dcsimg

USERNAMES The Straight Dope!

Viewing 16 posts - 241 through 256 (of 256 total)
  • Author
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

lol gotta love the given nicknames.. god knows ive had several over the years , many of which came from my sports days. kirky.. kirkules… muskles,, overkirk

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Back in my teenagehood in 1980’s NYC graffiti art on train was a prominent youth culture before becoming a worldwide artform. There were numerous monikers before I landed upon the tag “Hangman” as my urban signature. Over 3 decades later it’s still the name of my studio Gothic Hangman.

Thanks for sharing with us alaways interesting to read how names come about .

I agree. Thanks!

Its even more interesting when a name still has meaning decades later. I ended up changing my BTP username after a couple of years on this site since it was about a decade out of date and was saying something about me that wasn’t accurate anymore –

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Back in my teenagehood in 1980’s NYC graffiti art on train was a prominent youth culture before becoming a worldwide artform. There were numerous monikers before I landed upon the tag “Hangman” as my urban signature. Over 3 decades later it’s still the name of my studio Gothic Hangman.

I agree. Thanks!

Its even more interesting when a name still has meaning decades later. I ended up changing my BTP username after a couple of years on this site since it was about a decade out of date and was saying something about me that wasn’t accurate anymore –

yah i agree with you, i would like to change my handle as this one was a gaming name i’ve used since a game that is like 20 years old and doesn’t even exist anymore.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I agree. Thanks!

yah i agree with you, i would like to change my handle as this one was a gaming name i’ve used since a game that is like 20 years old and doesn’t even exist anymore.

Very nice @hangman to share your story with us. I really do enjoy looking at grafitti/art.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Mine is simply the first login name I had on an online system 25 years ago. Nicknames are a whole different thing.

Will

CB
    Pro

CB is very impersonal. For me, CB actually reminds me of a disease a family member died by. For others it may remind them of the 70’s CB radios at best.

Wow. Is everyone’s user name subject to such critical analysis?

How about Construction Battalion, which is more apropos to the content, activity, and intent of this forum and the ostensible purpose of the members of it?

How about it is easier and quicker to log in with only two letters (that thankfully were not already taken)?

And, get this, how about the fact that it really is my name?

Prounounced exactly as you see it. C B. Or Sea Bee. Or see bee. In fact, I think I deserve my own name, as I’ve seen a lot of bees just a couple of days ago!

But I haven’t seen my mother in 41 years, and it didn’t occur to me to ask her, on her death bed, why she decided to name me CB instead of a “normal” name like Peter, Paul, or Mary… another mainstream cultural phenomena also popular in the 60’s and 70’s, along with the CB Radio, and smoking “doobies”.

That’s the straight “dope.”

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

@Doobie, @CB….before things get carried away – let’s keep it polite.

My username is pretty straightforward lol…Like Jeff mentioned, I have had a lot of nicknames too…nicknames seem to be common in the trades. Though some of the nicknames I have had are against BTP guidelines so I won’t post them up…lol

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Hangman
    Pro

Some of my art is on my instagram. Also some of my work projects, though I can’t post some things because of confidentiality agreements with companies I work with. There is actually a few more stories about by name, ultimately it’s how I’m most widely known professionally.

The master has failed more times than the disciple has ever tried.

Over 25 years experience from NYC

https://www.instagram.com/gothichangman/

@doobie, @cb….before things get carried away – let’s keep it polite.

My username is pretty straightforward lol…Like Jeff mentioned, I have had a lot of nicknames too…nicknames seem to be common in the trades. Though some of the nicknames I have had are against BTP guidelines so I won’t post them up…lol

Haha lol would definitely like to hear some of those Chad.

Mine is simple, when I joined here a few years ago, I couldn’t think of anything, so I just used the name of my favorite tools at the time and my name.

Back in the CB radio days (high Roller)
    And when I was younger, I was called crazy legs just because I was a pretty fast runner.
    But that’s definitely not the case anymore lol
    Plus I have tons more lol

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have use my name most of the time. I do have a few nicknames since I was a kid. Plus some people always called me by my last name. Plus if you use your name as username it easy to remember.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

USERNAMES The Straight Dope where it come from, how’d you pick it? I see some funky usernames. Lets hear it!

Who the heck is this DirtyWhiteBoy guy? DWB! (I’m diein’ to ask you about the name, but I’ll digress! )

OK here it comes— Out on the ewa plane on Oahu I- DWB and my parnter Tim were the new guys back in 2003 on the Gentry homes after about one month there they gave me two men and sent me down the road stacking trusses
    ,. The company was pumping out 2.5 houses a day, well Tim and I were the like the only white guys out there and this little guy 5’2″ or 3″ Hal you know the funny guy always had something funny to say but not to bright
    and he was like black but not African type
    he was Filipino some of them get very black in the sun
    anyway he coined us the Dirty White Boys and it has stuck Our little friend Hal had a hard time and took a shot of hot lead
    and is in a state of eternal rest RIP Hal I can here his voice every time I hit my nail puller, he always had something to shout out from the next or 2 over roof……….Well now you know.

Bumb,,,,,

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

CB is very impersonal. For me, CB actually reminds me of a disease a family member died by. For others it may remind them of the 70’s CB radios at best.

Wow. Is everyone’s user name subject to such critical analysis?

How about Construction Battalion, which is more apropos to the content, activity, and intent of this forum and the ostensible purpose of the members of it?

How about it is easier and quicker to log in with only two letters (that thankfully were not already taken)?

And, get this, how about the fact that it really is my name?

Prounounced exactly as you see it. C B. Or Sea Bee. Or see bee. In fact, I think I deserve my own name, as I’ve seen a lot of bees just a couple of days ago!

But I haven’t seen my mother in 41 years, and it didn’t occur to me to ask her, on her death bed, why she decided to name me CB instead of a “normal” name like Peter, Paul, or Mary… another mainstream cultural phenomena also popular in the 60’s and 70’s, along with the CB Radio, and smoking “doobies”.

That’s the straight “dope.”

Just a reminder of what happened here 2 1/2 years ago. This exchange should give us some insight into our current disagreements.

There clearly is history.

@dirtywhiteboy

@cb

@doobie

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Mine is pretty simple but many cant figure it out.
    Ron in ohio . Works for me!

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

And works well. 😎

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Can’t beat keeping it simple.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Way back in the dark ages of this site, we had screen names and user names. The user name was not seen so I used My Email for that. My screen name was KurtW.

At one point they did away with screen names and went to our user names which was my email. I asked to have it changed, but was told it could not be changed. I believe someone has had that done since and should check on the possibility. I would rather not use my email.

Viewing 16 posts - 241 through 256 (of 256 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.951 seconds