dcsimg

V-20 I GOT A BOX

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 940 total)
  • Author
    cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

well, I am afraid the GMS120 wall scanner is heading to a shelf. Now I am not saying it’s not a good tool, but my reason for trying it out is to look for wood studs behind walls, and the walls I run into ALL THE TIME is not your standard 1/2″ or 5/8″ sheet rock, but rock lath, which is 3/8″ gypsum base with a 3/8″ brown coat of plaster then a 1/8″ coat of eggshell plaster. This is a total of 7/8″ thick incredibly dense wall that to this date I haven’t come across a stud finder that work on it.

It looks like you need a bigger better scanner. The D-Tect150 will find everything in that wall.

That one works through lath and plaster? I have been looking for a stud finder that will do that for years! I might need to invest in that for future projects if it really works.

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

No box for me this week. Maybe next week.

Greg

redwood
    Pro

That one works through lath and plaster? I have been looking for a stud finder that will do that for years! I might need to invest in that for future projects if it really works.

Here is a old review of the D-tect 150

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/bosch-d-tect-150-wallfloor-scanner/

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Here is a old review of the D-tect 150

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/bosch-d-tect-150-wallfloor-scanner/

That’s a great resource, thanks for linking that review.

Charlie

Instagram

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

My primary aim is to maybe find my main waste drain under my basement floor’s slab so that I may tap into it to add a bathroom in our basement.

It can scan up to 6-8 inches into concrete apparently. Problem is, my plumber buddy who lives down a few streets over says his drain was around twelve inches below his slab when he went and added a bathroom in his basement, although he does say every house can be different with how deep it is.

Do you know what kind of drain it is? Cast iron? PVC? Orangeburg cardboard paper pipe?

Its a big gamble to use that device to try and locate the pipe, not knowing how deep and from the reviews I think it is a bit of a learning curve as well.

I would suggest using other more reliable methods, such as:

Pour some radioactive waste from that fallen Japanese nuclear power plant down one toilet and follow it with a Geiger counter in your basement, or

Flush a fish down your toilet and follow it with a fish finder, or

but seriously if I am going to cut up concrete slab I want to know for sure it’s there and not “most likely this is where” so I would probably hire out a line location service and have them feed a camera fitted with a transmitter down the drain, they use a transmitter/receiver to locate. The beauty of this approach is (a) you are getting the pipe location (b) you can see from the inside any fitting like a 45 or 90 or existing wyes or combos, so when you plan your tie in cut you won’t be coming in only to see a fitting with a branch facing the other side and you have to tie in upstream or downstream of it (c) you also get a good look at the pipe’s inside and if there is any back pitch or problem areas you can plan your tie in and repair together.

My primary aim is to maybe find my main waste drain under my basement floor’s slab so that I may tap into it to add a bathroom in our basement.

It can scan up to 6-8 inches into concrete apparently. Problem is, my plumber buddy who lives down a few streets over says his drain was around twelve inches below his slab when he went and added a bathroom in his basement, although he does say every house can be different with how deep it is.

Do you know what kind of drain it is? Cast iron? PVC? Orangeburg cardboard paper pipe?

Its a big gamble to use that device to try and locate the pipe, not knowing how deep and from the reviews I think it is a bit of a learning curve as well.

I would suggest using other more reliable methods, such as:

Pour some radioactive waste from that fallen Japanese nuclear power plant down one toilet and follow it with a Geiger counter in your basement, or

Flush a fish down your toilet and follow it with a fish finder, or

but seriously if I am going to cut up concrete slab I want to know for sure it’s there and not “most likely this is where” so I would probably hire out a line location service and have them feed a camera fitted with a transmitter down the drain, they use a transmitter/receiver to locate. The beauty of this approach is (a) you are getting the pipe location (b) you can see from the inside any fitting like a 45 or 90 or existing wyes or combos, so when you plan your tie in cut you won’t be coming in only to see a fitting with a branch facing the other side and you have to tie in upstream or downstream of it (c) you also get a good look at the pipe’s inside and if there is any back pitch or problem areas you can plan your tie in and repair together.

