dcsimg

V-19.0 Toolaholic Public Announcement Page

Viewing 20 posts - 561 through 580 (of 1,002 total)
  • Author
    RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Recently picked up something that I have always wanted, but the cost was always the detriment. I got this for a steal of a price, and have some big plans for it during the upcoming kitchen remodeling.

I got the Leigh D4R 24″ jig used, and it is in pristine condition. With the money that I saved on the price of it new, I bought the VRS attachment, which virtually eliminates the dust while routing the dovetails.

Extremely happy with this find!!!

Very nice dovetail jig. Congrats.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Recently picked up something that I have always wanted, but the cost was always the detriment. I got this for a steal of a price, and have some big plans for it during the upcoming kitchen remodeling.

I got the Leigh D4R 24″ jig used, and it is in pristine condition. With the money that I saved on the price of it new, I bought the VRS attachment, which virtually eliminates the dust while routing the dovetails.

That is a really good score, Steve. Looking forward to your kitchen thread. I guess that will be after the shop is done?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

Sounds like you got a good deal. I haven’t used mine in many years. The setup is tricky. You also often have to use backer scraps to prevent tearout with some mediums being dovetailed. But dovetails are so nice it’s worth it.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Southwire sent me a pair of lineman pliers to test out.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

That looks great, congrats on the deal.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

New calipers! Its been a long time coming too…my old set didn’t register to zero as it should. Most of the time the measurement was miles from correct, which resulted in having to triple check the read out before I would trust it.

I couldn’t quite force myself to pull the trigger on a $350 pair of Mitutomo calipers, so this iGaging pair was what I went with.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

@geordie99, that jig is highly rated. We are all anxiously awaiting pictures of your new dovetailed drawers. 🙂 Have fun with it!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

New calipers! Its been a long time coming too…my old set didn’t register to zero as it should. Most of the time the measurement was miles from correct, which resulted in having to triple check the read out before I would trust it.

I couldn’t quite force myself to pull the trigger on a $350 pair of Mitutomo calipers, so this iGaging pair was what I went with.

They look beautiful,, i had no idea you did work like that…

Spot on @smallerstick – Once the shop is done, there is a TON of remodeling that I need to get to in here. It’s one of the reasons that I finally pulled the trigger on the shop build.

I’ve used this jig in the past and loved it. The results really are excellent, so will definitely incorporate it into the kitchen build.

That is a really good score, Steve. Looking forward to your kitchen thread. I guess that will be after the shop is done?

@jponto07 – Have you considered trying to find a set of Mitutoyo calipers used, say on Craigslist, or Ebay???? Sometimes, you find older machinists selling off their tools after they retire, and can come across some decent deals.

You do get what you pay for with precision measuring instruments like these. Mitutoyo are one of the brands that have built up a great reputation for quality over the years. You might also want to have a look for used Starrett, Moore and Wright, or Mercer brand – all good tools, which were made to last.

New calipers! It been a long time coming too…my old set didn’t register to zero as it should. Most of the time the measurement was miles from correct, which resulted in having to triple check the read out before I would trust it.

Found this one today on a local online garage sale website, and went and picked it up this evening……… $30, and he threw in 2 brand new blades with it.

Nice condition Triton TC12DBSMS 12″ Double Bevel Compound Sliding Miter Saw. Guy had just moved and had no room for it, so wanted rid of it. It had only been listed 10mins when I saw it, so for that price, it was a no-brainer. Runs well, and cuts very nicely. Pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of the laser guide.

It needs a good cleaning, as it looks like it hasn’t been used for a while, but really happy with this one. I can retire my 10″ Ryobi chop saw now, which has served me well.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I use them all the time…setting up tools, planing lumber, cutting dados, etc. No machining work, but I still find a lot of use for them. Perhaps I’m trying to be Too accurate, but I like the piece of mind.

@jponto07 – Have you considered trying to find a set of Mitutoyo calipers used, say on Craigslist, or Ebay???? Sometimes, you find older machinists selling off their tools after they retire, and can come across some decent deals.

You do get what you pay for with precision measuring instruments like these. Mitutoyo are one of the brands that have built up a great reputation for quality over the years. You might also want to have a look for used Starrett, Moore and Wright, or Mercer brand – all good tools, which were made to last.

