dcsimg

V-32 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 981 through 1,000 (of 1,004 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Thank you for sharing that Kurt and for the great pics and succinctly detailed explanation. I really really enjoyed reading that.

I was particularly impressed with this welded chain and flail technique to widden the hole below the floor. That’s brilliant!

We made a flail to loosen the sand around the edges and in the bottom of the hole by welding 3 short pieces of chain to a 1/2″ rod and spinning it in the hole. We would spin the flail then stop and suck everything loose out of the hole with the shop vac. we repeated this process until the hole was the proper size.

You should get BTP forum bonus points for a post like this imo, especially having used the Bosch dust shroud accesory in accomplishing the task. Kudos man! 👍

Wink wink @bethepro, or whoever is at the helm right now.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Today I worked at getting shelving supports up in the bathroom. It’s the first time I’ve really worked with a laser level, and I had the GLL2 going, which was just perfect for such a small space.

Charlie

Instagram

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Non productive day. Fought a splitting headache for most of the day that just about laid me out until late afternoon. Seems better now.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

It was demo day on a new deck job…and what a mess it turned out to be.

I knew the deck was sagging in a specific area due to a lack of support posts (apparently they just forgot one…right in the center of the deck). Anyway…new post and a beam of sorts tied into the adjacent posts, all new stairs, decking and a bit of a refurb on the railing.

Has anyone seen or used hog fencing for a deck railing? Apparently it’s gaining popularity and the homeowner wants to have it installed. (Picture below )

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I knew the deck was sagging in a specific area during to a lack of support posts (apparently they just forgot one…right in the center of the deck). Anyway…new post and a beam of sorts tied into the adjacent posts, all new stairs, decking and a bit of a refurb on the railing.

Has anyone seen or used hog fencing for a deck railing? Apparently it’s gaining popularity and the homeowner wants to have it installed. (Picture below )

we will be using it for the trealasis on a pergola we will be building in a couple weeks. It gives a nice industrial look if that is what you are looking at. Where did you get yours.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Has anyone seen or used hog fencing for a deck railing? Apparently it’s gaining popularity and the homeowner wants to have it installed.

No, but it’s an interesting look. I would check about it meeting code though. I think the code here refers to a ball of a certain size is not allowed to fit through anywhere, and not being able to climb it (as in a child going over the top). If it keeps in a hog though, I would not doubt it’s strength. So to avoid any liability, I would check.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

we will be using it for the trealasis on a pergola we will be building in a couple weeks. It gives a nice industrial look if that is what you are looking at. Where did you get yours.

Interesting @kurtwelkerhomes-com! I have a pergola scheduled for later this summer that will be part of a rose garden. The customer wants the sides to have a trellis, but they don’t want the standard diamond pattern wood stuff. Maybe I’ll suggest this product for that application.

I haven’t bought it yet, but one of the local yards stocks a brand called “Hog Wild Railing”.

Has anyone seen or used hog fencing for a deck railing? Apparently it’s gaining popularity and the homeowner wants to have it installed.

No, but it’s an interesting look. I would check about it meeting code though. I think the code here refers to a ball of a certain size is not allowed to fit through anywhere, and not being able to climb it (as in a child going over the top). If it keeps in a hog though, I would not doubt it’s strength. So to avoid any liability, I would check.

It should be compliant in my area. The code says the spacing has to be “less than 4 inches” and I’ve never heard of one of the inspectors taking issue with the climbing factor, although it may happen at some point…but I’ll triple check anyway!

As for the strength, it is made of 6 gauge steel and welded at each intersection, so I’m guessing it will be about bulletproof.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Clev08
    Pro

I knew the deck was sagging in a specific area during to a lack of support posts (apparently they just forgot one…right in the center of the deck). Anyway…new post and a beam of sorts tied into the adjacent posts, all new stairs, decking and a bit of a refurb on the railing.

Will you be putting Gtape on the joist to help them last as long as the new decking?

Today I finished the trim for the transom and started making 14 shelves to go in the built ins on either side of the fireplace.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Thank you for sharing that Kurt and for the great pics and succinctly detailed explanation. I really really enjoyed reading that.

I was particularly impressed with this welded chain and flail technique to widden the hole below the floor. That’s brilliant!

We made a flail to loosen the sand around the edges and in the bottom of the hole by welding 3 short pieces of chain to a 1/2″ rod and spinning it in the hole. We would spin the flail then stop and suck everything loose out of the hole with the shop vac. we repeated this process until the hole was the proper size.

