dcsimg

V-20 I GOT A BOX

Viewing 20 posts - 741 through 760 (of 1,602 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

And I got mine today too!

Congratz Charlie. Can never have too many of those on hand.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Ohhhhhhh that is a nice box @gtokley ! Congrats !!

Congrats on your blade box @cmeyer25 !

Thanks it is a nice box. I am going enjoy using it.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

My box just arrived. Thanks BTP & Bosch tools.

Congrats on your receiving your new tool, Enjoy.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

I’m gonna bet my new 4100 TS arrives today. Just a hunch. Hope we don’t miss the knock at the door when Purolator arrives though. But with such a large and heavy box, betcha the guy knocks/rings more than once rather than have to lug it to the depot.

Oh shoot! That’s right. It’s a holiday here today in Ontario. And what is open and who works is one of those mixed bags of tricks. Not sure if Puro will be one of those working or not. Maybe it will not be til tomorrow now that I think about it.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

My box just arrived. Thanks BTP & Bosch tools.

Congrats on your receiving your new tool, Enjoy.

Thanks Bill.

I’m gonna bet my new 4100 TS arrives today. Just a hunch. Hope we don’t miss the knock at the door when Purolator arrives though. But with such a large and heavy box, betcha the guy knocks/rings more than once rather than have to lug it to the depot.

Oh shoot! That’s right. It’s a holiday here today in Ontario. And what is open and who works is one of those mixed bags of tricks. Not sure if Puro will be one of those working or not. Maybe it will not be til tomorrow now that I think about it.

I know my box wasn’t as big as yours will be. But the Puro driver struggled getting it to the door. I was happy to be home when he delivered it. I just got home from work and was heading out in 10 minutes to watch the girls play at Theater Camp.

Yup today is a holiday. Yeah it is a mix bag who works and who doesn’t. I don’t think Purolator works today.
    I would think your TS will be delivered tomorrow.
    I have put a signed note for the Puro driver to leave my package at the door. It works. If I know a package is coming. With some BTP packages I didn’t know there were coming so I had to pick them up at Purolator Depot at NAPA here in town.

Greg

Doobie

I have put a signed note for the Puro driver to leave my package at the door. It works. If I know a package is coming.

That doesn’t work here unfortunately. Puro and Can post all require face to face delivery here even when no actual signature is required.

In contrast, Fedex and UPS leave stuff at the door all the time even when there is a signature required. Go figure.

I have put a signed note for the Puro driver to leave my package at the door. It works. If I know a package is coming.

That doesn’t work here unfortunately. Puro and Can post all require face to face delivery here even when no actual signature is required.

In contrast, Fedex and UPS leave stuff at the door all the time even when there is a signature required. Go figure.

I used to miss most of the delivery packages from BTP , one day when I actually caught the driver , he mentioned that I could just sign up for the drop off , now they have permission to ring and run so to speak

Doobie

I used to miss most of the delivery packages from BTP , one day when I actually caught the driver , he mentioned that I could just sign up for the drop off , now they have permission to ring and run so to speak

I’ve been offered that as well by the Puro guy recently, but that scares me if something ever does go missing that I would now have no recourse for replacement.

I’ve been offered that as well by the Puro guy recently, but that scares me if something ever does go missing that I would now have no recourse for replacement.

That’s a good point , I’m lucky in a sense that my MIL lives with us , I usually tell her to keep an eye out , and usually when she hears the bell ring. She will come up and check. I never thought about that , u wonder what would happen. I hope i never have to experience that

Doobie

Well. I call Bosch Canada again today to finally get a Purolator tracking number for my 4100 TS coming my way and once I plug it into the Puro site’s tracking, it shows that they need to call me to make an appointment for the delivery.

So I call Puro and just get a regular customer service dude who takes down my phone number and says they will call ‘whenever’ basically they get around to it and that there is no time specific as to when they may do that and that they only do appointment deliveries on ‘special’ days only.

So now I wait for a phone call from Puro.

EDIT: Within minutes of typing that and maybe 15 mins after I got off the phone with Puro, I get a call from the local depot where it is sitting right now. They can deliver tomorrow, or I can come in to pick it up.

I need to go to the local dump with another load of basement reno waste which is across the street from the Puro depot, so I booked the delivery for Thursday instead, and may just go and pick it up instead between now and Thursday as their appointment time frames are not any narrower than telling me ‘anytime’ between 8AM and 4PM. Sticking around for the whole day is not ideal for me possibly.

Doobie

So I went to the Puro local depot after a dump run and picked up my 4100 TS.

