dcsimg

V-38 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 1,001 total)
  • Author
    MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Starting to get my welding table and metal working section set up in the new extension.

Excellent! Is that your welding table that is showing in the picture?

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Today shop time consisted of trying to find all the ‘fixings’ I needed to get the brake lights on the 5th-wheel working again. Better organization of electrical connectors/splices/spare wire is definitely in order. Long story short – the brake lights work again, so that’s good.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Doobie

We went lookin for a new vehicle today. Not out of necessity, just observance prudence maybe. Ours is a 10 yo Sante Fe that we’ve plunked in $3300 so far this year in repairs once I added up the invoices in my tax expenses file on it.

I like to burn cars reasonably til they’re junk and feel I’ve truly got my money’s worth and more, but when their annual repairs get close to or beyond 50% of their value, I know it’s time to look to change cars.

Wifey wants a used circa 2015 Cadi SUV SRX. Hmmmm….I’ve got my reservations. I do leave the choice of what vehicle to get next to wifey to some degree as long as I have some basic needs met, but I’m the ruthless and heartless negotiator in any of this matter.

Wifey cringes at times with some of the poignant things I do in negotiations, but once out of the sphere of the encounter is ready to finally put that bronze bust in my image on our front lawn. Lol! Wifey is real big on saving money but has no gonads of her own to do it herself in such situations.

Me, I’m not there to be friends with a car sales rep, nor to be rude or insulting either, it’s all very professional, but it is to the point that matters….what is the price!( It’s a negotiation for auto purchases. It needs to be tough and hard to get to a bottom line for the buyer.

Today, we walked away. The counter offer was a joke. I was offering 18K on what was listed as $21990. Junior buddy sales rep came back with $800 less. Haha! Says he can go back and maybe shave off $200 more. More Haha!

We get home a few hours later, we get a phone call from what I could easily tell was the newbie car sales rep we were dealing with… ‘Somebody is coming Saturday to look at it’. Whoop-ty-friggin’-doo! I might call them Wednesday now and say I feel my initial offer was too high and suggest $17K. Might not even bother Wednesday. Never let your opponent know you are really interested. Act indifferent.

I don’t care who I ‘un-raffle’. ‘You’re selling me a high priced negotiable item, and you all tend to be liars and sleaze balls’, so I attack accordingly. Not all car pruchase situations may be so draconian, but unfortunately, most of them are. I’m quite good at this, meanwhile, I’m not like this at all in almost any other purchase interaction including people buying from me. I just know that I’m never gonna be goin’ fishin’ with this person and likely never deal with them ever again never mind even being on a simpleton Christmas card list.

Test drove an SRX today. Just a base model. It was OK. But nothing special in my mind. Base model doesn’t have the rear view camera, which we’ve never had before, but I know getting older and lazy would be nice. Doesn’t have the sunroof as the jext step up premium has, but only wifey likes sunroofs. Me, I hate them and just think they are water infiltration points over time.

Our present Sante Fe SUV really sucks for viewing the back side, especially at nite with its super tinted windows. I’m hoping and prayin’ sometimes backin it up out of our driveway or out of parking spaces although I try as much as I can to back in whenever I can.

Problem is, on our busy street, that’s usually not possible even for our own driveway. That’s my real concern with jumping up to a ‘luxury’ version of this vehicle, but that’s $5K more even though you get a host of other trinkets more. Hmmmmm….

Don’t really need navigation as now we use our Google Maps for that stuff as it is. Blindside alert….not sure if that’s really necessary either. There’s a host of other doodads. Just have never had before and not thinking we NEED!

There’s no possibility of a pick up as an option over an SUV. Not just wifey, but I know having a PU has its trade offs. Forty dollar, Lowes delivery charges become mute real fast.

Her friends are suggestion all sorts of other import SUVs, but that’s just their pre-dispositions with what they own already. Might sound sexist, but I’m not overly gonna listen to most women talk about their cars. Nuff said on that.

