dcsimg

V-24 What did you do in the shop site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 950 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Never thought of letting it rest after milling. I have five boards glued up and they will sit for some time before I get around to the rest of them.

@smallerstick
    Should I rip the rest, mill and let sit for a bit? Or glue then let sit for a bit?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Never thought of letting it rest after milling.

I have not heard of that either,, I knew about getting your meat rest but now your wood too?? I do know it likes to move.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Took a day to do absolutely nothing and play around on the

This past week was the first week in a month I haven’t worked 50+ hours. Also got an unexpected $0.80 raise and change in job title(from recycling plant laborer to recycling plant operator.) No change in actual job although another guy and myself are both supposed to get trained on the skid-steer.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Never thought of letting it rest after milling. I have five boards glued up and they will sit for some time before I get around to the rest of them.
    @smallerstick.
    Should I rip the rest, mill and let sit for a bit? Or glue then let sit for a bit?

yah depending on how it is cut, one side may be exposed to more moisture or have more moisture loss which will cause your wood to warp and distort, it happens quite often. Nothing you can do to prevent it.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Started the top to my workbench, got about 40% of it done. That maple once cut down to size really wants to take its own shape. Lots of messing with the jointer then through the thickness planer. On a couple of them the NO.5 came out. The will be the last bench I build, that’s because it’s going to kill me.

nice project you have going on there in your backyard. looking forward for the final product.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

Finished cutting and fastening the ceiling joists late yesterday after spending most of the day doing a late pool closing. I still need to do colar ties, but that should be pretty quick and I’ll leave for a rain day. Today, it’s outdoor soffit and roof trim work likely.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@smallerstick.

Conventional wisdom says to rip and rough mill, then rest before final milling and glue up.

I had some assembly difficulties because I waited too long from final milling to assembly in the legs for my bench.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@smallerstick.

Conventional wisdom says to rip and rough mill, then rest before final milling and glue up.

I had some assembly difficulties because I waited too long from final milling to assembly in the legs for my bench.

I didn’t have the time to wait, some pieces i managed to rest it before glue up, some pieces i just milled and straight up glued it asap.

I spent the day running around buffalo hitting various shops but two of them stood out. I had never been in a rockler before and I am impressed with the various tools they have there. I also hit harbor freight, love that place just like a princess auto.

Doobie

@smallerstick.

Why wait to assemble? Never heard of deliberately doing that. It’s not a steak. That’s only asking for trouble. As long as the moisture content doesn’t read bad, just assemble. Even waiting overnite can be a problem I have found on some occasions.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Mounted my 1619 router to the Freud table today. Not much clearance in the cutout!

Played around with the plunge spring defeat feature a bit. It really is going to be simple to set depth and do the fine adjust once it’s mounted on the cabinet.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Attachments:
    staker
    Pro

I start another floor job and took out the carpet

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@smallerstick.

Why wait to assemble? Never heard of deliberately doing that. It’s not a steak. That’s only asking for trouble. As long as the moisture content doesn’t read bad, just assemble. Even waiting overnite can be a problem I have found on some occasions.

Got the rest of the top milled today and glued, tomorrow I will glue the two top pieces together. Then I need to see if I can borrow a 6″ jointer/planer for the legs. The wood I have is just a bit too wide for my 4″ jointer/planer. That or borrow @r-ice‘s No.7 Plane and see if I can mill one side of the boards by hand.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Mounted my 1619 router to the Freud table today. Not much clearance in the cutout!

Looks to me like it came out very nice. Nice work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

redwood
    Pro

I finished one sign today and designed and cut another, The unfinished one is for a local restaurant and we need to discuss how we are going to finish it.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I finished one sign today and designed and cut another, The unfinished one is for a local restaurant and we need to discuss how we are going to finish it.

Great stuff! You are going to have to raise your prices.

@smallerstick.

Got the rest of the top milled today and glued, tomorrow I will glue the two top pieces together. Then I need to see if I can borrow a 6″ jointer/planer for the legs. The wood I have is just a bit too wide for my 4″ jointer/planer. That or borrow @r-ice‘s No.7 Plane and see if I can mill one side of the boards by hand.

That will be a workout by hand. You won’t need the heat on. Got me itching to do some planing just hearing about it.

Played around with the plunge spring defeat feature a bit. It really is going to be simple to set depth and do the fine adjust once it’s mounted on the cabinet.

Fits quite nicely. Is that going to be it’s permanent home?

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

I spent an innordinate amount of time trying to clean a Festool tracksaw blade today, in the meantime I did a bunch of prep for tomorrow – provided it’s not raining – to use my shop based MFT on site via reattaching the legs and also assembled other tools needed for soffit work and got my cordless Bosch grinder I bought recently on clearance for the first time in an awkward situation where it will be much nicer to use than my corded one. Just abusy day getting organized for the next job.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I work in progress from Sunday. A few more courses to go to make sure it’s 3 feet above any roof and add a cap. Should only be a few more hours next weekend.

A Working Pro since 2004

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I work in progress from Sunday. A few more courses to go to make sure it’s 3 feet above any roof and add a cap. Should only be a few more hours next weekend.

wow sweet, that is some fast progress lol. did you make a video on the progress of how its done?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

work in progress from Sunday

Chris nice job. Looks like it will be done very soon. How long have you been working on this?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Thanks for the comments

wow sweet, that is some fast progress lol. did you make a video on the progress of how its done?

No video unfortunately. Maybe I can grab some this weekend.

work in progress from Sunday

Chris nice job. Looks like it will be done very soon. How long have you been working on this?

That was pretty much 10-4 on Sunday.

A Working Pro since 2004

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 950 total)
  • The topic ‘V-24 What did you do in the shop site today?’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.801 seconds