dcsimg

V-30.0 Toolaholic Public Announcement Page

Viewing 20 posts - 761 through 780 (of 973 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

My order from PA came yesterday. I ordered a electric stapler, drill bits, wire strippers. I also got a box of assorted key ways and set screws.

Edit: I also got Bondi spreaders. I am try using them for spreading glue.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

This is different

New Harbor Freight ICON Ratchet is Covered in Gold

https://toolguyd.com/harbor-freight-icon-ratchet-gold-plated/

Wow , pretty cool looking , I’d definitely not be using that for any sort of work ,

Show off.

Gold is the most ductile and malleable of all metals.

I’m thinking less than a dollar worth of gold on that ratchet.

LoL 😂😆😂

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Wow , pretty cool looking , I’d definitely not be using that for any sort of work ,

Looks like Harbor Freight is getting into the “collector” tools. Snap-on MAC etc have had these kinds of tools for years.

I shop at HF as much or more than the next man, but as of late I think they’re getting to think they’re better than they really are, and losing focus on their target demographic.

I could understand the ICON line of tools, and it’s place in their lineup. But to think that they’re really a competitor of the tool trucks is pushing a bit.

Also their discontinuation of coupons, and pushing everyone to the Inside Track Club to get discounts makes little sense. If they sold major name brands, I can see it being worth buying a membership to get discounts, but since nearly everything they sell is a store brand or knock off, I just don’t see a reason to buy a membership to save on things I really shouldn’t be buying to begin with, as I just don’t have the space.

Overall, The past year or 2 of HF’s corporate direction have me believing they’ve started down a downward slope to their demise. Not because they’re trying to elevate their tool lineups, but because they’re losing track of who their core customers are. The DIY crowd; people putting together second, third, and more toolboxes to leave in the car/truck, camp, camper, ect.; and professionals who need an odd tool that they might use once a year, and hence can’t justify spending tool truck/name brand prices for.

The best path to improving their lineup would be to reincorporate name brand tools at some or even no discount. HF is a store focused on tools. I can only think of one place(not even sure if they’re still open) that’s a non-tool truck tool dealer. In the 90’s name brand tools were a HF staple. Why should a customer be paying near name brand prices for store brand tools, even if the quality is equal? Leave the design and engineering to the tool manufacturers, and focus on bringing the best tool at the best price to the average consumer.

I’ll admit I’m a bit salty about the discontinuation of most coupons and the gold ratchet. Reason being what I stated above. And I rarely was one to use a coupon at HF even when they were available. Just that I see the store trying to force the focus on a small band of people willing to pay more for a higher quality store brand tool, rather than on the bulk of their consumers.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

New goodies in the last couple days. Ordered online from Lowes, due to the free battery/charger with purchase of bare tool and the local store never seeming to have them in stock.

Recip saw seems to be a regular user. Unsure about the grinder, mainly because the guard mounting design. I prefer a simple friction fit, that I can tension just right so I can adjust eh guard by hand as needed, even with the grinder running. The Bosch has a cogged guard mounting, and needs a(almost got discarded with packaging) hex wrench to install and adjust. I’m also slightly concerned about the noise the grinder makes when I back drive the wheel, as it sounds like gears slipping. I opened the gearbox and nothing seems wrong, although I think the gearbox is a bit noisy(just a quick power on in the house without a wheel.)

I have had corded grinders that the gear backlash was bad enough that the gears slipped, correction was to shim the spindle gear to better mesh, although eventually that grinder died(4″ Craftsman I’d borrowed from my dad, replaced with a 4″ Makita I picked up used that he still uses.)

New goodies in the last couple days. Ordered online from Lowes, due to the free battery/charger with purchase of bare tool and the local store never seeming to have them in stock.

Recip saw seems to be a regular user. Unsure about the grinder, mainly because the guard mounting design. I prefer a simple friction fit, that I can tension just right so I can adjust eh guard by hand as needed, even with the grinder running. The Bosch has a cogged guard mounting, and needs a(not included) hex wrench to install and adjust. I’m also slightly concerned about the noise the grinder makes when I back drive the wheel, as it sounds like gears slipping. I opened the gearbox and nothing seems wrong, although I think the gearbox is a bit noisy(just a quick power on in the house without a wheel.)

I have had corded grinders that the gear backlash was bad enough that the gears slipped, correction was to shim the spindle gear to better mesh, although eventually that grinder died(4″ Craftsman I’d borrowed from my dad, replaced with a 4″ Makita I picked up used that he still uses.)