New calipers! It been a long time coming too…my old set didn’t register to zero as it should. Most of the time the measurement was miles from correct, which resulted in having to triple check the read out before I would trust it.

I do check out the local Craigslist fairly often, but things of this nature don’t show up there. I opted for a $50 set of iGaging calipers instead of the high dollar version. My old ones were a cheaper model of the same brand. They were just fine until they suddenly weren’t .

This new pair remembers Zero without constant resetting….a huge bonus coming from a pair that did not do this!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

@jponto07 – Never really trusted the digital calipers, and that goes for digital dial indicators as well – even the Mitutoyo ones. I bought my old set of Mitutoyo dial calipers when I started my Toolmaker/Mouldmaker apprenticeship over 30yrs ago, and they are still dead balls accurate. I don’t like how the digital caliper readout fluctuates at the slightest movement. I guess I’m irrepairably old-school…

Sounds like you’re happy with the iGaging stuff, and if it serves you well, more power to you!!!! Enjoy your new calipers.

I use them all the time…setting up tools, planing lumber, cutting dados, etc. No machining work, but I still find a lot of use for them. Perhaps I’m trying to be Too accurate, but I like the piece of mind.

I do check out the local Craigslist fairly often, but things of this nature don’t show up there. I opted for a $50 set of iGaging calipers instead of the high dollar version. My old ones were a cheaper model of the same brand. They were just fine until they suddenly weren’t .

This new pair remembers Zero without constant resetting….a huge bonus coming from a pair that did not do this!

Clev08
    Pro

I’m with you, there is no way I could spend $350 on a pair. my $10 caliper is good enough for what I use it for and there are a thousand things i’d rather spend the extra $340 on.

Doobie

Found this one today on a local online garage sale website, and went and picked it up this evening……… $30, and he threw in 2 brand new blades with it.

Nice condition Triton TC12DBSMS 12″ Double Bevel Compound Sliding Miter Saw. Guy had just moved and had no room for it, so wanted rid of it. It had only been listed 10mins when I saw it, so for that price, it was a no-brainer. Runs well, and cuts very nicely. Pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of the laser guide.

It needs a good cleaning, as it looks like it hasn’t been used for a while, but really happy with this one. I can retire my 10″ Ryobi chop saw now, which has served me well.

OK. There’s gotta be acatch at that price. Does everything work OK? I never even knew that Triton sold a miter saw at all, never mind in NA. They have a poor customer service/parts availability here in NA.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Good deal for $30. Congrats, enjoy your new saw.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@jponto07 nice, congrats, we use calipers almost daily here in the shop,

Good deal for that one.

@geordie99
    wow, that’s a steel. Just the blades are worth more than the price you paid.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Most of the calipers/dial indicators/measuring equipment we used in making bearings were Mitutoyu. That says a lot. They are worth the price if you need the accuracy. The Mitutoyu are every bit as good as a Starrett. I picked up a set of Mitutoyu combo squares for $30 CDN at a yard sale last summer and the guy threw in a tiny Starrett engineers square.
    I have a cheap plastic dial caliper, and while it is good for some things, it does not have a lock on it and the plastic means it won’t scribe a line either. Keeping an eye out for a metal set. I prefer the dial type as I find the digital ones have the batteries die at the most inconvenient time.
    You ought to get good use out of that set though. Nice tool.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Hate to burst your bubble @Doobie, but there is nothing wrong at all with the miter saw. Was just in the right place at the right time, and he just wanted it gone.

If its any consolation, it needs a cleaning…….lol

OK. There’s gotta be acatch at that price. Does everything work OK? I never even knew that Triton sold a miter saw at all, never mind in NA. They have a poor customer service/parts availability here in NA.

Cheers @theamcguy – when I first saw the ad, I was really skeptical, which is what made me call him. When I found out his circumstances, and that he just needed it gone, I was on it like a fat kid on a smartie!!!

Good deal for $30. Congrats, enjoy your new saw.

@Boschmanbrian
    – you got that spot on. They were pretty nice Freud blades, brand new and still in the sealed packages.

@jponto07 nice, congrats, we use calipers almost daily here in the shop,

Good deal for that one.

@geordie99 wow, that’s a steel. Just the blades are worth more than the price you paid.

Viewing 20 posts - 561 through 580 (of 1,002 total)
  • The topic ‘V-19.0 Toolaholic Public Announcement Page’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.484 seconds