Both guys at work are plumbers , both of them can look at the plumbing in a house and tell you pretty much excact location of the drain , they do have standards for plumbing , I’m always amazed how they do it ,
    No high tech stuff , just plain old experience
    I’ve done easily over 30 basement renovations and they usually used to do the bathrooms , and I have never seen them get it wrong.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Both guys at work are plumbers , both of them can look at the plumbing in a house and tell you pretty much excact location of the drain , they do have standards for plumbing , I’m always amazed how they do it ,

I do a bunch of plumbing, and I worked with a number of master plumbers and amazed at given the fixture locations and constraints, many of them will run the drains differently. They all work, just preferences. I would have to say experience on how someone else might have done it that long ago would only come into play if they have seen the work of that someone at another house, or know something about that specific locale. Generally speaking though, without knowing the “neighborhood” houses and having worked on them previously and use those data points for extrapolation, you cannot really tell with the precision needed to cut as narrow a path of concrete above it to tie into it. The older a house is, the more likely it was renovated X times, and it’s the previous renovations that could put a twist on any assumptions and experiences. Now a basement may be easier if it typically does not have many fixtures going to it so most likely a straight shot.

I do a bunch of plumbing, and I worked with a number of master plumbers and amazed at given the fixture locations and constraints, many of them will run the drains differently. They all work, just preferences. I would have to say experience on how someone else might have done it that long ago would only come into play if they have seen the work of that someone at another house, or know something about that specific locale. Generally speaking though, without knowing the “neighborhood” houses and having worked on them previously and use those data points for extrapolation, you cannot really tell with the precision needed to cut as narrow a path of concrete above it to tie into it. The older a house is, the more likely it was renovated X times, and it’s the previous renovations that could put a twist on any assumptions and experiences. Now a basement may be easier if it typically does not have many fixtures going to it so most likely a straight shot.

I am talking specifically for basement plumbing , they can tell by the way the stack runs, and by the way the clean out is placed , oh, and they are master plumbers also ,

Anyway let’s not get this thread all plugged up about plumbing, it’s supposed to be for boxes 🤔😁

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

well, I am afraid the GMS120 wall scanner is heading to a shelf. Now I am not saying it’s not a good tool, but my reason for trying it out is to look for wood studs behind walls, and the walls I run into ALL THE TIME is not your standard 1/2″ or 5/8″ sheet rock, but rock lath, which is 3/8″ gypsum base with a 3/8″ brown coat of plaster then a 1/8″ coat of eggshell plaster. This is a total of 7/8″ thick incredibly dense wall that to this date I haven’t come across a stud finder that work on it.

It looks like you need a bigger better scanner. The D-Tect150 will find everything in that wall.

Yes it does. Is it still on the list?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Yes it does. Is it still on the list?

It is – 466K…whew! I was thinking (hoping?) you all were talking about the second most pointly scanner but having just looked at the list I see I was mistaken. Anyone know if the D-Tect 120 would work on plaster? That model is a little more attainable for me, lol!

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I got a box yesterday my ROS65VC-5 5″ Rear-Handle Random Orbit Sander with Vibration Control. The stuff is still being sent.

Thank you to Brittany and the whole BTP Team for your help and for sending the order promptly.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Congrats on your new sander. That should make sanding easy.

I got a box yesterday my ROS65VC-5 5″ Rear-Handle Random Orbit Sander with Vibration Control. The stuff is still being sent.

Thank you to Brittany and the whole BTP Team for your help and for sending the order promptly.

Congratulations Bill looking forward to hearing what you think about this.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Congrats on the box Bill. I really like that sander. It’s smooth.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Congrats, Bill, that’s a very popular choice and well reviewed.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Awesome, I really like mine so far; On a side note it really annoys me in the ROS sander review articles they never review this model only the cheapest Bosch model (~$40) and then pick the ridiculously expensive Festool as the winner, never considering this awesome sander which is cheaper than the Festool.

Will

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

It’s so good to see people getting boxes! Congrats on your new sander 🙂

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

I got a box yesterday my ROS65VC-5 5″ Rear-Handle Random Orbit Sander with Vibration Control.

Congratz on the box Bill! 👍

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Congrats on your sander Bill! Nice to hear!

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Awesome, I really like mine so far; On a side note it really annoys me in the ROS sander review articles they never review this model only the cheapest Bosch model (~$40) and then pick the ridiculously expensive Festool as the winner, never considering this awesome sander which is cheaper than the Festool.

The current issue of FWW did exactly that but the $55 Craftsman got the best value prize. The Festool was the only dual motion sander in the mix but the comparison was 5″ sanders only. If 6″ were considered, the 1250DEVS would have to be a front runner, I’m sure.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 940 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.786 seconds