop.

@Jimdaddyo

I would recommend it for power, space saving and the spiral carbide cutter head – my only complaint would be that I would prefer to have the ability to change or have multiple roller feed speeds so as to have a roughing pass and a finishing pass, similar to the Dewalt 13″ planer I git rid of for this one. I am still happy with out that feature as there is no comparison in it being quieter and more powerful as well as reduced snipe ( I can still get snipe if I am careless while feeding in material).

Will

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Looking good Charlie , can you remind what sort of build this is. How high is the block wall going to be.

Yes what is the structure for? Is it an outhouse or a confession booth?

Doobie

Never heard of that kind of miter saw dust collector DIY add-on. Interesting!

Fischer’s shop is a Youtube woodworker who has quite a bit of humor and is entertaining to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=jrBaHKtz8GQ

Thanks for the link. I do recall now seeing that video a while back. Decent video too. I should try to check out some more of Derek’s videos.

I likely tended to forget about it as I don’t really need to do any kind of dust collection for my two non-Kapex miter saws I use outside my main shop as they are mostly used outside anyways.

But he has the right idea. My Glide is nowhere near as dust free as my Kapex and other than what Derek and yourself are doing, adding extended shrouding to the Glide’s dust collection capture assembly really is not a great improvement when I tried that myself via replacing it with the Kapex’ rubber boot versus the stock one it comes with it from Bosch as many have done. It’s just simply the whole design of the Glide’s dust capture that is very different from a Kapex that is the real culprit.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

That’s as high as the blocks are going, it’s just to add a little height to an old log cabin style playhouse to make it tall enough to stand in even at the low points. With about 31” of block wall the peak will be about 9.5’ and the roof at the walls will be just under 8’. The whole thing is about 8’x8’ to the outside of the logs, and the cement slab is 9’x9’.

I’ll be doing some work on the log cabin once it’s moved into place on top of the cinderblocks – the roof needs replacing, a window needs the glass graded for plexi, the old floor will be removed along with the bottom row of logs that are rotted and replaced by two new half logs and then the door will be remade to fit the new opening. Lots to do still, lol.

Charlie

Instagram

That’s as high as the blocks are going, it’s just to add a little height to an old log cabin style playhouse to make it tall enough to stand in even at the low points. With about 31” of block wall the peak will be about 9.5’ and the roof at the walls will be just under 8’. The whole thing is about 8’x8’ to the outside of the logs, and the cement slab is 9’x9’.

I’ll be doing some work on the log cabin once it’s moved into place on top of the cinderblocks – the roof needs replacing, a window needs the glass graded for plexi, the old floor will be removed along with the bottom row of logs that are rotted and replaced by two new half logs and then the door will be remade to fit the new opening. Lots to do still, lol.

Ah ok , that’s why the blocks aren’t out more to the edge , it’s to accommodate the old style log cabin , thanks for the update and explanation
    Nice job on the blocks. Nice and straight 👍

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Not much today, only couple of window installation.

I went and picked up a couple of guitars a guy wants some work done to last night. Today I worked on a Taylor GS mini. A small guitar that had the strings way off the neck and played lousy. I started by lowering the saddle, and went too far. So I ended up making a new bone saddle for it for free. My mistake, mine to fix. It came out pretty nice though. Only the second saddle that I’ve made starting from a chunk of bone. The intonation came out almost dead on.

Attachments:

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Ah ok , that’s why the blocks aren’t out more to the edge , it’s to accommodate the old style log cabin , thanks for the update and explanation

Well, we’ll see about that after the top is lowered on. I worked with a new concrete guy today and he just about smashed out one of the walls swinging a chute full of mud right into the empty blocks. Luckily none fell all the way off and I was able to get it back in line as much as I could just visually, but man, that was hard to handle. Watching the guy drive before that hadn’t exactly made me trust his abilities, and so I was close to screaming at him in frustration at that point. I don’t think I’ve ever had an operator that terrible. But we made it through, and that phase is done. Once it all sets I’ll tighten the PT plates down and it’ll be ready to have the top set onto it.

