dcsimg

V-23 What did you do in the shop site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 561 through 580 (of 1,003 total)
  • Author

My day yesterday was interesting to say the least … We propped up a porch roof with screw jacks, tore down the front and side walls, cut out the rotted floor and joists. formed a triple support beam at floor level and installed three new 6×6 posts and tripple support beam for the roof.

All this while fighting a swarm of wasps who’s nest we had to remove from the eaves. At one point I must have had over a hundred wasps swarming around my head while gently opening up the old casings covering where the nest was.

I only received one little love sting, believe it or not, not when I was at the nest but 12 or so feet away on the ground. The clients wife was stung the day before but she made the mistake of swiping the wasp on her arm and that broke the stinger and left it in her arm, those stingers continue to pump even after the wasp has left it behind. Her arm swoll up to 2 times it’s normal size.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

My day yesterday was interesting to say the least … We propped up a porch roof with screw jacks, tore down the front and side walls, cut out the rotted floor and joists. formed a triple support beam at floor level and installed three new 6×6 posts and tripple support beam for the roof.

All this while fighting a swarm of wasps who’s nest we had to remove from the eaves. At one point I must have had over a hundred wasps swarming around my head while gently opening up the old casings covering where the nest was.

I only received one little love sting, believe it or not, not when I was at the nest but 12 or so feet away on the ground. The clients wife was stung the day before but she made the mistake of swiping the wasp on her arm and that broke the stinger and left it in her arm, those stingers continue to pump even after the wasp has left it behind. Her arm swoll up to 2 times it’s normal size.

Sounds like a big day! Guess you wished you had a big can of raid

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

All this while fighting a swarm of wasps who’s nest we had to remove from the eaves.

Not fun there. Thenext time you need to do that spray the nest with water and stomp on the wasps on the ground as when they are wet they cannot fly.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

All this while fighting a swarm of wasps who’s nest we had to remove from the eaves.

Not fun there. Thenext time you need to do that spray the nest with water and stomp on the wasps on the ground as when they are wet they cannot fly.

Yeah … no, my buddy tried that with a garden hose, all he did was piss the wasps off more. I’m the wasp whisperer, all the tiime I was working I talked to them … mainly quiet threats I grant you but talked to them non the less. This was my first wasp sting in 61 years. While everyone around me runs of with their arms flapping I stay calm. I even had several wasps land on my while I worked.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

woodman_412

I’ve been busy the last few days working on a new website which is why I’ve been pretty scarce around BTP. This is my first time building a real website so it’s a bit of a learning curve and there is a lot of work in it to put it all together. The new site is going to include my portfolio of work, my plans, DP Shop Talk and a blog section. I’m doing a rebranding and eliminating the Fox Hollow Woodworking name and putting everything under my own name so that it all ties together and it’s easier for people to find me. I’ve been getting feedback from viewers and plan customers lately suggesting a rebrand under my own name which is what prompted me to do it. The new website will also automate the sale of plans so that I don’t have to actually email out the file anymore. A download link will be automatically sent after payment clears that expires in 24 hours. Plan sales have really been picking up lately especially after the new MPT L-Boxx Worktop video came out on Saturday so I think it’s time for a new site and expand things a bit. The new website will also give me the option for selling merch, doing affiliate programs with sites like amazon and getting an email newsletter going. So that’s where I’ve been and will be for the next bit since there is still lots of work to do on it.

Dan

danpattison.com

I’ve been busy the last few days working on a new website which is why I’ve been pretty scarce around BTP. This is my first time building a real website so it’s a bit of a learning curve and there is a lot of work in it to put it all together. The new site is going to include my portfolio of work, my plans, DP Shop Talk and a blog section. I’m doing a rebranding and eliminating the Fox Hollow Woodworking name and putting everything under my own name so that it all ties together and it’s easier for people to find me. I’ve been getting feedback from viewers and plan customers lately suggesting a rebrand under my own name which is what prompted me to do it. The new website will also automate the sale of plans so that I don’t have to actually email out the file anymore. A download link will be automatically sent after payment clears that expires in 24 hours. Plan sales have really been picking up lately especially after the new MPT L-Boxx Worktop video came out on Saturday so I think it’s time for a new site and expand things a bit. The new website will also give me the option for selling merch, doing affiliate programs with sites like amazon and getting an email newsletter going. So that’s where I’ve been and will be for the next bit since there is still lots of work to do on it.

Dan,

I’m really glad to hear that things are moving for you, and hope your new consolidated branding will bring you to that next level.

