dcsimg

Utility Locate is Useless!

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

So, did it get all fixed today Jon?

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

They call that HydroVacing here. It is slick and supposed to be used when approching utilities.

After that hit I talked about earlier, the hydrovaced the area. They had about 300 feet of line out. I heard a matter the next day 4 hrs was 2,100$.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Repairing lines that are hit can get expensive. It seems the utility companies really know how to charge. That is the reason we use the vacuum system. they are only a little over a hundred bucks an hour and can get a lot done in an hour. It is cheap compared to hitting a line.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

That looks like a sweet set up. I wonder how many post holes they can do in a hour? I could see it being cost affective.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Repairing lines that are hit can get expensive. It seems the utility companies really know how to charge. That is the reason we use the vacuum system. they are only a little over a hundred bucks an hour and can get a lot done in an hour. It is cheap compared to hitting a line.

Wow that would be better than hitting a line, plus it would be faster than drilling them and maybe about the same price when you factor in a post hole driller.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

So, did it get all fixed today Jon?

Yes. The water line was repaired within a few hours. The cable line was taken care of the next morning…although the repair by failed to bury the line after splicing.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

So are you moving the fence? I imagine the original hole is unusable now?

--Steve

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Yes. It was actually a post hole for one of the two gates. When they repaired the water main, they dug quite a big hole. The soil is too unstable in that spot for a new hole unfortunately…Oh, and there’s a water line there too 😉

The HO called my partner yesterday and wanted to talk about some changes/additions. I don’t have the details yet, but it might effect where the original gate is going.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Doobie

Yes. It was actually a post hole for one of the two gates. When they repaired the water main, they dug quite a big hole. The soil is too unstable in that spot for a new hole unfortunately…Oh, and there’s a water line there too 😉

The HO called my partner yesterday and wanted to talk about some changes/additions. I don’t have the details yet, but it might effect where the original gate is going.

What about using a big foot type of footing for where the ground has been compromised?

http://www.bigfootsystems.com

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

What about using a big foot type of footing for where the ground has been compromised?

http://www.bigfootsystems.com

That would have been a good solution, but the new hole has already been drilled and the posts are set. Fortunately, we have a lot latitude on the exact location of the posts.

Jon P.
    Instagram

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

Wow, I just got myself caught up on this thread. What a mess! Hope it is getting better. The utility locate people here in Milwaukee are really good. Hope this teaches your guys a lesson

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Wow, I just got myself caught up on this thread. What a mess! Hope it is getting better. The utility locate people here in Milwaukee are really good. Hope this teaches your guys a lesson

Not sure what that lesson would be…we drilled in an area thought to be safe. It was 15 feet from nearest painted line!

Jon P.
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Not sure what that lesson would be…we drilled in an area thought to be safe. It was 15 feet from nearest painted line!

Perhaps it’ll teach the city guys a good lesson, know their info before marking.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Nah, it’s not like they’ll have to pay for the damage anyway.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

That would have been a good solution, but the new hole has already been drilled and the posts are set. Fortunately, we have a lot latitude on the exact location of the posts.

Jon,
    Good that you were able to continue on with the fence/gate build and not get too far behind with this project.

How much of the area below the break got washed away by the rushing water?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’d say 30′ or so. It was Very muddy in the area. The water and mud slide washed away a good portion of the gravel drive nearby and covered the grass. Fortunately, the utility guys brought in some gravel to try to repair the mess, but they didn’t bring nearly enough.

Jon P.
    Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Perhaps it’ll teach the city guys a good lesson, know their info before marking.

That’s the most annoying part…my new Keens and a brand new pair of Blakladers got all muddy too, but I can tolerate that 😉

These guys knew an additional line existed, but failed to mark it. Their excuse was that they thought it was in another area altogether….BUT, the path we were following with the fence and gates was clearly marked with a wide stripe of white paint….no idea why they failed to check those areas.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d say 30′ or so. It was Very muddy in the area. The water and mud slide washed away a good portion of the gravel drive nearby and covered the grass. Fortunately, the utility guys brought in some gravel to try to repair the mess, but they didn’t bring nearly enough.

I felt so sorry for you the other day. That was awful, but glad to hear it has gotten better on this project.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 2.051 seconds