I shoulda waited til tomorrow though. After the long weekend the line up at the dump was the worse I’ve ever seen. What normally would take 10 mins was well over an hour. The line up to get in wasn’t too bad, but the line up to get weighed and pay was like around 50 cars deep. Sigh!

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I shoulda waited til tomorrow though. After the long weekend the line up at the dump was the worse I’ve ever seen. What normally would take 10 mins was well over an hour. The line up to get in wasn’t too bad, but the line up to get weighed and pay was like around 50 cars deep. Sigh!

Bummer about the long wait, but at least you have your saw now!

Charlie

Instagram

Congrats Kevin , looking forward to hearing what you think about the saw.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I got a box, and it had 2 boxes in it. Thanks BTP and Bosch!

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Attachments:
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

That is good you got your TS Kevin. Look forward hearing how you like.

Congrats Jim! That is great you got your box or boxes. Look forward hearing how you like your new router.

Greg

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Congrats on the box Jim. Your going to like that router.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Congrats Kevin. That’s a great box.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

I’m such a dork, and it’s not the first time this happens when announcing a ‘Box’ redemption arrival for me, THANK YOU BOSCH, BTP, BRITTANY AND CO, and of course all the BTP members that help contribute and keep this amazing forum rolling along!

Sheesh! Can’t believe I did that again. My sincere apologies to all. 😯

Bummer about the long wait, but at least you have your saw now!

Lesson learnt. Won’t be looking to do that again. I just hate line ups.

But I had my 15 yo son in the car with me and we had a good conversation about nuclear power plants as I had just binged watched a few nights ago the Chernobyl 5 part HBO mini-series where I was explaining to him some of the incredible things that happened there.

Where we were was just a stones throw away from a nuclear power plant for which we live not much further downwind from it a half hour bike ride away and my son had pointed out how he recalled us going there when he was little to see a giant windmill they put up there which to me was just a nuclear PR green energy symbol of sorts.

Thankfully, in the past speaking with people who work there over the years at the OPG Pickering Nuclear and getting an understanding of our type of CANDU nuclear reactors here in Canada we are nowhere near as dangerous as the type of other country’s nuclear reactor designs, especially the inherently poorly designed style the Ruskies use.

What we achieve in safety of our CANDUs design is a trade off with how much energy our reactors can produce in electricity which is half of most other non-Ruskie designs. One tidbit I recall being told is that our reactors can be shut down real fast, safely. But to re-engage them, or in other words to power them back up running to start making power again, takes a month.

Comforting to learn these things over the years. When I moved here 20 years ago after marrying my wife and finding a house close to her work at the time here in Ajax, I kinda got freaked out that they would mail iodine pills every few years with instructions as to when to use them. Say what? But now, I really see that as more of a PR gesture more than any real threat reason after speaking to many real qualified people about our nuclear energy here in Canada ober the years. I’ve met, had or have as clients, many OPG people from as low as security person who makes 80K a year, to vice-presidents making over a quarter of a million a year. Some have developed into close friends.

Anyways, I digress, but watch that Chernobyl HBO series if you can. It’s incredible that that disaster didn’t kill tens of millions of people or poisoned the viable drinking waters for 100 million Ruskies. Makes Three Mile Island of the 70s and the Japanese Tsunami nuclear of a few years ago episodes look so minor relatively. The Ruskies had a flawed design and they had kept it secret from the world and the people who operated it. Scary stuff kids!

Congrats Kevin , looking forward to hearing what you think about the saw.

That is good you got your TS Kevin. Look forward hearing how you like.

Well, so far I unpacked and assembled it. I like it so far. Well designed saw.

First, I never would have gotten it, even for free essentially, if it didn’t have a decent fence. I knew it did, and it is a good design for a small portable TS. Any fence that essentially uses a front and rear rail system to be secured, is typically a better fence. I know on cabinet saws a lot of folks love their Biesemer style front rail secured only fences. Those are good long term fences. But most other front only designs slop over time, especially on small TSs like this.

The assembly of the gravity rise stand was very similar to that of the T4B gravity rise miter saw stand I assembled a few months ago. I got confounded at the end when I had two nuts and bolts leftover and couldn’t figure out what I missed. Then I re-read the parts list and it said they provided them as extras. Why? I can’t think of a logical reason. Just slowed me down at that juncture frankly.

I did find that the mounting bolts for the 4100 unit to the stand were a bit thinnish. But as long as the nut/bolt quality is good, they should be fine. They look like at least grade 5.