I have been enjoying your videos and have read over your plans – both the table and lboxx top are on my to-build list (they are very useful for a small shop as well as a site)

I also hope that your ability to monetize your creations gives you more time to spend with your loved ones and chasing the projects that you want to do

I will continue to follow this – and your future – with great interest. Im sure it will all pan out for you

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

We propped up a porch roof with screw jacks, tore down the front and side walls, cut out the rotted floor and joists. formed a triple support beam at floor level and installed three new 6×6 posts and tripple support beam for the roof.

Sounds like your floor runs parallel to the house and framed independent from the roof with the 6×6 directly on footings. They all should be done like this.

Were you able replace the roof beam while you still had a floor to brace the ceiling with or did you need the new structure work off of?

I enjoy those jobs

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’ve been busy the last few days working on a new website which is why I’ve been pretty scarce around BTP.

Dan all of the improvements sound really nice. Really like the idea about a newsletter as well. Looking forward to seeing the web site when done.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Dan, that is a huge step forward. You will certainly see a big increase in traffic as a result not to mention the increase in revenue. Congrats on making the move.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Thats going to be awesome, make sure you get a chance to speak to jim about Seo stuff as Jim is a genius when it comes to that sort of thing. You can have the best site out there but if you aren’t seen by google, it just gets buried.

Wow, that’s excellent news Dan,
    Given your great plans and video reviews, I’m sure this will be great, looking forward to hearing more about your new venture.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I am getting down and dirty in my house .I am ripping out the ceiling in the master bedroom and putting in a vaulted ceiling .I am also ripping out all the old insulation on the other half of the house and replacing it with new stuff .What a dirty job 🙁

Will you be adding collar ties further up the ceiling once you remove the old ceiling joists .

Yes I am going to add a bunch of collar ties and props to support the roof .There isn’t one stick holding that roof up .Its amazing it hasn’t moved .

We propped up a porch roof with screw jacks, tore down the front and side walls, cut out the rotted floor and joists. formed a triple support beam at floor level and installed three new 6×6 posts and tripple support beam for the roof.

Sounds like your floor runs parallel to the house and framed independent from the roof with the 6×6 directly on footings. They all should be done like this.

Were you able replace the roof beam while you still had a floor to brace the ceiling with or did you need the new structure work off of?

I enjoy those jobs

The structure is as you said parallel to the house and was likely an add on approx 60 years after the house was built … the house dates back to the late 1800 … possibly 1882. The concrete footings laid leave a lot to be desired done well before it was understood that things would sink after a load was put on to them. So as a result the whole porch sank down across the front easily by 4 inches over 11 feet. Only the front area around what was the door was gone due to rot but we trimmed back 16″ along the front on the 16 foot wide frontage. The side of the porch will be re framed completely as it was nothing but a few sticks and barn board. The front will be framed for a 3 ft door and window/s. The left side requires less as most is brick, I will know later once the client make up his mind.

Kinda a frame it and see job.

Yes … in short we still had some floor to work off all-be-it of the level. The floor was 1 1/4 t&g pine.

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

What did it have brick piers and a beam pocket into the house?

Maybe back in the day they thought frost heave would balance sinking. Lol

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Last night I finished the inlay work at a local bar.

Charlie

Instagram

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Got out there and did the lay out for the sockets for my half-lap dovetails for the skirt of the coffee table. Got one set cut and it was a bit too tight a blew out a bit of wood. So I glued that back in and got it clamped up.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

What did it have brick piers and a beam pocket into the house?

Maybe back in the day they thought frost heave would balance sinking. Lol

No … it had 3 8 inch thick concrete walls built to just under floor joist height set at 8 ft centers, sitting atop o’ that was a a 10 x 2 (no dpc)

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I am getting down and dirty in my house .I am ripping out the ceiling in the master bedroom and putting in a vaulted ceiling .I am also ripping out all the old insulation on the other half of the house and replacing it with new stuff .What a dirty job 🙁

Will you be adding collar ties further up the ceiling once you remove the old ceiling joists .

Yes I am going to add a bunch of collar ties and props to support the roof .There isn’t one stick holding that roof up .Its amazing it hasn’t moved .

LOL it looks like the roof on my house. IIRC there are a couple of collar ties, but nothing that would pass code today. Yet it has stood for over a century.

Last night I finished the inlay work at a local bar.

Nice work on the inlay, Charlie.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Finished the kitchen today. It tool a little longer than expected. The cabinet company had a couple mistakes that we worked through. It was very uncharacteristic of them. We use that particular company quite often because of how nice of a job they do

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Demo brick on one job, then I took a guy to another job to demo drywall/plaster/lath. The other two guys were stuck painting on a job that has been dragging on.

Viewing 20 posts - 561 through 580 (of 1,003 total)
  • The topic ‘V-23 What did you do in the shop site today?’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.480 seconds