dcsimg

V-28.0 Toolaholic Public Announcement Page

This topic contains 639 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 6 hours, 18 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 640 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I got this little tool from a customer.
    I have no idea what is it but it said Starrett and I had to have it in my collection.
    What do you think guys? Turn the rod either way and the inner dial where it says Starrett and patent is rotating.

I am glad you posted this. I have the same tool sitting on shelf in my workshop. It came in box stuff I bought at auction sale several years ago. I had no idea what it was.

I got this little tool from a customer.
    I have no idea what is it but it said Starrett and I had to have it in my collection.
    What do you think guys? Turn the rod either way and the inner dial where it says Starrett and patent is rotating.

That’s a tachometer, and I know you’ll be playing with it ! It’s missing the rubber end. Don’t know if a replacement is available but you may be able to fab one.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe title=”Using a Machinist Speed Indicator (Tachometer)” width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/4RLnwgp6YcM?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Thanks for posting the video.
    The one I have does have the rubber tip on it.

I found a copy of the manual for the Starrett Rpm Indicator today. That it would be nice to have.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

New Dewalt TStak Rolling Cooler

https://toolguyd.com/dewalt-tstak-rolling-cooler/

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

New chain for the chain saw today. The old one hasn’t been itself since finding those big nails in the slabs for the work bench.

Congrats Jim what size do you have , I imagine different prices for different lengths , I wonder if they are different in price from cordless to gas chainsaws
    Or regardless if it’s gas or electric/or cordless , say 16 or what ever same price ?

Not much of a tool, but the slow boat from China delivered my new adhesive metric scale for my new miter station, this one had both left and right reading sections and was the right price even if it was slow.

Will

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

New Dewalt TStak Rolling Cooler

https://toolguyd.com/dewalt-tstak-rolling-cooler/

Interesting. I wish they would make all TSTAK boxes available in the red/black Craftsman version. Still don’t have the deep drawer box in red/black unless I want to go with a McDonald’s theme. I think I am moving to a higher and higher % drawer system so the TSTAK/VERSASTACK ball bearing drawer glides is what works for me.

It’s neat having a cool father in law. He dropped off a few things today. A Made in England Record 0110 block plane, a torque wrench, a ratchet and a rivet gun.

Attachments:

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

It’s neat having a cool father in law. He dropped off a few things today. A Made in England Record 0110 block plane, a torque wrench, a ratchet and a rivet gun.

Lucky bugger. My FIL was senile by the time I knew him. Think I had that same riveter many years ago but it pooched on me years ago. Just kept getting jammed. Hope you have better luck with it than I did Jim. I never needed to rivet things often either.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Kicking the Tires on the New Harbor Freight Icon Tool Cabinet

https://toolguyd.com/kicking-the-tires-on-the-new-harbor-freight-icon-tool-cabinet/

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Nice Jim , I haven’t seen one of those torque wrenches since my years working apprenticeship in the garage.
    Nice little haul , I’m sure you will put that block plane to good use.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

New chain for the chain saw today. The old one hasn’t been itself since finding those big nails in the slabs for the work bench.

Congrats Jim what size do you have , I imagine different prices for different lengths , I wonder if they are different in price from cordless to gas chainsaws
    Or regardless if it’s gas or electric/or cordless , say 16 or what ever same price ?

I can not find chains that say they are for my 14″ Makita cordless chainsaw at the local Fleet Farm store but they have a chain that indicates it is for a different 14″ Makita chainsaw. I tried that one and it works just fine. I don’t really know if they have a different chain for the cordless vs corded versions but from what I have experienced the gas saw chain works on the cordless so that basically makes them the same price in my opinion. I have not had any experience with the Dewalt or Milwaukee saws and how they price their chains however.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I can not find chains that say they are for my 14″ Makita cordless chainsaw at the local Fleet Farm store but they have a chain that indicates it is for a different 14″ Makita chainsaw. I tried that one and it works just fine. I don’t really know if they have a different chain for the cordless vs corded versions but from what I have experienced the gas saw chain works on the cordless so that basically makes them the same price in my opinion. I have not had any experience with the Dewalt or Milwaukee saws and how they price their chains however.

