dcsimg

V-29.0 Toolaholic Public Announcement Page

Viewing 20 posts - 741 through 760 (of 799 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Is this site for real?

https://shelixheads.com/SHELIX_for_delta_13_inch_Planer_(22-580)

I’ve thought about getting a Byrd Shellix for my 13 inch Delta 22-580 many times over the years, but it was always gonna be in the $900 to $1200 range even when I first thought of it 15 years ago. Now this company in Canada that is an importer only wants $570 for it?

What’s the catch?

Anybody here deal with them?

Shelix is a reputable company. I was eyeing a cutter for my 13″ Dewalt planer but I considered it to expensive for that time. Now $535 CAD for the cutter seems reasonable.

I went and worked on this further and tried calling the company, but initially was only able to leave a voice mail to call me. The site is a Canadian one, but it looked weird to me. It is not owned by Byrd, but it says it ships from Byrd in Kentucky. Seemed even more odd.

But I then called Byrd in Kentucky and spoke to them there and they said that this company has been a distributor of theirs for around 10 years and that they don’t have any problems with them, nor do they hear of any people complaining about them either. In fact, they said they were one of their largest channels for selling their stuff from Byrd.

See, they are still shipping from Byrd Kentucky, but this guy handles all the brokerage and the taxes and shipping fees. My fee of $125 that was the only shipping option, covers all that, and Byrd says that they’ve never heard of anybody having to be charged more. This company is basically a middleman operation.

I further asked them at Byrd whether I should get additional cutter knives. I was told they come with five spare knives and that I likely will never need any more of them as a hobbiest. I also asked Byrd, (and the owner was right beside the lady I was speaking to to answer these questions) about planing Ipe and Teak. They were not familiar with Ipe, but said that while Teak is a nasty one for dulling cutting knives faster, it was fine for Teak. I just wanted to get an idea on this if ever I did want to do either of them. Byrd even said that if I sent them a piece of Ipe, they would test it for free and let me know, but that was the end of that conversation for the most part with Byrd directly.

While still pondering this, I then get a phone call from the Canadian distributor. He explained that they are basically two people that run the company here in Canada. Himself in SW Ontario, and the owner out in BC. They went thru the trouble of trying to list all the different models of tools that Bird makes Shellix cutters for on their website, which apparently is everything under the sun, but that Byrd doesn’t bother having them all on their own Byrd website, hence why I’ve never been able to find my Shellix for my 20 year old Delta planner whenever I did go looking periodically on the Byrd website over the years.

There’s somewhere on the Byrd website that says to just inquire if you don’t see your model there, but I probably never saw it mentioned nor would I have likely bothered to go thru the exercise thinking that with all the fee risks importing it into Canada, currency conversion, etc, it wouldn’t be worth the risk and could end up costing an arm and a leg once all the dust settles.

So after talking with Hans on the phone for a good hour about tools and renos and all sorts of things not Shellix related (I’m bad for that), I get off the phone and placed an order online. $570 for the Shellix for my 13 inch Delta lunchbox planner, $125 for the fees, and HST tax of around $90. Glad I called, cause I would have ordered extra knives that I likely will never need, or that I won’t need for a very long time.

Shellix-Byrd-Invoice

Glad I’m not in a hurry though. Hans said it’ll likely take 5-6 weeks to arrive at my door. That’s fine with me. I haven’t got anything planned for the planner anytime soon anyways.

Doobie

Sold to the man who likes gizmos like this.

https://jessem.ca/collections/table-saw-accessories/products/tool-setting-gauge

Also bought this Micro-Adjuster for the Jessem router table fence.

https://jessem.ca/collections/newest-products/products/new-micro-adjuster

Jessem-MicroAdjuster-for-Router-Table

I just love Jessem stuff. Was speaking to the gal there placing my order at leangth, and she’s been there a long time. We both agreed that the owner who designs all this stuff is on the better side of genius in our opinions. I started buying into their wares almost 20 years ago starting with my router table I just bought these two accesories for although the Tool Setting Gauge will have other places it can be used in the shop.

Hint of things to come ….something that will knock it out of the park for router table routers is coming out hopefully by sometime next year.

Bonus. Lady I was speaking to is tossing in a free Jessem Hat in my order. Says it’s a quality one. Knowing Jessem, I don’t doubt it.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

$570 for the Shellix for my 13 inch Delta lunchbox planner, $125 for the fees, and HST tax of around $90.

