dcsimg

V-20 I GOT A BOX

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 940 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have both of them , I actually gave the laser measure to a friend

Did the laser measure not do what you want? I intend to use it as a quick rough measure too outdoors. Like how far from where I am standing to the wall, to the fence etc…and it’s super compact. However can’t do horizontal measures like table dimensions unless you put something to intercept.

One quick question if someone knows…these laser do they go through water? If I am standing at a dock, and point it down, am I measuring the distance to water level or distance beyond it? Does it depends on whether water is clear or murky?

Sounds like a fun science experiment – anyone have a bucket they want to fill with water and test it out? I’d try with calm and disturbed water to see if it makes any difference. I’d assume murky would be the same as a solid surface, but maybe that’s something to check too – there’s bound to be some sort of threshold if it works fine in clear water, some number of parts per million of dirt that make it opaque to the laser.

I just finished giving it a try , it’s our rinse agent so it’s just water with Cascade dishwasher soap.
    It actually gets a measure , but definitely nothing precise , mind you the water is slightly murky

Oh it’s a 80 us gallon drum , and filled with approximately 44 inches of water in height

Well there you go – so I guess it probably wouldn’t be great for anything in a lake or bay either.

I actually tried it out this afternoon. Stopped at a lake side property and from the edge of the dock I point the laser down, the water was probably 18″ below where I was standing, and it was giving me a —- reading. Now the water does have ripples so.

Next I did a test on glass. I was standing inside and pointed a glass window 4′ away. On the outside there is a palm tree about 5′ from the glass. As I point the laser measure to the palm tree, I was getting readings 4′ and 9′ flickering back and forth. So it’s doing both sorta? My recommendation is to not use it to measure depth of a lake or whatever. Despite that normal stuff I measure it works pretty good and I think it will be handy in many cases due to it’s small size.

On the other hand I tried the wall scanner to locate studs on a wall I already have the double thick rock lath opened on one side so I know where the studs are. It doesn’t seem to be able to tell the location of wood studs and metal conduits. May be I am using it wrong. Will read manual and retry later.

@Miamicuse yeah that’s the thing about the wall scanner , you definitely can’t be in a hurry
    I found you gotta go with slow and steady movements , I did get pretty good readings
    Like Charlie said , I don’t think I have ever had one that is working great all the time
    But in general , I have been happy with the Bosch one.

Doobie

Received my HS1969 two inch SDS-Max bushing head that I think was originally requested in June or July. It was on back-order although I think the original request was not acted upon but only done with a follow up request a few weeks ago to the new email address for redemptions direct to Brittany’s Bosch email address.

Thank you BTP and Brittany!

EDIT: Some pics added otherwise ‘it never happened’! Lol!

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

well well well I got a box from Bosch today.

It’s the GLM20 laser measure and the GMS120 wall scanner.

Thank you Bosch and Brittany!

give us a little report after using the gms120 for a while.
    looking forward what you think about it.
    online there are quite some mixed reviews about this laser.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

nice – glad to see you got it!

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

I actually went and bought it last year myself with 4 other different brand models from different manufacturers to test all of them side by side and returned the Bosch and kept a Zircon that was far better and seemed to not give false signals. So many of the sensors/finders out there are crap imo.

But congratz nonetheless Sami!

With that said, I have been tinkering with the idea of getting to D-Tec 150 wide radar detector. It has mixed reviews as well, although many say there is a learning curve in learning how to use it properly.

My primary aim is to maybe find my main waste drain under my basement floor’s slab so that I may tap into it to add a bathroom in our basement.

It can scan up to 6-8 inches into concrete apparently. Problem is, my plumber buddy who lives down a few streets over says his drain was around twelve inches below his slab when he went and added a bathroom in his basement, although he does say every house can be different with how deep it is.

While I’m really short on anything else on the prize list that interests me I don’t want to waste almost HAM in points for something that doesn’t serve me for what I want it for nor that I can really think of anything much else I’d ever use it for down the road.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Received my HS1969 two inch SDS-Max bushing head that I think was originally requested in June or July. It was on back-order although I think the original request was not acted upon but only done with a follow up request a few weeks ago to the new email address for redemptions direct to Brittany’s Bosch email address.

Congrats Kevin on recieving your box. That is nice to see!

