dcsimg

Utility Locate is Useless!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

6″ is pretty big, after half an hour it must have been a lake out there.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

wow so 500 homes are going to be without water till they fix it. do they not note down or have a record of where everything is?

This was at about noon or so. They had it fixed by 3 pm actually, so most people were still at work and would have never missed the water.

They claim that they “thought” the line was 50 yards from where we were digging, but alas…. Also, the pipe was so old that their locating machine couldn’t detect it anyway! The part that pisses me off is that they knew it ran through the property and never said anything! It’s a water MAIN for Christ’s sake! How do they Lose something like that?

Question now I guess is who’s gonna pick up the tab?

That is a mess! Glad you aren’t responsible for it.

Saving grace for sure! I have little confidence in these guys. Aren’t they supposed to tell us where Not to dig? A 12′ auger with a 10hp Honda strapped onto it isn’t very delicate!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Just started a small fence and gate job and we hit a cable line… Completely unmarked!

Last year the city was installing a sewer system in my neighborhood. Three times they got my cable line and it was never marked. I kept telling them it’s right there be careful but they said no you’re wrong there are no markings there so we are good to go.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Just started a small fence and gate job and we hit a cable line… Completely unmarked!

Last year the city was installing a sewer system in my neighborhood. Three times they got my cable line and it was never marked. I kept telling them it’s right there be careful but they said no you’re wrong there are no markings there so we are good to go.

No surprise after the conversation I had with the cable locate guy today. He claimed that he “lost” the signal and assumed the trail he had been following just stopped….implying that the cable was abandoned and severed somewhere.
    Again, the water guys literally had no idea where the line was. No idea how it wasn’t plotted on a map 50 years ago when it was installed….

Jon P.
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man what a mess. could you shut the water off at the main valve?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

It is always a good idea to take pictures of your locates (or lack thereof) for proof in the event that you hit something. Photo’s do not lie.

That’s a good idea.
    I know the last time I had locate services done when I put in a fence, they hand drew on paper the measurement in relation to property lines where the utilities were.

Where I am i’s just gas, water and telephone lines that are buried. The mains are all on city property and do not run under any private property so if you did hit a water line around here it would only be the one feeding your home.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Man what a mess. could you shut the water off at the main valve?

I knew where the meter was, but couldn’t reach it. Because of the potential for freezing, they are commonly several feet below ground level. It requires a special tool on a 5′ extension to actually operate the valve.

6″ is pretty big, after half an hour it must have been a lake out there.

Thankfully this was at the top of a small hill and the water had someplace to go…but it was still pooling up to 6″ deep or so!

My new waterproof Keens kept my feet dry through the whole mess though!

Jon P.
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

The best part about it, is that it wasn’t your fault, and that you don’t have to pay for it. Will they compensate your time? perhaps the home owner for damage?

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I wish I could have seen your face when the gusher started! Better yet a video with sound! ha ha Glad everything worked out. Did you drill the rest of the holes and get the job done? We need pictures.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

50 year old line, I assume cast iron ?

This summer we were on this job and the horizontal boring folks hit a power and data cable. The guys repairing it said that was the 3rd hit on a 500 foot line.

Hench the invention of clamshell repair parts for conduit.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

If I am close to utilities for a fence or anything I call an electrician I know that has a Vax-u-vator. He grinds up everything with a powe rwasher and sucks it out of the hole with a 500 gallon shop vac, it will not harm utilities and makes all of the mess go away. In some cases it is faster and easier to have him dig the holes than to use an auger

Doobie

If I am close to utilities for a fence or anything I call an electrician I know that has a Vax-u-vator. He grinds up everything with a powe rwasher and sucks it out of the hole with a 500 gallon shop vac, it will not harm utilities and makes all of the mess go away. In some cases it is faster and easier to have him dig the holes than to use an auger

I tried Googling that, and get nothing but grain removal equipment. Sounds interesting.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Here is a photo of a Ditch Witch unit and a you-tube of excavation using air and water. Around here with all the clay, we typically use water. It is a great way to excavate when around utilities and even if you do not want to tear up a yard. they typically have a hundred feet of hose or more, sometimes 200.

Doobie

Here is a photo of a Ditch Witch unit and a you-tube of excavation using air and water. Around here with all the clay, we typically use water. It is a great way to excavate when around utilities and even if you do not want to tear up a yard. they typically have a hundred feet of hose or more, sometimes 200.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”578″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/rAP2J6pe4Bg?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I’m surprised they can even do that with high powered air. Water sure, but air alone?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

50 year old line, I assume cast iron ?

Plastic actually. It was a thin walled grey plastic…

If I am close to utilities for a fence or anything I call an electrician I know that has a Vax-u-vator.

We were well beyond any utility markings…so I had no reason to believe there might be an issue .

Jon P.
    Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Wow what a mess, at least they fixed it fast. At least the HO knows where to dig if he wants a new swimming pool now lol.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

So how do you fix the post hole?

--Steve

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Wow what a mess, at least they fixed it fast. At least the HO knows where to dig if he wants a new swimming pool now lol.

Free water too….it’s Before their meter!

Jon P.
    Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Free water too….it’s Before their meter!

Ha, that’s awesome, just dig a hole next to it and tap in. 😀

Very good thing it wasn’t a gas line though!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sounds like really good system almost like hydraulic mining.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.451 seconds