I think you ought to be happy with that. One nice upgrade and for the real deal too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

$125 for the fees

I find that fee bordering the exorbitant.
    They’re making money for sure out of those shipping charges.

Doobie

$125 for the fees

I find that fee bordering the exorbitant.

They’re making money for sure out of those shipping charges.

I’m gonna guess on past experiences that at a minimum $30 to 50 is the brokerage fee portion. Shipping is 25 to 40 and the rest of it is what they make doing the paperwork. I can live with that.

The price of the unit is almost a perfect conversion on todays exchange rate from its US price in Canadian dollars. Today we’re around 75.5 to the greenback. They’re likely getting some percentage from Byrd for these sales that go thru them. Otherwise, there’s no money to be made. I’m guessing at a minimum 15% to 20%. Could be as high as 30%. Doubt it would be higher.

I did ask Byrd when I spoke to them and asked if it would be cheaper to deal direct with them or the distributor and I got a very quickly chuckled reply of “Oh yea, defintely”, to deal with the distributor rather than with them direct.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Recommend a Battery-Powered Generator or Power Station?

https://toolguyd.com/recommend-a-battery-powered-generator-or-power-station/

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

It’s been a very busy week and somewhere along the way, maybe yesterday or so, I was talking to someone on the phone about an upcoming task, which right now I can’t remember what the heck it is, but I recall making a mental note that I’m gonna need some Snap Ring pliers to deal with per what buddy was saying I was talking to with which by some act of God at this stage in my life and all the tools I already own, I’ve never truly needed and always managed to work around needing a pair.

I know nothing about SR pliers. Are there different sizes, different types? What is a decent brand or a brand that is known for being better than most?

Are these in effect SR pliers I already own?

Recommend a Battery-Powered Generator or Power Station?

https://toolguyd.com/recommend-a-battery-powered-generator-or-power-station/

Yeah , that is definitely something I’m interested in , I really like the Ego , especially since I’m running the platform , it’s going to be interesting to see if other companies like green works and anyone else will come out with those ,
    That bosch is nice also , just to bad they don’t make one to use , especially now that they have those core battery packs.

Should be interesting to see what the technology comes up with

It’s been a very busy week and somewhere along the way, maybe yesterday or so, I was talking to someone on the phone about an upcoming task, which right now I can’t remember what the heck it is, but I recall making a mental note that I’m gonna need some Snap Ring pliers to deal with per what buddy was saying I was talking to with which by some act of God at this stage in my life and all the tools I already own, I’ve never truly needed and always managed to work around needing a pair.

I know nothing about SR pliers. Are there different sizes, different types? What is a decent brand or a brand that is known for being better than most?

It’s hard to see the tips , but I say they look like MasterCraft pliers , if they are , I think they are just longnose pliers ,
    Do they have any sort of grip on the pliers tips , usually snap ring pliers look different than that , and basically are just rounds at the tips , that can actually hold onto the round holes for the rings , that’s the style we use in the shop ,

Doobie

It’s hard to see the tips , but I say they look like MasterCraft pliers , if they are , I think they are just longnose pliers ,

Do they have any sort of grip on the pliers tips , usually snap ring pliers look different than that , and basically are just rounds at the tips , that can actually hold onto the round holes for the rings , that’s the style we use in the shop ,

They’re Vanadium. Some brand In an 8 or so pieces multi-type kit of pliers I bought at Costco 25 years ago. They’ve all served me quite well and have ribs, but no rings at the ends. The hand grips are obviously very durable as none have frayed/worn away and I’ve used them a ton over the years.

What is Vanadium anyways? Obviously a type of metal or alloy, but what quality level is it?

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

There different types of snap ring pliers. They usually have smaller tips. I had a set of smaller SN Pliers I bought a Napa years ago that had removable tips. I am not sure what happen too them. I didn’t really like them.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

There different types of snap ring pliers. They usually have smaller tips. I had a set of smaller SN Pliers I bought a Napa years ago that had removable tips. I am not sure what happen too them. I didn’t really like them.

I found some like those with interchangeable tips, but they looked kinda crappy.

I typically find that tools like that try to do more than one thing, don’t do anything very good or efficiently at all.

I found some like those with interchangeable tips, but they looked kinda crappy.

I typically find that tools like that try to do more than one thing, don’t do anything very good or efficiently at all.

Yeah , I bought a pair like that also , they definitely have flex more than the single size model does.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

GTokley wrote:
    Doobie wrote:

The ones I had were crappy! I think I lost some of the tips.