Greg

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

@miamicuse yeah that’s the thing about the wall scanner , you definitely can’t be in a hurry
    I found you gotta go with slow and steady movements , I did get pretty good readings
    Like Charlie said , I don’t think I have ever had one that is working great all the time

well, I am afraid the GMS120 wall scanner is heading to a shelf. Now I am not saying it’s not a good tool, but my reason for trying it out is to look for wood studs behind walls, and the walls I run into ALL THE TIME is not your standard 1/2″ or 5/8″ sheet rock, but rock lath, which is 3/8″ gypsum base with a 3/8″ brown coat of plaster then a 1/8″ coat of eggshell plaster. This is a total of 7/8″ thick incredibly dense wall that to this date I haven’t come across a stud finder that work on it.

So I tested the wall scanner GMS120 on the other side of this wall, I know where the studs, electrical conduits are. I confused the heck out of the scanner and I wasn’t able to find anything.

A bit disappointed, yes, but I was asking it to do stuff that no other product can do so far. If it’s just regular sheet rock then no issue but that’s not what I run into most of the time. I need to recon these walls, cut into these walls and that’s a “major pain point” for me. Most buildings I run into built from the 1950s to 1980s in South Florida have these walls.

On the other hand, the laser measure is working and I am sure I will use it more and more.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

congrats on your box Kevin – seems like more and more are rolling in now.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Received my HS1969 two inch SDS-Max bushing head that I think was originally requested in June or July.

Congrats on your box Kevin, enjoy your new tools.

Kudos to BTP for following through on the order.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@miamicuse yeah that’s the thing about the wall scanner , you definitely can’t be in a hurry

well, I am afraid the GMS120 wall scanner is heading to a shelf. Now I am not saying it’s not a good tool, but my reason for trying it out is to look for wood studs behind walls, and the walls I run into ALL THE TIME is not your standard 1/2″ or 5/8″ sheet rock, but rock lath, which is 3/8″ gypsum base with a 3/8″ brown coat of plaster then a 1/8″ coat of eggshell plaster. This is a total of 7/8″ thick incredibly dense wall that to this date I haven’t come across a stud finder that work on it.

So I tested the wall scanner GMS120 on the other side of this wall, I know where the studs, electrical conduits are. I confused the heck out of the scanner and I wasn’t able to find anything.

A bit disappointed, yes, but I was asking it to do stuff that no other product can do so far. If it’s just regular sheet rock then no issue but that’s not what I run into most of the time. I need to recon these walls, cut into these walls and that’s a “major pain point” for me. Most buildings I run into built from the 1950s to 1980s in South Florida have these walls.

On the other hand, the laser measure is working and I am sure I will use it more and more.

I hear you on this – that’s exactly the problem I have at home and at work. That’s why I have thought about the DTect120 or 150 on the list – they’re meant for scanning into concrete, with scanning deaths that are much greater than the typical stud finders. But they’re also much higher price/ point point 🙂

I don’t trust stud finders much anymore anyway, even for regular sheet rocked walls, I’d much rather use a magnet and search for the screws i know will be imbedded in a stud – that method has yet to fail me, whereas I’ve been led astray by stud finders time and time again.

Charlie

Instagram

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Congrats on the box Doobie.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Congrats Kevin , that looks like it could do some serious damage.
    Is it bigger than the one you already have.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have been wondering if I will receive my box this week. It is great to see that the boxes rolling in. I also hope other members who have waiting to get there boxes too.

Greg

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have that stud finder and also have mixed reviews on it.. I have a cheapo I got from costco that works better.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I haven’t had any luck with stud finders on plaster either. Just happened yesterday trying to find studs for closet shelves. Had to use the hammer thump method and lots of liquid nail.

Oh, Congrats on your box Doobie !

Doobie

Congrats Kevin , that looks like it could do some serious damage.
    Is it bigger than the one you already have.

Yes it is bigger. The other one is a single piece unit with 16 little bushing point an inch and half width square head that retails for about $70. This one has 25 points on a two inch stand alone head that also requires a seperate shank accessory. The head alone is around $180 and the shank stem is another $40.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It looks like you need a bigger better scanner. The D-Tect150 will find everything in that wall.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

It looks like you need a bigger better scanner. The D-Tect150 will find everything in that wall.

Nice , I didn’t know you had that one DWB
    How are you liking it

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

D-Tect150

Pretty steep price. I wonder if the Walabot can do what I need.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 940 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.132 seconds