dcsimg

V-20 I GOT A BOX

Viewing 20 posts - 901 through 920 (of 940 total)
  • Author

This has been my week! I got my box from BTP today – my first ever worm drive saw!

Congrats on the new saw Charlie
    I am looking forward to hearing what you think about it , you’re gonna to see a huge difference I like using the worm type , just never bought one myself ,

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

This has been my week! I got my box from BTP today – my first ever worm drive saw!

Congrats! Looks like a really nice saw. Looks forward how you like it and how well performs for you.

Greg

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Congrats on the new saw Charlie
    I am looking forward to hearing what you think about it , you’re gonna to see a huge difference I like using the worm type , just never bought one myself ,

I’ve used them a bunch too, and same. So I’m excited to get it finally ha e one myself! It’s such a universally recognized carpenters tool too. Which makes me happy to think about 🙂 Maybe this means now I’m a real carpenter lol!

I have so many memories of using my dads old Skilsaw when we were building our house. It’s like holding a piece of history that’s still a versatile, reliable piece of equipment to this day.

Charlie

Instagram

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Congrats on the new saw Charlie . In all my years I have never owned a worm saw. Hope you like it!

redwood
    Pro

Congrats Charlie,
    I’m the opposite of most here. I’ve always owned a worm drive saw for the last 45 years. I still own 3. Never a Bosch though.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Congrats on the new saw Charlie . In all my years I have never owned a worm saw. Hope you like it!

Any specific reason for that?

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

Congrats Charlie,
    I’m the opposite of most here. I’ve always owned a worm drive saw for the last 45 years. I still own 3. Never a Bosch though.

What brand(s) do you favor for worm drive saws Mark?

And is there anything you see about the Bosch you don’t like?

@redwood

redwood
    Pro

I can’t remember if I’ve actually ever seen a Bosch wormdrive in person. Since I think it came out during the time that Bosch owned Skil, I would assume that it is very similar.

I’ve owned many Skil’s and never wore one out, and they got a lot of use. I’ve also owned similar saws by Makita (I still have) and DeWalt. I liked the DeWalt, but it died a premature death. I like the Makita, but the one I have is a heavier one, so I generally use a Skil Mag. I’ve actually been using it this week on a deck that I’m assisting with. It felt good.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I can’t remember if I’ve actually ever seen a Bosch wormdrive in person. Since I think it came out during the time that Bosch owned Skil, I would assume that it is very similar.

I’ve owned many Skil’s and never wore one out, and they got a lot of use. I’ve also owned similar saws by Makita (I still have) and DeWalt. I liked the DeWalt, but it died a premature death. I like the Makita, but the one I have is a heavier one, so I generally use a Skil Mag. I’ve actually been using it this week on a deck that I’m assisting with. It felt good.

I’ve never seen one either, @redwood. I have 2 Skil wormdrives; a 7 1/4″ that has been a workhorse for me for more years than I will admit to and an 8 1/4 that I picked up a couple of years ago just because it was available, in really nice shape and well priced. They will both go to the kids very soon, I’m just not doing that kind of work much anymore. They will be around long after the new cordless saws have packed it in IMO.

I would very much like to get one of the new Skilsaw cordless wormdrives in my hands for a day to give it a road test.

@cmeyer25 Looks to me like a Skil Mag77. Once you get accustomed to handling it, you will never want a sidewinder in your hands again. It’s a real gamechanger. Congrats on that choice.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

Thanks Mark. I’ve been at a loss as to what to redeem for, maybe the worm Bosch is an option. Maybe.

But tell me, is it just that it ploughs thhu stock faster is the big selling point? I know that the design is such in a worm that it has a hell of a lot more power than a reg direct drive circ saw, but other than nesting a board on my angled foot making a cut, which is something I DON’T want to achieve, is there more to it than that?

Hey, didn’t you get one of those Skil worm drive table saws? Tell us more about that….again. 😕

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Thanks Mark. I’ve been at a loss as to what to redeem for, maybe the worm Bosch is an option. Maybe.

