dcsimg

V-35 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 521 through 540 (of 1,011 total)
  • Author

Finishing up the plywood floors on the second floor of the barn

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Got the van fixed, put two of the new tires on as one has been leaking for the past year because the rim is so rusty.

I have had the same problem on my Chevy truck also. The rims rust right through. I think I may have to buy all new ones. They are even hard to find in the junk yard around here now.

Wow I never heard of anybody having problems with rims on chevy rusting through before. How old is the vehicle? Had a chevy truck a few years ago. I never had any problems.

Last Chev I owned was a Suburban. The rims were ok; but they were alloy, everything else rusted through, oil pan, differential cover, gas tank, floor, body, bumpers… everything! It had half a million kms on it but still…..

If they’re aluminum alloy rims isn’t it just blistering that needs to be ground off every so many years that causes them leak otherwise where the rim seals against the tire? I’ve had that issue before once alloy rims get somewhere past 7-10 years old.

My truck is a 2000 Silverado with 60,000 miles on it. It has steel wheels with a chrome wheel skin cover. There is a grove in the rim that seems to hold all the slop and that is where they rust thru. My last truck was a 99 Silverado 4×4 with aluminum alloy wheels and I had to have them broke down and cleaned every 2 years because the corrosion would make a slow leak. I have been shopping for some aftermarket wheels for it and new tires.

I have been shopping for some aftermarket wheels

I like the classic styles. They usually cost less too. Proven designs that work and look good.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

Got the van fixed, put two of the new tires on as one has been leaking for the past year because the rim is so rusty.

I have had the same problem on my Chevy truck also. The rims rust right through. I think I may have to buy all new ones. They are even hard to find in the junk yard around here now.

Wow I never heard of anybody having problems with rims on chevy rusting through before. How old is the vehicle? Had a chevy truck a few years ago. I never had any problems.

Last Chev I owned was a Suburban. The rims were ok; but they were alloy, everything else rusted through, oil pan, differential cover, gas tank, floor, body, bumpers… everything! It had half a million kms on it but still…..

If they’re aluminum alloy rims isn’t it just blistering that needs to be ground off every so many years that causes them leak otherwise where the rim seals against the tire? I’ve had that issue before once alloy rims get somewhere past 7-10 years old.

My truck is a 2000 Silverado with 60,000 miles on it. It has steel wheels with a chrome wheel skin cover. There is a grove in the rim that seems to hold all the slop and that is where they rust thru. My last truck was a 99 Silverado 4×4 with aluminum alloy wheels and I had to have them broke down and cleaned every 2 years because the corrosion would make a slow leak. I have been shopping for some aftermarket wheels for it and new tires.

Now I understand what kind of rim you are dealing with now. Every two years on the aluminum ones needing a clean up. Way more frequent than I ever had. They last forever but they still need maintenance regardless.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I took my frame out of the clamps, sanded and sealed it with a little BLO (mostly for color really).

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

My truck is a 2000 Silverado with 60,000 miles on it. It has steel wheels with a chrome wheel skin cover. There is a grove in the rim that seems to hold all the slop and that is where they rust thru. My last truck was a 99 Silverado 4×4 with aluminum alloy wheels and I had to have them broke down and cleaned every 2 years because the corrosion would make a slow leak. I have been shopping for some aftermarket wheels for it and new tires

My 2001 GMC Sierra had the same wheels on it. I had 250 000 km when I got rid of it. I never had a problem with the wheels.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have been shopping for some aftermarket wheels

I like the classic styles. They usually cost less too. Proven designs that work and look good.

The last aluminum one is exactly the one I am thinking about getting.
    If I could find them , what I really would like is the old school Cragger wheels. They were steel with chrome on them.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I took my frame out of the clamps, sanded and sealed it with a little BLO (mostly for color really).

They came out real nice Charlie.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Now that winter is coming I am back to work on my addition .I just finished replacing the last exterior wall from 2×3 to 2×6 . I am also finally getting a new furnace installed in my house this coming week .

Now that winter is coming I am back to work on my addition .I just finished replacing the last exterior wall from 2×3 to 2×6 . I am also finally getting a new furnace installed in my house this coming week .

That’s going to be a big improvement when it’s all insulated going from 2×3 to 2×6
    Nice work John,

@cmeyer25 those signs came out great Charlie , I’m sure they will be happy

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Nice job @cranbrook2 . What will you use for siding?
    You should stay nice and warm this winter.

The last aluminum one is exactly the one I am thinking about getting.
    If I could find them

Time for a trip down to your local Speed Shop or 4 x 4 shop if you have them. Otherwise, they probably can be found online. Try the Tire Rack, they don’t have Cragar, but a lot of other brands.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Should make a big difference this winter John.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I am still trying to decide what to do with the exterior walls , im not a big fan of vinyl siding .

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Your frames turned out good. The BLO does give it some colour.

Nice work! When insulated the 2 x 6 walls will be much warmer.

Did some odd jobs outside yesterday. I also installed a new chain guard I got off Ebay for my daughter’s bike. It fit perfect. The price was right.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

I am still trying to decide what to do with the exterior walls , im not a big fan of vinyl siding .

Neither am I. I’ve been going with James Hardie fiber cement horizontal plank siding for all my stuff outside I’ve been building. Eventually I want to replace my old aluminum vertical siding on my house with it also.

Takes longer to install than vinyl, but will likely never need painting and will last a lot longer too.

A got a spark or 2 on the 220v starter on the sharper so I pulled the cord off of it as it appears damaged at the strain relief so I am cutting off a section and rewiring it.

Will

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Have you considered pine or cedar board and batten? You have a good supply of it there.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

Closed the pool today finally. Above ground pools are such a pain to close but at least I got it all done in one day this year. Just have a few things to put in storage and I’m done. Had to move a bunch of lumber I inadvertently stored to close to the pool earlier in the summer not thinking thru about clearances I need to latch down the suspended tarp system we have for the pool cover. I’m beat. Feet are numb.

Should be getting on with removing my pool mechanicals sometime this week off the BS patio stones the pool’s company installers plunk them on when it was installed a few years ago and make my form for them. I just gotta get that last big concrete job done for the season. There’s a couple of other smallish mixes to do for posts, but those I don’t even think I need my son to help and will maybe do them on my own some weekday when he’s in school at some point. Gotta move on this as the overnites are creeping to freezing temps and that’s not good for concrete.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Finishing up the plywood floors on the second floor of the barn

Very nice clean looking framing! .

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 521 through 540 (of 1,011 total)
  • The topic ‘V-35 What did you do in the shop / site today?’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 0.932 seconds