dcsimg

V-20 I GOT A BOX

Viewing 20 posts - 761 through 780 (of 1,042 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I got a box, and it had 2 boxes in it. Thanks BTP and Bosch!

JDO that is a great box, Congrats and Enjoy.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Kevin congrats on you new TS as well. Enjoy.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

@Doobie congrats once again , it’s definitely a nice saw. Under the clearance plate you have some allen socket heads.
    I had to adjust the riving knife , mine wasn’t fully inline with the blade. The wood would stop when I tried to make cuts.
    Easy fix , now it’s like butter , the older model that this new one replaced had a 40 tooth blade I think , I actually don’t know why they went to a lesser amount of teeth.
    Regardless , it’s only a blade and I already bought two better Bosch blades for the saw.
    That being said , it’s definitely a nice job site saw.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Congrats!

@doobie sounds like an excellent saw, still worth it after four years of postponing 🙂 Someday I hope to be able to redeem for one of the extractors, and it’ll be that same kind of feeling I think.

Charlie

Instagram

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Congrats Kevin on your new table saw .

Doobie

doobie congrats once again , it’s definitely a nice saw. Under the clearance plate you have some allen socket heads.
    I had to adjust the riving knife , mine wasn’t fully inline with the blade. The wood would stop when I tried to make cuts.
    Easy fix , now it’s like butter , the older model that this new one replaced had a 40 tooth blade I think , I actually don’t know why they went to a lesser amount of teeth.
    Regardless , it’s only a blade and I already bought two better Bosch blades for the saw.

Good to know. Thanks for the feedback Brian.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

congrats JDO on your new tools

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

Nice. Congratz Jim. 👍

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

But I had my 15 yo son in the car with me and we had a good conversation about nuclear power plants as I had just binged watched a few nights ago the Chernobyl 5 part HBO mini-series where I was explaining to him some of the incredible things that happened there.

Where we were was just a stones throw away from a nuclear power plant for which we live not much further downwind from it a half hour bike ride away and my son had pointed out how he recalled us going there when he was little to see a giant windmill they put up there which to me was just a nuclear PR green energy symbol of sorts.

Thankfully, in the past speaking with people who work there over the years at the OPG Pickering Nuclear and getting an understanding of our type of CANDU nuclear reactors here in Canada we are nowhere near as dangerous as the type of other country’s nuclear reactor designs, especially the inherently poorly designed style the Ruskies use.

What we achieve in safety of our CANDUs design is a trade off with how much energy our reactors can produce in electricity which is half of most other non-Ruskie designs. One tidbit I recall being told is that our reactors can be shut down real fast, safely. But to re-engage them, or in other words to power them back up running to start making power again, takes a month.

Comforting to learn these things over the years. When I moved here 20 years ago after marrying my wife and finding a house close to her work at the time here in Ajax, I kinda got freaked out that they would mail iodine pills every few years with instructions as to when to use them. Say what? But now, I really see that as more of a PR gesture more than any real threat reason after speaking to many real qualified people about our nuclear energy here in Canada ober the years. I’ve met, had or have as clients, many OPG people from as low as security person who makes 80K a year, to vice-presidents making over a quarter of a million a year. Some have developed into close friends.

Anyways, I digress, but watch that Chernobyl HBO series if you can. It’s incredible that that disaster didn’t kill tens of millions of people or poisoned the viable drinking waters for 100 million Ruskies. Makes Three Mile Island of the 70s and the Japanese Tsunami nuclear of a few years ago episodes look so minor relatively. The Ruskies had a flawed design and they had kept it secret from the world and the people who operated it. Scary stuff kids!

Where I used worked they made alot parts for the Nuclear Reactors over the years. Before I got laid off they were parts for the reactors at Bruce Power.

GTokley wrote:
    That is good you got your TS Kevin. Look forward hearing how you like.

Well, so far I unpacked and assembled it. I like it so far. Well designed saw.

Looks like a nice saw. I really like the stand.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Enjoy the contents of those boxes JDO – bet you get a lot of good use out of those.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Congrats, Jim, I’ll be interested to know what you think of this model compared to the 1617.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Nice unit there, particularly on the stand.

and you win the “longest post” contest…..lol. Just kidding of course. I like your stories.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

and you win the “longest post” contest…..lol. Just kidding of course. I like your stories.

No prob Jim. I don’t mind babbling along about tools and such. It’s a big reason this forum exists, is to share our experiences and knowledge about all things tools and such. I do my best to contribute where and when I can.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

No prob Jim. I don’t mind babbling along about tools and such. It’s a big reason this forum exists, is to share our experiences and knowledge about all things tools and such. I do my best to contribute where and when I can.

o share our experiences and knowledge about all things tools and such. I do my best to contribute where and when I can.

I look forward reading this forum every day. It is nice that we can share experiences & knowledge about things. Sometimes even have a laugh or two. I too try my best where I can.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

@doobie congrats once again , it’s definitely a nice saw. Under the clearance plate you have some allen socket heads.

I do prefer that they include a rather generic ‘all purpose’ blade with most tools, especially a table saw. Rather that than a higher overall price for the saw due to a more expensive blade that many not fit the reason for purchasing the tool.

A generic blade can often be used for one-off tasks that do not need a high quality blade. The savings on the saw itself can be used on the 3 or 4 specialty blades ya need. 🙂

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

redwood
    Pro

If your just ripping lumber and don’t need truly finish cuts, fewer teeth on a table saw blade is actually preferred to a 80 tooth blade.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

If your just ripping lumber and don’t need truly finish cuts, fewer teeth on a table saw blade is actually preferred to a 80 tooth blade.

I know I prefer a 24T blade for things like ripping PT lumber like I’ve been doing this week. I’ve had a 60T Bosch blade and it definitely works, but it’s not ideal.

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

I know I prefer a 24T blade for things like ripping PT lumber like I’ve been doing this week. I’ve had a 60T Bosch blade and it definitely works, but it’s not ideal.

Maybe I’ll just use the stock one and see how it lasts. Generally, I remove stock blades and replace them almost immdediately, and simply keep the stock one as a back up if ever needed. I just figure the one on it now won’t stay sharp very long.

Today, I went and ordered the outfeed and left side supports along with the dust bag and dust collection adapter to a 35mm hose. I also ordered the 3rd party LeeCraft phenolic zero clearance insert for it. I felt the gaping of the insert that came with it is pretty wide for any thin rips. Already spending $250 or so in doodads for it. Doesn’t take long does it?

I’ve been using the stand blade that came with the saw so far , it’s giving me a nice enough cut so far ,

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’ve been using the stand blade that came with the saw so far , it’s giving me a nice enough cut so far ,

I used the factory blade for a long time after I got my GTS1031. It worked great for all the dimensional lumber projects I used it for. Like Kevin was saying, for non- fine woodworking work, it’s perfectly capable of doing what needs to be done. Especially if you don’t want to have to spend a bunch of money right away, lol.

Charlie

Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 761 through 780 (of 1,042 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.808 seconds