Gotta say, since I was a kid, I always thought it would be cool to own a Cadi, but that’s when they were just cars, not SUVs. The feeling of such is still there, but nothing overidding in a sense to have a Cadi in my driveway.

Not a fan of imports for the most part anyways unless I was deliriously not caring about money and repair bills. I see what people pay for repairs on their imports doin people’s taxes. I gotta say, some stupid money high end Mercedes of WHATEVER might appeal to me. Never owjed one, just knowing its rep, I’d likely buy their stupidly priced ‘whatever’ if I could afford it.

I know the real angst of what happened decades ago to have that idea is no longer applicable with NA vehicles. My mechanic agrees with such also which we dropped by today to pick up a new headlight burnt out bulb in discussing with them. They’ve been heavenly honest with us for over a decade now since we found them. Gotta trust an honest mechanic on such imo.

I’ve never been a car nut/hound. It’s a tool to me that drepreciates dramatically and serves a utilitarian purpose for the most part for me. I won’t drive a junker unless I brought it to that state justfor my own relishing of doing such, and having a fancy schmancy car to show off is not me either. Funny thing is, I’m having a hard time NOT justifying going for an older Cadi versus other SUVs of its era looking at AutoTrader. Go figure?

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Worked on the drywall in the spare bedroom yesterday. On to mudding and taping today.

Update: My daughter went to see the doctor about her broken arm today. Wifey just sent a message to say. Her arm is healed no more cast. This is good news. She had the cast on for 3 weeks.

Wow that’s great news Greg , ah to be young again and heal fast

Yes it is great news. Your right to be young again and heal fast.
    I figured it might be healed as she hasn’t complained of pain much this week. Just her was really itchy.
    She pulled her cast off in the cast clinic at hospital with approval first. This something she has been wanting to all week. When she noticed it slide half way down her arm in bed.

Haha that’s funny. Like she couldn’t wait to get it off. Those new casts are great. I remember when I fractured my arm a cast for the armpit all the way around my wrist and for months , then I had the chicken pocks at the same time LoL.

Glad to hear she’s doing better 🥰

Yeah it is funny. She has been wanting to take the cast off for days. Yeah the new casts are great.
    Wow that would really sucked to have a cast all the way up to your armpit. Then on top of that have the chicken pocks.
    I was telling my wife today the way our daughter held her broken are with other hand reminds me of my Grandfather. He broke is arm and wouldn’t tell my Grandmother what happen. He would just hold his arm with other hand for nearly 2 weeks. One day my Grandmother told you need to talk to your Grandfather and see what happen. I remember convincing him to go to the doctors. By the time he saw the doctor it was already healing. The doctor gave him a support brace to wear. We found out how he broke his arm. He was cutting hay with his team of horses. When the horses ran away on him. After that happen he sold that team of horses. He end up buying other team of horses. He always had to be around horses.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

@Doobie funny you mention that , I had my Kia Sorento serviced yesterday
    I know it’s gonna need more work = more money , it’s 7 years old , been very good. I actually went to look at a GMC canyon yesterday
    Just started looking. I’ll eventually take a day off and go test drive a few , I like the idea of SUV for keeping tools and accessories out of the elements
    I think if I were to get a pick up , I might opt for a cover for the back , either the box or a better weather proof cover.

Today it’s appointment day , first one in the morning with the bank and try to get some yard work done , then I have to bring in our little Pug , believe he’s got an ear infection.

Oh yeah just finished washing my car

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I got a bit of more work done on the spare bedroom yesterday. I got some taping & mudding done. I had do a big clean up before I started. Had my oldest daughter help with that. I had few interruptions with phone calls. One setting up appointment to have my new internet install on Tuesday of next week.
    After dinner we went as family to a Drive In to watch a movie. I have never been to a Drive In before. Wifey packed drinks and snacks for everyone. We had the back of the van facing the big screen. The girls sat in the back with hatch open and wifey & I sat in lawn chairs. It was pretty good time other the odd attack by mosquitoes. I also learnt that is Drive In is one of 18 left in Ontario Canada.