Yeah , that’s the first generation lithium recip saw , it’s good , but definitely not as updated as most ,
    As for the grinder , definitely makes more noise than my Bosch corded , but it actually has been pretty good for me , I really like the fact it’s cordless , I’ve used it for cutting anchor bolts 3/8 and 1/2 inch , and also cutting plenty of porcelain tile , it has been covered in dust , but I just blow it out and it’s good to go
    I know some people have complained about the runtime , I have had good experience with it , but I definitely haven’t been using it for heavy duty work
    I know what you mean about the guard , I don’t know why they changed it from the corded version

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Yeah , that’s the first generation lithium recip saw , it’s good , but definitely not as updated as most ,

I’m sure it’ll handle my needs just fine. My choices up until now were a corded Craftsman Industrial and a corded old Makita, both of which like to lose blades mid cut due to lots of wear on the (tool needed) blade holder.

I’m sure it’ll handle my needs just fine. My choices up until now were a corded Craftsman Industrial and a corded old Makita, both of which like to lose blades mid cut due to lots of wear on the (tool needed) blade holder.

Exactly , for most people it will be fine , the only thing I miss from my older Bosch nicad recipe saw is that adjustable shoe for the length , by being able to adjust it , I really could use more of the blade than usual

Two small things, I couldn’t find a simple compass or scribe in mt small town, I had to go to staples to buy one, and the tint ordered for my spalted wood epoxy coasters came in , I will wait for a warm day to do it so my shop if the correct curing temperature.

Will

Two small things, I couldn’t find a simple compass or scribe in mt small town, I had to go to staples to buy one, and the tint ordered for my spalted wood epoxy coasters came in , I will wait for a warm day to do it so my shop if the correct curing temperature.

Nice. I remember decades ago lol (showing my age ) when I was in school doing technical drawing /drafting , I bought a stadler complete drafting set , still have it and use it , great product

redwood
    Pro

For my birthday, my son’s got me a new toy (I hinted). It is a Arbortech Power Carving kit. I went berserk and got some additional attachments. It’s really cool what it can, according to the youtube videow.

I’ve fiddled around a bit, but I have lot’s of ideas, but maybe not the skill yet.

ABT1

ABT2

ABT3

ABT4

ABT

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Congrats Mark! Looks like you can make a big pile of sawdust really quick. It will be interesting to see your finished projects. Looking forward to seeing more.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Very interesting. You need more lumber to use this tool.

redwood
    Pro

Very interesting. You need more lumber to use this tool.

Yes, that can be a issue. All my CNC work uses 2x and 1x material. This tool doesn’t lend itself with that. I’m still having to wrap my head around how and when to dry the wood and the time it takes.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It is a Arbortech Power Carving kit.

Mark, that’s a nice tool with your talent you should be making some beautiful pieces soon. Enjoy.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I’m still having to wrap my head around how and when to dry the wood and the time it takes.

With a power carver you should be able to carve wood that is already dry. But carving wood that is green is much easier.

Have you checked out any info about GreenWood carving?

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

For my birthday, my son’s got me a new toy (I hinted). It is a Arbortech Power Carving kit. I went berserk and got some additional attachments. It’s really cool what it can, according to the youtube videow.

I’ve fiddled around a bit, but I have lot’s of ideas, but maybe not the skill yet.

ABT1

ABT2

ABT3

ABT4

ABT

Very nice Mark. That is a great birthday present. It does help to hint. I am sure it will be alot fun using this new carving tool.

Greg

ABT1

ABT2

ABT3

ABT4

ABT

Well happy birthday taurus lol mine was Last 23 of april , that’s a great gift ,
    I really like what you made , really nice Mark. 👍👌

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

For my birthday, my son’s got me a new toy (I hinted). It is a Arbortech Power Carving kit.

Happy birthday indeed. Let the chips fly!

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

ABT1

ABT2

ABT3

ABT4

ABT

That is pretty cool mark, amazing the things you can do with it. You seem to be staying busy in retirement. Enjoy your new set up.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

They’re finally here – Eagle Grip locking pliers, made in the USA!!

https://toolguyd.com/malco-eagle-grip-locking-pliers/

I have a bunch of them in my shop. Different shapes and brands.
    I made the mistake to look for a price and now I can’t stop the hiccups and stutterings.
    Definitely not for me those eagle thingies.

Viewing 20 posts - 761 through 780 (of 973 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 2.120 seconds