But tell me, is it just that it ploughs thhu stock faster is the big selling point? I know that the design is such in a worm that it has a hell of a lot more power than a reg direct drive circ saw, but other than nesting a board on my angled foot making a cut, which is something I DON’T want to achieve, is there more to it than that?

Hey, didn’t you get one of those Skil worm drive table saws? Tell us more about that….again. 😕

It’s supposed to be easier to track straight too I think, right?

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Here’s a good overview of the legendary saw from a pro who has used one all his working life and another highlighting the Mag77, the current favourite.

Here’s a good overview of the legendary saw from a pro who has used one all his working life and another highlighting the Mag77, the current favourite.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe title=”Skil Saw Pro Tips” width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/jDfpl1_I904?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>
    <figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe title=”New SkilSaw Mag77 Worm Drive: Fixing what isn’t broken?” width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/BqnrbEX13WE?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

He definitely has the experience , he’s got some great videos out , are you following him on IG also Peter ?
    Thanks for the videos
    I’d love to try that new cordless worm out also

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe title=”Skil Saw Pro Tips” width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/jDfpl1_I904?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>
    <figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe title=”New SkilSaw Mag77 Worm Drive: Fixing what isn’t broken?” width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/BqnrbEX13WE?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

He definitely has the experience , he’s got some great videos out , are you following him on IG also Peter ?
    Thanks for the videos
    I’d love to try that new cordless worm out also

Yes, I have a lot of respect for his wisdom and his skills. I do follow him on IG as well.

The 100′ cord he adds to his saw has received some criticism as not being OSHA compliant. That’s an issue, for sure but he does a good job of justifying it from a functional perspective anyway.

redwood
    Pro

Somewhere on this site, I have a review of the Skilsaw I received from BTP a few years ago.

Resting your lumber on your foot is one of the staples of using a wormdrive. You can do that because the handle is behind the motor vs. on top of it and you can see your line very easily. They weigh more then a sidewinder, which adds to the stability of the saw. Ripping lumber is much easier to keep a straight line. The only advantage a sidewinder has, in my opinion, is cutting posts that are over your head. That’s where the weight and hand placement are a advantage.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Doobie

Somewhere on this site, I have a review of the Skilsaw I received from BTP a few years ago.

Resting your lumber on your foot is one of the staples of using a wormdrive. You can do that because the handle is behind the motor vs. on top of it and you can see your line very easily. They weigh more then a sidewinder, which adds to the stability of the saw. Ripping lumber is much easier to keep a straight line. The only advantage a sidewinder has, in my opinion, is cutting posts that are over your head. That’s where the weight and hand placement are a advantage.

Thanks again Mark.

But I think I’m gonna pass on looking at getting one. I just can’t see it becoming a go-to tool for me. I have a host of other saws to do what I need and the greater speed in cutting aspect is not a motivator for me.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Being a mdiwest guy, I have primarily used sidewinder saws most of my career. I started using worm drives about 10 years ago and haven’t looked back. I still have a few sidewinders but the worm drive (of which I now have 5, counting the Sawsquatch). I have the Bosch and Skil wormdrives and they are pretty much identical.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks again Mark.

But I think I’m gonna pass on looking at getting one. I just can’t see it becoming a go-to tool for me. I have a host of other saws to do what I need and the greater speed in cutting aspect is not a motivator for me.

So let me get this straight; you asked all the questions, got the answers including endorsements from working pros, then rejected it all.

What a colossal waste of everyone’s time.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Any specific reason for that?

I guess you never miss what you have never had.

Doobie

. I have the Bosch and Skil wormdrives and they are pretty much identical.

Thanks Chad. That’s what I was originally wondering but now after all the other feedback and further thoughts on it, I ‘m gonna pass on getting one. It just wouldn’t suit how I do things.

Is the Sasquatch their big 16 inch saw? If so, do ypu use it freehand or have you designed a guide jig for it like I’ve seen others do with their similar Makitas?

Viewing 20 posts - 901 through 920 (of 940 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.012 seconds