Interesting , I don’t own a chainsaw , but is there a difference between cordless and gas in the speed of the chain ,

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have went into my local farm supply that sells Sthil chainsaws before and got a chain for my Husqvarna chainsaw. They would make it up chain right on the spot. They just needed the length bar and model of chainsaw

Interesting , I don’t own a chainsaw , but is there a difference between cordless and gas in the speed of the chain ,

That is good question. I would say no. But once a cordless saw battery starts loosing charge then yes.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Wow. A whole bunch of comments so I’ll try to answer without quoting everything and making this a long post.

I have a Husqvarna 450e that takes a narrow kerf chain and has a 50cc engine and an 18″ bar.
    I don’t know about electric chainsaws, but I believe they have a slower speed.
    To get a chain you need 4 pieces of information:
    Bar length (mine is 18″)
    Drive link number (mine has 72)
    Pitch (size of chain) (mine is .325)
    Gauge (the thickness of the part of the chain that rides in the goove in the bar) (mine is .050)
    One more spec is the sharpening file diameter (mine is 3/16″)
    MOST chainsaws will have the Link #, Pitch, and Gauge marked right on the bar.
    If those aren’t there, and you know the make and model of your saw, you can look it up at the manufacturer or at the Oregon website ( https://www.oregonproducts.com/ ). Oregon makes replacement chains and bars for chainsaws, plus a whole bunch of other stuff. Good products. The chain I got was a Husqvarna brand. It was about $35 with the tax. Mine is a little more expensive due to it being a thinner kerf, but not by much. Economy of scale make more common chains a bit cheaper just because they produce so many more of them.

As for the cool new tools from my father in law. I have a rivet gun and several ratchets and 3 block planes. I think my son will get some of this haul. The torque wrench I will keep. I will likely bring it in to get calibrated though.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Wow that’s a lot of information Jim , thanks for your time

I forgot to post this kit I bought , I bought a pica pencil a week and a half ago , and have been liking it so far , especially when pre fitting electronic equipment or load units that have not been pre fit.
    Especially that black marker is great.

Doobie

Kurt, I know it’s a bit of a PITA, but still, you can maybe save yourself some time and just call a Makita service center and ask.

I find my Makita service center near me that does repairs and is their Canada headquarters also is top notch when it comes to advising on these kinds of things that would take me sometimes forever otherwise or tried and fail methods on my own.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Kurt, I know it’s a bit of a PITA, but still, you can maybe save yourself some time and just call a Makita service center and ask.

I find my Makita service center near me that does repairs and is their Canada headquarters also is top notch when it comes to advising on these kinds of things that would take me sometimes forever otherwise or tried and fail methods on my own.

I could probably order them online, but the ones I have been buying work well and I can have them in a few minutes if I need one. I do find it is convenient to have the Fleet Farm store nearby. It is basically target for men but bigger. They have food, clothes, housewares, toys, a huge sporting goods area, automotive, hardware, tools and anything for yard and farm needs you would want.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have been loving the Makita 18voltXs2 track saw I got not long ago. Cutting down some Shoji doors here with dust extraction.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I have been loving the Makita 18voltXs2 track saw I got not long ago. Cutting down some Shoji doors here with dust extraction.

Wow that’s a beautiful pocket door , that wood is beautiful , that looks like it was a great deal for the saw , what is the length of the tracks that came with it ,

OH yeah almost forgot I received my personal oxygen sensor , talk about waiting till the last minute 7 days left 🤔, and They said they take health and safety serious

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I need some new Torx bits and I mostly use the longer versions.

Saw this on Amazon, Bosch torx bits.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-ITDETV2503-Impact-Tough-Double-Ended/dp/B06XYQ2YG1/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3PTZRT4UL8VHH&keywords=bosch+torx+bit&qid=1569513553&sprefix=bosch+torx+%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-9

Bosch ITDETV2503 3 Pc. Impact Tough 2.5 In. Torx Double-Ended Bit Set

One bit is T15-T20, one T25 on both ends, then a T25-T30

Would the bit end fit fine into an impact? Since it’s impact ready it has to right?

Anyone used those?

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Are those glass panes in the middle? Do they mostly use glass panes or as I have seen in movies rice paper where the ninjas can poke a hole through to spy?

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 640 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.653 seconds