dcsimg

V-24.0 Toolaholic Public Announcement Page

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 1,009 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

When I used my circle cutter last i noticed the shaft was bent, it was one I inherited from my father in-law so I am not certain if he abused it or it was me(if it was me if must have been soft ). Either way I ordered a new one online and it arrived the other day but I unpacked and took a picture of it just now.

The local hardware store has had these forever, I always look at them, but have never bought one – it seems like such a smart idea, and the adjustability seems like it would save a lot of money over hole saws…but do they cut very well? And is there a pretty limited depth it can cut through? What do you use it to cut, primarily? I would think it would work really great for sheet rock, but how about plywood or dimensional lumber?

Sorry for the million questions – congrats on the new tool

Never used one either, but this is what I would expect. Saves having multiple sized other single width style hole drilling alternatives, but at the expense of cut quality and time to make a cut. The longevity of how sharp it stays and the unit itself being bent in use due to the stress and heat build up are other factors making this type of cutter of limited usefulness or durability.

Frankly, I’m not sure I’d even want one around just to be able to drill a hole in a size I don’t already have another cutter for. Kinda makes me think of how a wobble style dado cutter is comparable to stacked dado cutters.

That’s about the reason I never end up getting one…it just seems a little gimmicky, likely to break, and wouldn’t cut deep enough for most things I need to cut a hole in anyway. But if I’m wrong, I’d sure like to know!

Maybe if it had two cutters that would balance out the force on the guide bit they would not bend. If you think about it that is a lot of force that is always pulling in the same direction on the bit.

I used one like that to cut a 6 1/2″ hole in 1/2″ baltic birch ply last week. It takes a real slow feed rate in the drill press and a soft touch. I have not used it a lot and it got hot real fast. It took periodic cooling to keep from burning it up. It is something i only use when i need an oddball size hole. I was making a template for the router to use with a guide bushing to cut in a round cover plate into a gym floor.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

New from Skilsaw….

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/dIL7_mmqz_U?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”autoplay; encrypted-media” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

That’s a badass saw…I tried it out at WOC this year. It’s awesome

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Picked up a some saw blades and a new tape. Lowes has the DeWalt blades on sale.

Those Diablo circular saw blades are the only ones I ever buy. The Dewalt combo packs are nice too.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Worx has come out with a $120 track saw. It may not be as nice as some of the others but if you need a track saw and do not have a lot of money….

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Worx has come out with a $120 track saw. It may not be as nice as some of the others but if you need a track saw and do not have a lot of money….

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/NJL6gBlXxFo?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”autoplay; encrypted-media” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Very nice for the DIY market.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/NJL6gBlXxFo?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allow=”autoplay; encrypted-media” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Very nice for the DIY market.

Pretty neat little feature,

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Picked up a some saw blades and a new tape. Lowes has the DeWalt blades on sale.

Those Diablo circular saw blades are the only ones I ever buy. The Dewalt combo packs are nice too.

I do like the Diablo blades. The DeWalt’s were cheap is the only reason I got them. There are much better choices out there.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Well I feel like today is my lucky day. I have been looking for a Draw Knife for some time now. After posting on Facebook that I was looking for Draw Knife. My uncle sent message letting me know he had one I could have. I went and picked it up this morning. My uncle cleaned it as was abit rusty for being his basement for 25 years. This Draw Knife was my Great Uncle’s. My uncle also offered me a big wooden tool box that was my great uncles. He had this when use to run a sawmill. I have go back with my truck to get the tool box.

The draw knife needs a little work. There is some cracks in the handles.

How cool is that. Something that you can treasure and pass down to your kids and keep it in the family.

Yes it is pretty cool for sure. I will treasure them for sure. I ended getting the tool box. It had a few tools in it. Two tools that I got were ones I was looking for. They were a draw knife and spoke shave. My uncle told me he has had them for 25 years in his basement. He they hadn’t used much since 1959 when our uncle sold the sawmill.

jackpot wtg Greg you must be living right looking for something and then a family member gives it to you plus some bonus stuff to cool

Yeah I feel like I have won the jackpot. I am glad my luck has kinda turned around. The bonus will come in handy also.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

When I used my circle cutter last i noticed the shaft was bent, it was one I inherited from my father in-law so I am not certain if he abused it or it was me(if it was me if must have been soft ). Either way I ordered a new one online and it arrived the other day but I unpacked and took a picture of it just now.

The local hardware store has had these forever, I always look at them, but have never bought one – it seems like such a smart idea, and the adjustability seems like it would save a lot of money over hole saws…but do they cut very well? And is there a pretty limited depth it can cut through? What do you use it to cut, primarily? I would think it would work really great for sheet rock, but how about plywood or dimensional lumber?