You should get BTP forum bonus points for a post like this imo, especially having used the Bosch dust shroud accesory in accomplishing the task. Kudos man! 👍

Wink wink @bethepro, or whoever is at the helm right now.

Thanks, @doobie, I should have mentioned that we spun the flail in a drill. Rereading what I wrote it was not clear. It was the best way I could come up with to undercut the floor as much as we needed other than the fingernail method, and I was not fond of that one

KeeganC
    Pro
    Bloomington, IN

@jponto07
    We used it on a project a couple years ago, just on that one job, on 2 decks outside and even used it on the interior… but this was with galvanized metal posts and angle iron framing around the perimeter. I do see it all over the place now, and it is a clean and slightly industrial or even better “agricultural” look, lol.
    I’d check pricing against the farm supply stores if you’re looking at buying it through a lumber yard. Might be cheaper, but if they’re selling it as deck railing now maybe they include some hardware to make it a little more user friendly for that application.

Attachments:

jponto07 We used it on a project a couple years ago, just on that one job, on 2 decks outside and even used it on the interior… but this was with galvanized metal posts and angle iron framing around the perimeter. I do see it all over the place now, and it is a clean and slightly industrial or even better “agricultural” look, lol.
    I’d check pricing against the farm supply stores if you’re looking at buying it through a lumber yard. Might be cheaper, but if they’re selling it as deck railing now maybe they include some hardware to make it a little more user friendly for that application.

Wow, that’s a beautiful job you guys can,
    Interesting choice for a railing.
    Nice, but just interesting.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

jponto07 We used it on a project a couple years ago, just on that one job, on 2 decks outside and even used it on the interior… but this was with galvanized metal posts and angle iron framing around the perimeter. I do see it all over the place now, and it is a clean and slightly industrial or even better “agricultural” look, lol.

That looks great!

Bender sells the stuff as a deck railing kit, along with metal tracks that are installed along the perimeter to hold the panels in place. Its been a while since I asked about the price, but it was quite a bit cheaper than I expected.

Jon P.
    Instagram

KeeganC
    Pro
    Bloomington, IN

Nice, I figured there was some sort of innovation to go with it if they were selling it as a legitimate railing now…. Probably looks even cleaner too

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Got the last cabinet build for reruns closet this morning before the grand baby’s showed up. Guess shop time will have to wait.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Attachments:
    KeeganC
    Pro
    Bloomington, IN

@Boschmanbrian
    one of many interesting choices on that job, how about bright red windows against corrugated galvanized siding on the majority of the house. Some referred to it as a giant chicken coop, some said airplane hangar…to each their own I guess. The small section that you see in the background was fiber cement in an interesting pattern, that was actually pretty fun.

Attachments:
    Doobie

That wouldn’t be allowed here at all. The toddler climbing factor is the nono. They don’t even allow horizontal fence boards here although some still do it.

code says the spacing has to be “less than 4 inches”

Same over here as well. But unless a permit or complaint is lodged people infract on this as well quite often.

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

Got the last cabinet build for reruns closet this morning before the grand baby’s showed up. Guess shop time will have to wait.

well ill be over in the morning to get then and start on paint they look good

@boschmanbrian one of many interesting choices on that job, how about bright red windows against corrugated galvanized siding on the majority of the house. Some referred to it as a giant chicken coop, some said airplane hangar…to each their own I guess. The small section that you see in the background was fiber cement in an interesting pattern, that was actually pretty fun.

Wow, that looks interesting, I actually like it.

@RonW
    looking nice Ron,

Well I got the chitty job, first took my daughter to I jump for a birthday party, figure I would take the time to repaint her room, that’s not happening lol I had to fix a leaking toilet

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Easy weekend day today for me. A little headboard work in the shop, and then a little rearranging the house with my wife.

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

I had to fix a leaking toilet

Not a leak, but I bought a new valve and flapper for the toilet upstairs. It’s likely due to be changed anyways and the current one that’s been there now for the last ten years takes forever to fill the tank. Going with another brand (Korky) than Fluidmaster this time recommended by the guy at HD who was helping me earlier this week with my clogged sink dillemas. I’m also gonna change the shut off to a ball valve type.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.quietfillplatinumfill-valve–flapper-kit.1000838188.html

Viewing 20 posts - 981 through 1,000 (of 1,004 total)
  • The topic ‘V-32 What did you do in the shop / site today?’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.288 seconds