True!

Greg

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

they looked kinda crappy.

I can confirm that they are crappy. Not for industrial use.
    You might get along with them. Domestic use, for $15, it’s ok.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Zipbolt Countertop Connectors are Fantastic!

https://toolguyd.com/zipbolt-countertop-connectors-review/

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yeah a lot better than the hardware that usually comes with countertops that have been mitered 45 degree and need to be bolted together , I’d definitely like to give those a try next time I have to install arborite countertops

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Yeah a lot better than the hardware that usually comes with countertops that have been mitered 45 degree and need to be bolted together , I’d definitely like to give those a try next time I have to install arborite countertops

Plenty of them at Richelieu.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

So after talking with Hans on the phone for a good hour about tools and renos and all sorts of things not Shellix related (I’m bad for that), I get off the phone and placed an order online. $570 for the Shellix for my 13 inch Delta lunchbox planner, $125 for the fees, and HST tax of around $90. Glad I called, cause I would have ordered extra knives that I likely will never need, or that I won’t need for a very long time.

I just price a Shellix cutter for 15″ Delta 380 planer. It is am little more then I want to spend at $1000.00. I am sure it would be a great upgrade. Just a upgrade I will pass on for now.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Is this site for real?

https://shelixheads.com/SHELIX_for_delta_13_inch_Planer_(22-580)

I’ve thought about getting a Byrd Shellix for my 13 inch Delta 22-580 many times over the years, but it was always gonna be in the $900 to $1200 range even when I first thought of it 15 years ago. Now this company in Canada that is an importer only wants $570 for it?

What’s the catch?

Anybody here deal with them?

Shelix is a reputable company. I was eyeing a cutter for my 13″ Dewalt planer but I considered it to expensive for that time. Now $535 CAD for the cutter seems reasonable.

I went and worked on this further and tried calling the company, but initially was only able to leave a voice mail to call me. The site is a Canadian one, but it looked weird to me. It is not owned by Byrd, but it says it ships from Byrd in Kentucky. Seemed even more odd.

But I then called Byrd in Kentucky and spoke to them there and they said that this company has been a distributor of theirs for around 10 years and that they don’t have any problems with them, nor do they hear of any people complaining about them either. In fact, they said they were one of their largest channels for selling their stuff from Byrd.

See, they are still shipping from Byrd Kentucky, but this guy handles all the brokerage and the taxes and shipping fees. My fee of $125 that was the only shipping option, covers all that, and Byrd says that they’ve never heard of anybody having to be charged more. This company is basically a middleman operation.

I further asked them at Byrd whether I should get additional cutter knives. I was told they come with five spare knives and that I likely will never need any more of them as a hobbiest. I also asked Byrd, (and the owner was right beside the lady I was speaking to to answer these questions) about planing Ipe and Teak. They were not familiar with Ipe, but said that while Teak is a nasty one for dulling cutting knives faster, it was fine for Teak. I just wanted to get an idea on this if ever I did want to do either of them. Byrd even said that if I sent them a piece of Ipe, they would test it for free and let me know, but that was the end of that conversation for the most part with Byrd directly.

While still pondering this, I then get a phone call from the Canadian distributor. He explained that they are basically two people that run the company here in Canada. Himself in SW Ontario, and the owner out in BC. They went thru the trouble of trying to list all the different models of tools that Bird makes Shellix cutters for on their website, which apparently is everything under the sun, but that Byrd doesn’t bother having them all on their own Byrd website, hence why I’ve never been able to find my Shellix for my 20 year old Delta planner whenever I did go looking periodically on the Byrd website over the years.

There’s somewhere on the Byrd website that says to just inquire if you don’t see your model there, but I probably never saw it mentioned nor would I have likely bothered to go thru the exercise thinking that with all the fee risks importing it into Canada, currency conversion, etc, it wouldn’t be worth the risk and could end up costing an arm and a leg once all the dust settles.

Shellix-Byrd-Invoice

Glad I’m not in a hurry though. Hans said it’ll likely take 5-6 weeks to arrive at my door. That’s fine with me. I haven’t got anything planned for the planner anytime soon anyways.

Congrats Kevin! I have heard good things about them. Each insert has cutting edge. You should be good for along time.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 741 through 760 (of 799 total)
  • The topic ‘V-29.0 Toolaholic Public Announcement Page’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.841 seconds