dcsimg

V-36 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 841 through 860 (of 1,004 total)
  • Author
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Sorry for the exceedingly long post.

It was worth the read. It would be funny if it wasn’t true. No one can mess up a process like a bureaucracy.

Rubber would work, too, I imagine. Never thought of that. Probably last longer than cork.

I think Benchcrafted has a product they call “Crubber” that they sell specifically for vise lining you may want to look into. Being Benchcrafted it may be pricey though (plus shipping to Canada).

Edit…here’s the link… https://www.benchcrafted.com/crubber

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I think Benchcrafted has a product they call “Crubber” that they sell specifically for vise lining you may want to look into. Being Benchcrafted it may be pricey though (plus shipping to Canada).

Thanks for the link, Jim, that looks like a really good option. I hate to think what the bottom line would be to get it into my hands here in Canada though.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think Benchcrafted has a product they call “Crubber” that they sell specifically for vise lining

JDO Thank you for the link, very handy to know.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It was worth the read. It would be funny if it wasn’t true. No one can mess up a process like a bureaucracy.

Rubber would work, too, I imagine. Never thought of that. Probably last longer than cork.

Nice find Jim

@Miamicuse
    lol thanks for the info and the very funny situations ,
    I can’t believe that they would actually use drywall screws for a window installation

I do glass blowing for the company ,
    Every morning I need to call security for a hot work permit
    And I have to stop 1 hour before my shift ends
    Then security will pass by every half hour for the next three following hours

That’s the exact same process for our plumbing department and even sub contractors doing work inside the plant

Even when using a grinder to cut or grind metal
    For safety and security reasons for the insurance company.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I am waiting excitedly for spring to get some projects off the ground, and in the meantime I am trying a new venture. There is a big sugar maple in my front yard, and I’ve thought for a few years about tapping it. This year I went for it.

I put the taps in on Feb 20 or 21, and so far it’s run pretty well. I’ve gotten about half a gallon of syrup so far, and my process has gotten much better throughout the season.

See pics. The syrup is delicious!

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

One more of the tree. Had some problems with file size.

Attachments:
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I am waiting excitedly for spring to get some projects off the ground, and in the meantime I am trying a new venture. There is a big sugar maple in my front yard, and I’ve thought for a few years about tapping it. This year I went for it.

I put the taps in on Feb 20 or 21, and so far it’s run pretty well. I’ve gotten about half a gallon of syrup so far, and my process has gotten much better throughout the season.

Wow, good for you, half a gallon is a lot of syrup from one tree. Very nice light colour, too.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

There was a spot of rot inside the section of wood I was using for the swing arm of the lamp I am making, and since I was going to stain it I put some tinted epoxy in it, so here is how it looks pre-stain. I don’t want to stain until I can stain everything at the same time, and I can’t finish turning the pin until the replacement belt for the lathe comes in … sigh.

Will

🤤🤤 Did you need my mailing address lol

That’s great , can’t get fresher than that
    It looks nice and light

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Back at the truck stop doing the normal maintenance thing. I don’t see how stuff get’s torn up so quick sometimes. Even some employees don’t give a crap about taking care of stuff.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Managed to get half of the interior walls up on the duplex I’m framing today. Have to leave the other half out so the block layers can do the party wall tomorrow.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Got a bunch of caulking done in the bathroom and the kitchen. Then did some fret levelling on a bass guitar which took the rest of the day.

Just built up a few bellcranks and started another nosewheel steering unit

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I finished cutting all the drawer joints this morning and started assembly.

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Cliff notes please…

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looks like nice progress Charlie. looking good.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looks good , nice set up on the table saw

Same old here , just putting together some control column head’s to ship out in the field

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Did a bit of work fitting the second leg to my work bench. This one is not going as smoothly it seems.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Smashed my phone up pretty good while doing ceiling joists on the second duplex we have on the go right now.

Looks like the Sonim XP8 will be in my future, enough is enough with breaking silly phones.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

, those who avoid the permit process generally have something to hide.

This can be true. Sometimes I think people try to void the fees.

I really don’t know why people don’t want to pull permits.

There are good and bad reasons for permits and it’s not always $ related.

I agree with @dirtywhiteboy. Touch wood, but I have never had a bad experience with permits. They are good protection for the time and effort you put into a project. I have found inspectors to be a great source of information as well. In my experience, those who avoid the permit process generally have something to hide.

The permit process differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and unfortunately in many places have gotten away from understanding and common sense. When you couple that with planners and inspectors that are on a power trip like condo home owner association officers, you are not only talking about money, you are losing a lot of time and energy.

Having said that, I do think most people should apply for a permit especially if you do not have a good understanding in construction. Most DIYers don’t and have no business doing it especially messing with electrical and plumbing. I am a licensed engineer and worked in design and construction of many DOT projects on bridges, highways and airports for over 25 years and deal with regulators and reviewers all the time before I had a career change so I have seen this both from the inside out and outside in.

I’ll just list a few cases where the permit process fell apart.

…..

Enjoyed the reading.
    I bet that’s only the tip of the iceberg.

Viewing 20 posts - 841 through 860 (of 1,004 total)
  • The topic ‘V-36 What did you do in the shop / site today?’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.743 seconds