dcsimg

V-31 What did you do in the shop site today?

• This topic has 1,000 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by RonW.
Viewing 20 posts - 601 through 620 (of 1,001 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I don’t know why I agree to make these things…so much time, and so little money. I guess its a fun project and I know they will be around for years, so that helps.

Here’s a mock up of what I sent the parents:

Brad used to make those, @thedude306 I always thought they were pretty cool. I have thought about making them and giving them to young families as a house warming gift.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Yup, still making them! I went to decals for the numbers and custom order names if they want. Like anything making one or two sucks. When I get enough scraps I make a bunch all at once. I made a jig for the planer and the router. Lost money on the first two but now they are a money maker.

As with all this “arts and crafty” stuff it’s about hitting the trade/craft shows. Which I hate and therefor don’t. but good money could be made.

The only thing I won’t make for money anymore is the 2×4 Jenga sets. No way to make it work. To much labor to get the blocks smooth and painted (which you have to do or the blocks weather and don’t slide.

I don’t know why I agree to make these things…so much time, and so little money. I guess its a fun project and I know they will be around for years, so that helps.

Brad used to make those, @thedude306 I always thought they were pretty cool. I have thought about making them and giving them to young families as a house warming gift.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Looks amazing Jon, I would definitely order one from you if I lived closer, I assume that the shipping cost would most likely be outrageous, I would even make one myself if I had the time.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Yup, still making them! I went to decals for the numbers and custom order names if they want. Like anything making one or two sucks. When I get enough scraps I make a bunch all at once. I made a jig for the planer and the router. Lost money on the first two but now they are a money maker.

As with all this “arts and crafty” stuff it’s about hitting the trade/craft shows. Which I hate and therefor don’t. but good money could be made.

The only thing I won’t make for money anymore is the 2×4 Jenga sets. No way to make it work. To much labor to get the blocks smooth and painted (which you have to do or the blocks weather and don’t slide.

@thedude306 good to hear from your again Brad, was not sure if you were still around. Hope all is well with you and your family.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Showed up at one of the log cabin renos this morning, and the place was locked up, with no carpenters in sight, and the hidden key now not there. Homeowner has told them that her recent back operation has her tapped-out, and now everything is on hold for a bit, but I’m sure it’s that she’s just done with them, with them taking forever, and having every excuse under the sun for that. Upscale city folks hiring rednecks to save a buck never seems to work out. I’m ahead on funds, so will just wait and see how it plays out.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Spent a good chunk of the day catching up on paper work and finishing off some quotes for spring jobs, and managed to get my trailer half organized.

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

went out and looked at the shop turned around and went inside that a job that’s going to take some time to get organized

Showed up at one of the log cabin renos this morning, and the place was locked up, with no carpenters in sight, and the hidden key now not there. Homeowner has told them that her recent back operation has her tapped-out, and now everything is on hold for a bit, but I’m sure it’s that she’s just done with them, with them taking forever, and having every excuse under the sun for that. Upscale city folks hiring rednecks to save a buck never seems to work out. I’m ahead on funds, so will just wait and see how it plays out.

Oh man, that’s a crappie situation to be in. Are they paying them by hour I assume? Otherwise if they drag out the work that was per contract, that definitely does not make sense. ,
    To bad for you D, hopefully the drive was not that far for you.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Today I was working on building the cofford ceiling.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Spent the day getting a kitchen ready to go back together. Had to move all the wires that were in the soffit over cabinets that was removed.

The last house we finished was sold already. The first person to look at it bought it.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

The last house we finished was sold already. The first person to look at it bought it.

Wow, that speaks well for your work, Ron.

I noticed on the listing that you were priced higher than comparables in your market. Selling so quickly must really feel good.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Good deal right there, looks like the housing market is coming back in your area.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

I was playing with my bandsaw for re-sawing some birdseye maple, it worked really well.

Will

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh man, that’s a crappie situation to be in. Are they paying them by hour I assume? Otherwise if they drag out the work that was per contract, that definitely does not make sense. ,
    To bad for you D, hopefully the drive was not that far for you.

Carpenters said that they owe them $17K in extras, and pursuing a lien. Whether they’ve been invoicing them all along for those changes, or just springing that on them now, I don’t know, but there’s definitely fault on both sides. Things move a lot slower up here, and the big city folks that come for the lakes and the skiing often just have unreasonable expectations.

Anyway, lousy situation, but thankfully not something that seems to happen often around here. I certainly don’t like the idea of leaving my work half-finished. Whether I’ll get a call from the homeowners on being involved further, I don’t know.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Did a little job today hanging and trimming out 3 interior doors. Got to give my new Flexvolt air compressor a good tryout – very, very happy with it.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

My cold has got worse today. I had to take today off work. I hope I am better tomorrow. So not much going on here.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Took a bit of a walk around today shooting video. Went into the shop with the camera and it needs sorting out a bit. When it’s cold I go in, grab what I need and then I just put it on whatever horizontal surface is handy instead of putting it away.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Seems like I just cannot get caught up on paperwork. Spent the whole day in the office working on designs and bids. On the plus side it looks like it will be a busy year.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Got the bath at reruns house painted. Started laying out some bookcases for his office. Then ran almost to Nashville and got 200 board feet of oak for them.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Spent most of the day sleeping. Every joint hurts along with my stomach & head aching. Thankfully nothing more but I feel like I just got run over. Hope you guys don’t have to deal with this.

Viewing 20 posts - 601 through 620 (of 1,001 total)
  • The topic ‘V-31 What did you do in the shop site today?’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 0.786 seconds