I had about 1/4 of a yard left at the end so I had him dump it at the doorway to make a little entrance pad. The HO came home just afterward and I suggested the kids out their names into it, so that was fun 🙂

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Well it has been a busy week for me so far. Back working on Bulk tea this week. I don’t mind it. But it is alot work for one person too do.
    We had small celebration for my oldst daughter’s birthday on Tuesday at my parents place.
    Since January I have been without Doctor I had to go to clinic to see about getting a repeat on a prescription I have been taking and I asked to see urologist about other matter. This was my first time being examined by a medical student then talking to a doctor on big screen tv. It went really well. I was the only patient there. Then I off to the rink to watch one daughter figure skate. Then my other other daughter had hockey practice

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Well, we’ll see about that after the top is lowered on. I worked with a new concrete guy today and he just about smashed out one of the walls swinging a chute full of mud right into the empty blocks. Luckily none fell all the way off and I was able to get it back in line as much as I could just visually, but man, that was hard to handle. Watching the guy drive before that hadn’t exactly made me trust his abilities, and so I was close to screaming at him in frustration at that point. I don’t think I’ve ever had an operator that terrible. But we made it through, and that phase is done. Once it all sets I’ll tighten the PT plates down and it’ll be ready to have the top set onto it.

I had about 1/4 of a yard left at the end so I had him dump it at the doorway to make a little entrance pad. The HO came home just afterward and I suggested the kids out their names into it, so that was fun 🙂

Yikes , yeah I would have been panicking about that , good thing you caught it quickly and fixed it up , it’s looking good
    Nice gesture to have the kids put the names in the cement.

Received my hot work permit ,
    Cleaned up some Pyrex glass to fix up the manifold , after that , I will be welding the uranium glass to the schott glass to be able to weld it up to the manifold ,
    After work I’ll try to get some fence caps made , and cut the grass.

Another day, another guitar. This one is an Epiphone ES 339. It’s basically an ES 335 with the body scaled down. It was in for a set up and to change the pick up covers. It was a nice break from working on the house. Hard to photograph the beautiful paint job on it. Metalic black and the binding is a silver metal flake.

Another day, another guitar. This one is an Epiphone ES 339. It’s basically an ES 335 with the body scaled down. It was in for a set up and to change the pick up covers. It was a nice break from working on the house. Hard to photograph the beautiful paint job on it. Metalic black and the binding is a silver metal flake.

You lost me after ES LoL
    Definitely a nice guitar , and yeah beautiful paint job ,
    Just a tune up for this one Jim ?
    I’m sure it’s a nice break
    I guess your name must be out there for tuning guitars.

Doobie

Well, got a very unpleasant and sad phone call that woke us this morning. The town’s animal services called to say that our cat was found early this morning by someone walking their dog near our house half eaten by what was likely a coyote. Wifey is upstairs crying. Gonna miss Cleo. She was a good cat. RIP ‘babies’. 😓

I changed the chrome pick up covers too. But yes, just a regular seasonal tweak for the wood movement. Word is spreading slowly about my work. My cost is about 2/3 of the big shop most use, and I do a better and more complete job. I actually check and adjust all the parameters needed, plus I do a pretty good cleaning, lubing and maintenance on them.

When you bring them into the big stores for a set up, they usually just change the strings, check the intonation and charge you $75. I go through the whole process of neck relief, string height, pick up height, intonation, plus I clean all the frets and finger board, oil the finger board, check all the fasteners and electronics, put a drop of oil on moving parts, graphite on the nut, and clean everything that’s not normally accessible when the strings are on. I charge $50 for that. Not including parts and strings.

I changed the chrome pick up covers too. But yes, just a regular seasonal tweak for the wood movement. Word is spreading slowly about my work. My cost is about 2/3 of the big shop most use, and I do a better and more complete job. I actually check and adjust all the parameters needed, plus I do a pretty good cleaning, lubing and maintenance on them.

When you bring them into the big stores for a set up, they usually just change the strings, check the intonation and charge you $75. I go through the whole process of neck relief, string height, pick up height, intonation, plus I clean all the frets and finger board, oil the finger board, check all the fasteners and electronics, put a drop of oil on moving parts, graphite on the nut, and clean everything that’s not normally accessible when the strings are on. I charge $50 for that. Not including parts and strings.

Wow , that’s a big difference in not just the cost , but more importantly , you take the time to check everything , plus it seems like it’s partly a passion for you. That makes it fun also
    Good to hear that Jim , and I’m sure you’ll be busy with repeat clients ,

Viewing 20 posts - 521 through 540 (of 1,001 total)
  • The topic ‘V-38 What did you do in the shop / site today?’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 0.696 seconds