dcsimg

V-30 What did you do in the shop site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 1,006 total)
  • Author

Thank you Peter, it’s called pruche in French, I think it translates to hemlock,

That will give really good weather resistance. Hemlock is commonly found as sill logs in old log houses and barns. Many are still sound after 150 or 200 years.

Yes, I hear it’s a good stand up wood, something like cedar, it’s easy to work with while wet, but apparently it’s hard like mad when dried,
    Cracks and splitting when trying to drive screws into it or through it when dried, but wet it’s like butter.

We are going to just put an oil on it after we are done.

@GTokley
    , wow, that’s definitely nice to hear about how it holds up. Thanks

Was going to go work at the stables while my daughter was doing her lesson, but it rained us out, so we just loaded up the scraps into the trailer, brought them to the fire pile we had burning, then went to the le Cheval store to try and find another pair of riding boots for our daughter, (growing like a weed) lol
    They will have to order a size for her, then hit Costco, was mad today

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Here are the pictures of our last flip.
    Keep in mind that this house had been on fire .
    https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/35343130_zpid/41.010216,-81.467743,40.898333,-81.652279_rect/12_zm/1_fr/?

Attachments:
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/35343130_zpid/41.010216,-81.467743,40.898333,-81.652279_rect/12_zm/1_fr/?

That’s impressive work, Ron. I still have a hard time getting my head around regional differences in home prices.

How large of a crew do you work with to do a job like that?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

We have 4 guys. 1 of them is just a helper that is learning.
    I did a lot more on this job because we got rid of the guy that kept calling off work.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Great job! What a drastic change!

A Working Pro since 2004

Wow, just wow Ron, from the picture in the kitchen, to the ones in the listing, great job,
    I can’t believe that price, they must have picked it up for peanuts,

Beautiful work Ron, thanks for sharing.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

More pictures, my wife has a pile for me to do this year.

Looking really nice! I also love your shaker table. Can’t wait to see it all done with the top!

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

We get them at sheriffs sales. Most are repos or houses no one else will buy. Thanks for the compliments. My head is starting to swell a bit.
    I did all the trim, kitchen, floors, and doors, car siding on stairs, electrical, and framed the elevator.
    The house had been set up for handicap and had a elevator in the foyer and a stair lift. The lower deck used to be a very poorly built room under the top deck. The roof leaked and it was all rotten. Tore all that out and built the deck.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Now that my last order is done, I’m trying to get my new large set up. This morning I tried my live center on a 1” square by 18” piece of Birch and I could barely touch the tool to it without it stopping…what am I doing wrong?

Charlie

Instagram

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

My bent lamination and odd shaped glue up came together today with some hand cut joinery and they are starting to look like a guitar stand.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Attachments:
    MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Now that my last order is done, I’m trying to get my new large set up. This morning I tried my live center on a 1” square by 18” piece of Birch and I could barely touch the tool to it without it stopping…what am I doing wrong?

@cmeyer25
    I’ve had that happen before. Be sure that you’ve tightened the tailstock down tightly. Also, for the live center (the one that spins freely which goes into the tailstock), it looks like you’re using a conical center (like the silver one in the pics below). I’d highly recommend one more like the black one shown below. You get a lot more clamping force if there’s a pin in the center to help you line up the workpiece, but then also a circular plane that helps hold the piece. Also, on the headstock you actually want a dead center (without a bearing), since it’s job is to transition the power of the motor to the workpiece. It looks like you might have another live center (with a bearing) on there, which means the motor is only spinning the bearing in the center, not the wood. I almost always use a spur center (no bearing) in my headstock (see the two shown in the third pic). This grips the wood nicely.
    One last thing. All lathes are a little different, but in most lathes I’ve seen the motor (and headstock with spur center) are on the left, and the tailstock (with “live” bearing center) are on the right. From your picture it looks to be the reverse. You want the wood spinning towards you from the top, so that you see the wood rotating down. It could be that your lathe is reversed directionally, or maybe you just took the picture from the back.
    Sorry if any of this is overkill. I don’t mean to talk down to you, but I am not sure of your experience level with turning. Let us know if you do manage to get it going!

EDIT: Forgot the dang pics! Posted now.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

My bent lamination and odd shaped glue up came together today with some hand cut joinery and they are starting to look like a guitar stand.

Wow that really came out nice JDO.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That is coming together very nicely. Any thoughts yet on how the guitar will be mounted? Supported from below or hung?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I got the lower windows in , still waiting for the 2 upper windows . I also start framing all the walls .

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Started a new window replacement job today. 2nd window we did was too big, had to do a bunch of chisel work. Does Bosch make a wood chisel for the Bulldog rotary hammer? I’m sure not, but I was wishing for it today.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Doing repair work on this Church in Toronto. Here’s a middle picture after I rebuilt it a bit and prepped it and a after shot.

@utopia78 looking really nice. What product do you use for repairing concrete like that? I have a similar, but not quite as bad, issue with my foundation that I need to address. Thanks for posting!

Hi and sorry about the late reply. It was on my list to write back. The outside decorative coating is a Bowmix 43 Ultra Bond Parge Mortar. To build up any foundation areas I would use Sika 123 (my fav but expensive) 2 parts with milk bonding agent or Type M or S mortar. If you have any questions, take a few pics and I can lead you in a good direction. The slurry coat and making sure you have new concrete to adhere too will be some of my first tips as proper prep and steps is key to a long lasting repair.

Once again, sorry for being so tardy

A Working Pro since 2004

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Started a new window replacement job today. 2nd window we did was too big, had to do a bunch of chisel work. Does Bosch make a wood chisel for the Bulldog rotary hammer? I’m sure not, but I was wishing for it today.

That is really a nice looking house. Looks like it has a lot of land around it. Who measured the window?

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Thank you Peter, it’s called pruche in French, I think it translates to hemlock,

That will give really good weather resistance. Hemlock is commonly found as sill logs in old log houses and barns. Many are still sound after 150 or 200 years.

Yes, I hear it’s a good stand up wood, something like cedar, it’s easy to work with while wet, but apparently it’s hard like mad when dried,
    Cracks and splitting when trying to drive screws into it or through it when dried, but wet it’s like butter.

We are going to just put an oil on it after we are done.

@gtokley, wow, that’s definitely nice to hear about how it holds up. Thanks

Was going to go work at the stables while my daughter was doing her lesson, but it rained us out, so we just loaded up the scraps into the trailer, brought them to the fire pile we had burning, then went to the le Cheval store to try and find another pair of riding boots for our daughter, (growing like a weed) lol
    They will have to order a size for her, then hit Costco, was mad today

Yeah you described Hemlock about right. When I got my lumber for my shed it was still abit wet. As the boards dried it got pretty hard to drive the nails in with a hammer. If I tried to pull nail sometimes I pulled the head off the nail. It holds a nail real good. Hemlock gets shake in it. When the log gets sawed the growth rings separate.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

That is coming together very nicely. Any thoughts yet on how the guitar will be mounted? Supported from below or hung?

It will hang.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Had a tornado go through my town yesterday. Kinda crazy! Missed our shop by a few hundred yards. Tore up a bunch of properties. Went to a clients house and tarped his roof from all the missing shingles and installed a temp post on his front porch due to the wind blowing out one of his posts holding up his porch.

Then the rest of the day was spent installing some venting at another house.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 1,006 total)
  • The topic ‘V-30 What did you do in the shop site today?’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.441 seconds