I’m impressed with the safety system of the fence, riving knife, and anti kick back pawls. NO TOOLS REQUIRED to implement and dissassemble and they all have their own onboard storage areas on the saw body that seem quite able to keep them securely in place in transport along with storage for the fence itself and the accompanying push stick they also supply with the TS. It also has an onboard hex key (for what I don’t realise yet) and a key to remove the saw blade arbor nut.

Now about the saw blade that came with it. I know even when I got my Unisaw 20 years ago, just about all saw blades that come with any tool are POS. My Unisaw blade that came with it sucked and it took a second sharpening at the time to figure that out.

I think this one that came with the 4100 is a 40 tooth 10 inch carbide tipped blade. Good for rough rip cuts, which is where this saw will be used for 90 plus percent of the time, but how good is it at even that insofar as durability?

For those who have this saw, how did you find this stock blade that came with it, and/or what did you replace it? I’m looking at jobsite construction use. Not fine woodworking, for that, I have my Unisaw with Forrest and Ridge Carbide blades, but I really don’t want to use those high priced blades in this saw for construction use cutting. Rarely would I be cross cutting with it also. Any suggestions?

After assembly and seeing as to how all the top side stuff can be stored on the outer body perimeters of this unit, I’m actually quite pleased as to how much footprint this saw occupies once folded down, which is seemingly effortless to fold down or set back up.

Bosch really has this gravity rise business figured out well. I have a piston assist PC/Dewalt miter saw garvity assist, and it is nowhere near as smooth and easy as the Bosch design. Bosch doesn’t use a piston system, they just simply engineered a swing/balance design. It really works well!

I still need to see if its all calibrated properly, and the instruction manual I glanced at that area in regards to seems to have excellent calibration instructions which are quite different from that of a real cabinet saw which is what I’m used to.

In fact, the safety instructions in it are there. Meaning, when I got my Unisaw way back almost 20 years ago, you think I could remember all the DOs and DON’Ts from using a TS in high school shop class decades before? The Unisaw had squat for procedural usage safety instructions other than ‘don’t use while intoxicated or standing in the rain’ BS.

This Bosch unit owners manual for the 4100-10 Table Saw had quite a lot, albeit, for any novice table saw user, some of the pointers coulda really helped with illustrations if the reader failed to properly relate back to an earlier written glossary in the owners manual and truly could understand what was being described. Still, it’s miles ahead of what my Unisaw came with insofar as execution dangers to avoid.

Anyways, these are my initial ponderings on my most recent redemption, thanks to Bosch and also ‘John’. As some may have read from some comments a few weeks ago when I announced I was redeeming for this prize, when I first became active on the BTP forum, which was well a year more or less from the time I registered thanks to the promptings of a now seldom poster John @Cranbrook2, I had initially thought I would aim for the 4100 TS as my first redemption. This was not to be…

Being on this quite tool enlightening forum as an actual steadily active member, I quickly learned about the potential benefits of an SDS-Max dual combination rotary hammer and what it could do for me. I then decided way back then over four years ago to ‘postpone’ getting the 4100 TS and redeemed for the 11264EVS Rotary Hammer instead, which was indeed a great decision.

Well finally, after many many other redemptions since then, and now that I actually have an envisioned specific out of shop use for a second table saw AND a place to store it, I finally have what was my original desire….the 4100 table saw with gravity rise stand.

Kinda sweet frankly. Feels like I’ve come full circle in some way. Now I’m thinking of just redeeming for tools as ‘thank yous’ gifts to my two contractor buddies/friends in plumbing/gas and electrical who do contra work with me for me already doing their financial stuff for free on my end. They actually both still owe me large, but I don’t care, they’re both great dudes. It’s gotten to the point I either do that, or start selling redemptions on Kijiji, and I don’t do Kijiji. Nuff said!

Here’s some pics of the 4100 TS and stand assembly. Took me a slow paced hour and a half and such with playing around with learning how the safety guards worked and where on-board they stored.

One note about the seperate stand instructions, I think they are still supplying the 4100-09 stand instructions versus the newer designed stand for the 4100-10 model. Some of the images weren’t quite right, but they were figurable nonetheless. They changed some of the components shapes as far as I can tell that hold the wheels.

Having a couple of vacant joist hooks from above made some of the assembly a lot easier hooking it up there at certain junctures of assembly, they just so happen to already be perfectly spaced for that task.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Nice box, bet you’ll enjoy that TS!

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Congrats Jim , that’s a great box, I’m sure you will put them to great use.

Viewing 20 posts - 741 through 760 (of 1,602 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.191 seconds