Never used one either, but this is what I would expect. Saves having multiple sized other single width style hole drilling alternatives, but at the expense of cut quality and time to make a cut. The longevity of how sharp it stays and the unit itself being bent in use due to the stress and heat build up are other factors making this type of cutter of limited usefulness or durability.

Frankly, I’m not sure I’d even want one around just to be able to drill a hole in a size I don’t already have another cutter for. Kinda makes me think of how a wobble style dado cutter is comparable to stacked dado cutters.

That’s about the reason I never end up getting one…it just seems a little gimmicky, likely to break, and wouldn’t cut deep enough for most things I need to cut a hole in anyway. But if I’m wrong, I’d sure like to know!

Maybe if it had two cutters that would balance out the force on the guide bit they would not bend. If you think about it that is a lot of force that is always pulling in the same direction on the bit.

I used one like that to cut a 6 1/2″ hole in 1/2″ baltic birch ply last week. It takes a real slow feed rate in the drill press and a soft touch. I have not used it a lot and it got hot real fast. It took periodic cooling to keep from burning it up. It is something i only use when i need an oddball size hole. I was making a template for the router to use with a guide bushing to cut in a round cover plate into a gym floor.

That’s maybe the only reason I’d get one. Still, I think I would just go out and buy the hole saw size I needed instead.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

About to have a couple days of twisting steel wires on a project.
    Picked this up in preparation

j

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I got these Bessey parallel clamp extenders today! I tried my hand at making a few a while back. They were just okay and didn’t do much to keep the two clamps aligned with one another, so I picked these up.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Attachments:
    Clev08
    Pro

I got these Bessey parallel clamp extenders today! I tried my hand at making a few a while back. They were just okay and didn’t do much to keep the two clamps aligned with one another, so I picked these up.

Congrats, those look like they will be really handy, and it sure beats buying more, longer clamps.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Congrats, those look like they will be really handy, and it sure beats buying more, longer clamps.

Exactly why I decided to go this route as opposed to buying the 90″ ish inch clamps…and then having to find a place to store them.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

Exactly why I decided to go this route as opposed to buying the 90″ ish inch clamps…and then having to find a place to store them.

That’s what I did too. While they can take a while to set up versus individually longer parralel clamps, they saved me a good chunk of change and the storage issue for longer individual clamps. I have 6 five foot clamps along with a whack load of four footers and 8 of those extenders. Never had a situation yet I couldn’t clamp some longish stretches. Congratz Jon! 👍
    It’s not often I need them, but they are great when needed.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice pair of Channellock pliers. Enjoy.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Finally another package I ordered of Ebay came yesterday. I thought I would give these carving tools a try.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Never seen those kind before. Why does it have the 90 degree angle on one end?

Clev08
    Pro

Never seen those kind before. Why does it have the 90 degree angle on one end?

I believe that is for better leverage while pulling the wire tight, and then twisting the wire to secure whatever it is you are holding with the wire. Think a chain link fence to a post, you don’t want it loose and flopping around.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

That’s maybe the only reason I’d get one. Still, I think I would just go out and buy the hole saw size I needed instead.

the hole size I needed I could not find a hole saw for. Sometimes you do need an oddball size.

Last time I installed floor inserts, the manufacturer sent an aluminum template and specific instructions on what bushing and bit to use. Following their recommendation it took me 2 hours of trial and error to get the template trimmed to work. It was much quicker to just make my own this time.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Well I feel like today is my lucky day. I have been looking for a Draw Knife for some time now. After posting on Facebook that I was looking for Draw Knife. My uncle sent message letting me know he had one I could have. I went and picked it up this morning. My uncle cleaned it as was abit rusty for being his basement for 25 years. This Draw Knife was my Great Uncle’s. My uncle also offered me a big wooden tool box that was my great uncles. He had this when use to run a sawmill. I have go back with my truck to get the tool box.

The draw knife needs a little work. There is some cracks in the handles.

How cool is that. Something that you can treasure and pass down to your kids and keep it in the family.

Yes it is pretty cool for sure. I will treasure them for sure. I ended getting the tool box. It had a few tools in it. Two tools that I got were ones I was looking for. They were a draw knife and spoke shave. My uncle told me he has had them for 25 years in his basement. He they hadn’t used much since 1959 when our uncle sold the sawmill.

jackpot wtg Greg you must be living right looking for something and then a family member gives it to you plus some bonus stuff to cool

Yeah I feel like I have won the jackpot. I am glad my luck has kinda turned around. The bonus will come in handy also.

I have an old draw knife that was my grandfathers also. It is a neat thing to have. I do not use it much bit is nice to know where it came from. It always brings back great memories when you use it.

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 1,009 total)
  • The topic ‘V-24.0 Toolaholic Public Announcement Page’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.615 seconds