dcsimg

V-30 What did you do in the shop site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 481 through 500 (of 1,006 total)
  • Author
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

started the morning by installing the bullet catch strike plates on all the double doors on teh closets

from there i installed the vinyl click flooring on the stair landinds as well as the stair treads and risers.. hardwood treads werent in the budget any longer so.. vinyl it was

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I still working on the siding today.

Doobie

Despite WANTING to finish the one gable end today and other minor trim work on my shed build, I went and did the things I should do before our first blast of real cold and nasty winter weather. Man, I’m I glad I chose ‘needs’ over ‘wants’. There was way more to do and delays than I imagined. But it was all good at the end of of it all which is in fact minutes ago this late at night from working almost non-stop since early this morning.

To compound things the weather for rain changed to kick in earlier than expected and I just got the tarp off my temporary summer covered for summer use shelter off in time as it started to rain. I was racing back and forth like a sprinter trying solo to fold that big sucker up as the rain started, but it got done and put away. I can still move pretty good for a guy in his 50’s I said to myself afterwards. Lol!

I also almost forgot with the temps going to super below freezing into tomorrow I needed to un-pot all our potted flowers that are in these nice glazed pots which would otherwise freeze and potentially break by tomorrow. Aaaargh! But I put on my rain gear and proceeded as such to de’earth them and store those pots my wife and also myself love away safely for the winter.

I was furious working today and also with having to bring in the bikes and other items kept under my temp canopy went about reorganizing the shed and making special spots for some things to be hung up so as to still give me some room to work in the ensuing weeks otherwise.

Can’t believe I got this all done in one day and into the night along with taking my wife out for a birthday celebration at a local pub for wings and beer with our son.

Here’s some semi-proud work pics of how I refitted my shed this year. I moved around a lot of stuff today and the key was to spend some time with a tape measure and my ingenuity to figure out how to eliminate having two utility carts from being on the floor and instead hung up out of the way for the winter so that I can still work in there for some of the rest of the season.

Real happy with what got accomplished today. Once the deep freeze of the next few days is over, I should be able to get that darn final gable end trim plank installed when temps go back above freezing and the weather system clears from us by early next week.

I can tell that the final piece of that gable end is a must to more or less ‘finish’ the look on that side of the shed which is the most prominent to the neighbors and anybody viewing from the street/sidewalk. Wish I coulda done it today, but I chose my battles properly properly considering what’s at real stake.

monman1
    Pro

Had fix this 3 ply truss that the framer put in backwords.

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

Attachments:

Framing away on a new custom house 👍
    We’re working on the exterior walls right now in the basement… The pictures just show the shoring for the suspended slab.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Wow, that’s a heck of a house, the back is incredible with all those balconies.
    Definitely want to see more of this build

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Doing some more flooring today.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Still working on the windows on this old house, looking better every day!

@Doobie wow, that’s looking really nice Kevin, great job, definitely like the colors,
    You really know how to get the most of the space, I know how you feel.

You might have to build another shed, basic one just for storage lol

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Yesterday I was working in a house and the guy that built it was an engineer. He over engineered everything I have never seen anything like it. The walls, at the least the exterior walls were 2×6 Steel studs. I had to go in the attic and the roof/trusses was red iron. It was not a big house. 2000 sq. ft.

Yesterday I was working in a house and the guy that built it was an engineer. He over engineered everything I have never seen anything like it. The walls, at the least the exterior walls were 2×6 Steel studs. I had to go in the attic and the roof/trusses was red iron. It was not a big house. 2000 sq. ft.

Mine is like that. The engineer built it as the model home for the development, and kept it for his family. Built in the 1950s, its all 2×6 and 2×8 (actual, not nominal) walls, 2×12 joists, an Ibeam with railroad ties over it, and a 2’x2′ concrete support under it.