Greg

Starting to get my welding table and metal working section set up in the new extension.

Excellent! Is that your welding table that is showing in the picture?

Yes it was my Dad’s from on the farm, it needs some work and cleaning, but it was the right price and has sentimental value.

Will

So far today.

I got one old window out with a lot of wrestling and creative language. I got the frame adjusted for the new window, I am putting in shorter ones. Now I have everything firred out so I have nicer edges to work with. Taking a coffee break right now while the primer for the Resist tape dries.

I ordered the windows for a 30″ rough opening. They built the windows 30″. Sheesh! Got them far enough back that return is not feasable. Good news though, my rough opening is 30 3/8″, so I think I have just enough room.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

So far today.

I got one old window out with a lot of wrestling and creative language. I got the frame adjusted for the new window, I am putting in shorter ones. Now I have everything firred out so I have nicer edges to work with. Taking a coffee break right now while the primer for the Resist tape dries.

I ordered the windows for a 30″ rough opening. They built the windows 30″. Sheesh! Got them far enough back that return is not feasable. Good news though, my rough opening is 30 3/8″, so I think I have just enough room.

Good stuff Jim , will you finish each one completely , or wait until all of them are installed to finish up the trim outside and inside.

will you finish each one completely , or wait until all of them are installed to finish up the trim outside and inside.

I will get them all installed then do the siding and trim. The schedule I set for myself is getting one in per day due to the way the old ones are installed. So far I am pretty much right on schedule. You learn on the first, the next ones ought to go quicker.

Attachments:

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed a door in the morning and then a window at a different address.
    No pics.

will you finish each one completely , or wait until all of them are installed to finish up the trim outside and inside.

I will get them all installed then do the siding and trim. The schedule I set for myself is getting one in per day due to the way the old ones are installed. So far I am pretty much right on schedule. You learn on the first, the next ones ought to go quicker.

Definitely easier after the first one. Are you changing all of the siding. Or just finishing up around the windows.

Are you changing all of the siding. Or just finishing up around the windows.

I have 4 extra strips of siding from when I did it. If I am lucky, I can fudge the trim on the new windows and the ones cut around the bottom of the old windows will move up and go around the new windows. Then I will just piece together under that so it looks like it was always that way.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Looks good Jim. One a day is not bad. Unless they go quicker then you figured.

Greg

Doobie

Worked on figuring out certain aspects of my cabana build. Came to a realization that I need to improvise its base as otherwise I won’t have enough height for its entrance door. Its one of those instances where every inch counts. Still working out some of the details before finally taking this on.

Productive day. Along with getting the window in I edited a video this evening. Will finish up on it tomorrow and release it.
    I don’t think I will be getting another window done tomorrow. We have company coming and I have some nice thick rib steaks marinating right now. Wife wants to clean some siding before company comes over. There may be beer involved with the barbique.

Are you changing all of the siding. Or just finishing up around the windows.

I have 4 extra strips of siding from when I did it. If I am lucky, I can fudge the trim on the new windows and the ones cut around the bottom of the old windows will move up and go around the new windows. Then I will just piece together under that so it looks like it was always that way.

That sounds like it should be perfect ,

This is for your next post down LoL
    That’s funny
    Should be 🍻 involved 😉

Today is just doing little odd things done around the house before I go back to work Monday.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I put in about 200 square feet of decking today in the rain. It went pretty smoothly and I think I’ve set myself up to get a lot more done tomorrow too.

Looking good Charlie. Are wrapping the columns part of the job also?

No, just building the deck. And that’s enough for me, lol!

Charlie

Instagram

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Got the tops stained and finished for the big entertainment center.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I am still working on reorganizing cleaning and storage with the old shop and new addition. Today included a spot to store paddles

Will

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 1,001 total)
  • The topic ‘V-38 What did you do in the shop / site today?’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 1.112 seconds