dcsimg

V-26 What did you do in the shop site today

Viewing 20 posts - 541 through 560 (of 1,009 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Well I never made to the shop today. As this was March Break I took a few days to be with girls. Been pretty busy doing fun stuff since Wednesday. We spend day in Toronto and went to Rogers Center for Disney show. Had lots of fun and not use all the walking.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Glued up 5 cutting board style pieces for a project. Most happy though that I finally put the Danish oil on a table I had built. Now off to the finisher for a good lacquer finish.

Attachments:
    Doobie

Glued up 5 cutting board style pieces for a project. Most happy though that I finally put the Danish oil on a table I had built. Now off to the finisher for a good lacquer finish.

Nice table Lon! 👌

@cmeyer25 it looks nice. It probably will hold up better than before I’m sure. Nice work.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

great looking table Lon – I do like the contrast of it.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

PI_Woodworker wrote:

Thanks! I do like mixing woods. The table lid is going to be hinged at the rear (piano hinge) so it will be like a school desk.

It probably will hold up better than before I’m sure

I don’t follow, it is a brand new piece.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Thanks @boschmanbrian, that’s the hope. At the very least it isn’t sticking out anymore so there’s no flex to contribute to weakening the overal structure.

Charlie

Instagram

I was chopping out a mortise in a block of Birch to make a wooden mallet, and the razor sharp chisel slipped. Sliced my finger.

Nothing too bad, fortunately but it bled enough that I needed to wrap the bandage in duct tape since it was too slick for a bandaid

A very minor reminder of how easy it is to make a bad mistake. My finger was placed in the line of fire, and the wood gave too easily – slid right through to the finger

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MontralMedic I see you are using the preferred shop style bandage. I figured with a name like MontrealMedic we’d see some high speed bandage and the latest in blood clotting materials. I guess out in the shop everyone reaches for a bit of a paper towel and some tape, I prefer masking tape myself.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Nice looking table Lon. I like the contrasting woods.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

MontralMedic I see you are using the preferred shop style bandage. I figured with a name like MontrealMedic we’d see some high speed bandage and the latest in blood clotting materials. I guess out in the shop everyone reaches for a bit of a paper towel and some tape, I prefer masking tape myself.

Even on the ambulance, a bit of duct tape helps when a shallow cut is bleeding freely – not a bad enough cut to break out the special stuff, but too slick from the blood for a bandaid to stick

Although, there was a bandage under there, not a paper towel – the idea is the same.

Swapped it out for a regular bandaid this morning

Was just a love bite from my chisel

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Even on the ambulance, a bit of duct tape helps when a shallow cut is bleeding freely – not a bad enough cut to break out the special stuff, but too slick from the blood for a bandaid to stick

Although, there was a bandage under there, not a paper towel – the idea is the same.

I’m glad it wasn’t worse, it would’ve been a pita if it put you out if it was more serious. I guess i’ll have to mail you some kevlar gloves

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I’m glad it wasn’t worse, it would’ve been a pita if it put you out if it was more serious. I guess i’ll have to mail you some kevlar gloves

I did that also a while back. Just sharpened the chisel and nipped about a 1/4 inch off the tip pf my thumb. It actually grew back and can’t tell it was gone. Hope your finger stops throbbing soon!

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I was chopping out a mortise in a block of Birch to make a wooden mallet, and the razor sharp chisel slipped. Sliced my finger.

Nothing too bad, fortunately but it bled enough that I needed to wrap the bandage in duct tape since it was too slick for a bandaid

A very minor reminder of how easy it is to make a bad mistake. My finger was placed in the line of fire, and the wood gave too easily – slid right through to the finger

I have “autographed” a few pieces the same way. Once I didn’t even know about it until I saw the blood on the piece. When you can cut yourself and not even feel it is when you know your chisels are really sharp. I wouldn’t recommend that method as a test though.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

PI_Woodworker wrote:

Thanks! I do like mixing woods. The table lid is going to be hinged at the rear (piano hinge) so it will be like a school desk.

It probably will hold up better than before I’m sure

I don’t follow, it is a brand new piece.

? Some sort of mix up, I was referring to @cmeyer25 work he did fixing the counter top.

But that being said, your table came out beautiful,

Glad it wasn’t worse. Those slices happen so fast. Then you think how the heck could I have done that to myself? The Band-Aid supply needs replenishment in my shop.

I keep some in my kitchen already. This was careless technique on my part, but maybe I could get a nicer pair for kitchen use and retire the Stained White Forsner gloves to shop use…. mistakes happen – no reason not to try to be safer

I have “autographed” a few pieces the same way. Once I didn’t even know about it until I saw the blood on the piece. When you can cut yourself and not even feel it is when you know your chisels are really sharp. I wouldn’t recommend that method as a test though.

I think I was maybe a dozen small cuts in after sharpening to 13,000 and honing. It was as sharp as it could have been, pretty much. Very clean shallow cut – lots of blood, very very little pain

Glad it wasn’t worse. Those slices happen so fast. Then you think how the heck could I have done that to myself? The Band-Aid supply needs replenishment in my shop.

I was lucky – I had to replenish my shop first aid kit, and had set my old travel paramedic bag nearby to do it (it has most of my inventory) So I had everything close by, and very accessible – I strongly recommend a bag like that

Attachments:
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

For me, I start to second guess myself a bit with a tool that tastes blood…its ridiculious, I know, but I always remember cutting myself with it and probably spend too much mental energy thinking about it in the future. I’ve been known to throw out/give away tools that taste blood in favor of a new model.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

For me, I start to second guess myself a bit with a tool that tastes blood…its ridiculious, I know, but I always remember cutting myself with it and probably spend too much mental energy thinking about it in the future. I’ve been known to throw out/give away tools that taste blood in favor of a new model.

I understand that. Ive been hand shy a couple of times, especially with certain power tools

I keep some in my kitchen already. This was careless technique on my part, but maybe I could get a nicer pair for kitchen use and retire the Stained White Forsner gloves to shop use…. mistakes happen – no reason not to try to be safer

I think I was maybe a dozen small cuts in after sharpening to 13,000 and honing. It was as sharp as it could have been, pretty much. Very clean shallow cut – lots of blood, very very little pain

I was lucky – I had to replenish my shop first aid kit, and had set my old travel paramedic bag nearby to do it (it has most of my inventory) So I had everything close by, and very accessible – I strongly recommend a bag like that

Attachments:

Hmm… my posts are vanishing. Hope you guys aren’t seeing dozens of the same post

And sorry for splitting it up – seems to be the only way it let the post pass

Viewing 20 posts - 541 through 560 (of 1,009 total)
  • The topic ‘V-26 What did you do in the shop site today’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.728 seconds