I had to fix some old chairs where the tenons were half gone and the mortises were worn wide open. Dutchman with the Festool Domino, then appropriate floating tenons.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I started on the roof yesterday .I was hoping to get it closed in today but I think ill wait a day or two until it warms up .

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I started on the roof yesterday .I was hoping to get it closed in today but I think ill wait a day or two until it warms up .

..and it stops snowing!

Looks good, John

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Wow! Chugging right along there. Very interested in your progress. It’s looking very good.

Doobie

That’s my game plan too. Let this cold front go away before getting back out there. Lookin’ good John. You sure make it look easy. 👍

doobie wow, that’s looking really nice Kevin, great job, definitely like the colors,
    You really know how to get the most of the space, I know how you feel.

It’s one thing I’m pretty good at…..figuring out space. You should see my main shop up close. Pics don’t/can’t do it justice.

You might have to build another shed, basic one just for storage lol

Don’t forget I also have a whole upper half height upper storage area too in my shed. Right now I have some stuff up there but it needs to get a little more organized and have lighting installed before I put even more stuff up there. Most things up there will be stored in bins on dollies.

There’s also a lean-to shed I will build for the mower/blower and bikes storage next year as well. I wanted to get that done this fall, but it’s getting a bit late to get that going now. Think the ground might freeze over with this cold snap we’re getting. Last year the ground didn’t freeze til after mid-December.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Had fix this 3 ply truss that the framer put in backwords.

Truss fixes are never fun, it always seems like you are working with limited headroom in very confined areas. With Our area, the city practically counts every nail in the fix to make sure it is done correctly.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Kurt that wine rack is especially nice. Great job. Did you cut that out on the band saw? What kind of wood is that?

lots of odds and ends today, had a couple of meetings. this evening I almost got a couple items wrapped up for a silent auction tomorrow. A few minutes in the morning to mount the clock mechanism and add a little felt to the bases, and they will be done.

Very nice projects, Kurt. I would like to know a little more about the wine rack, too.

The wine rack started it’s life many years ago as a sprocket on a bulldozer. I cut two sections of the sprocket out and welded a small spacer between them to hold them in place and keep them upright. below is the picture of what is left of the sprocket. I have enough sprocket to make 3 more and one smaller one. Some from this one and another whole sprocket. With the bottles off, you can really see the wear on the sprocket.

The clock is a piece of W 10 x 15 I beam with brass bolts for the markings and a clock mechanism. All of it is lacquered and felt feet on the bottom.

Kind of a “Steam Punk” theme I was going for.

The silent auction is for the builders association so I was going for a construction related theme also.

I have some finished photo’s also

You sure nailed the construction theme, Kurt. Just beautiful work and a lot of imagination.

Thanks Peter, One of the longtime builders at the dinner ended up paying $170 for the rack and clock at he silent auction. I was surprised when he gave away the wine rack and just kept wine and clock. I guess it was really the clock he wanted. Made me feel good that someone would think so much of the clock, It was the afterthought to the package. I thought the wine rack was the attractive part.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Splitting and moving and the wife is stacking. I think it will be a routine of this for a while. Got a bit of clean up done in the work area too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I thought the wine rack was the attractive part.

So did I; I thought the wine rack was extremely nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

@boschmanbrian Thanks… I’ll update as I can. Might be jumping around to one of two smaller jobs between phases.
    The current plan for the decks is to frame them in after we’ve got the house dried in… Maybe while the subs are inside, or during the drywall phase.
    I haven’t spent any time looking at the plans yet, or found out what the interior finish schedule is.
    This is right next door to another custom we finished in August… I’ll try to put a thread together about that as well :

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

today was mostly punch list stuff. missing pieces of baseboard.. casing out the main entry door, deadbolts and knobs on the 3 entry doors, set master bathrooms vanity counter top. along with a big cleanup, the client is moving furniture into the house tommorrow

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Viewing 20 posts - 481 through 500 (of 1,006 total)
  • The topic ‘V-30 What did you do in the shop site today?’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.569 seconds