dcsimg

USERNAMES The Straight Dope!

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 256 total)
  • Author
    WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Mines just my company name, and my company name is just my last name with what I do added on the end. I’m not the most original person out there.

woodman_412

Mines just my company name, and my company name is just my last name with what I do added on the end. I’m not the most original person out there.

Sometimes simple is best though. There are sometimes when I think I should have gone with my own name in my company name to make it more personal to people.

Dan

danpattison.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Sometimes simple is best though. There are sometimes when I think I should have gone with my own name in my company name to make it more personal to people.

I think your face really puts a personal touch to your account.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

My last name is Fidler, and I teach school in addition to working on houses/woodwork, and the students (the ones I like, anyway) call me Mr. Fid. So there you go. It’s also my username on Lumberjocks.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

My last name is Fidler, and I teach school in addition to working on houses/woodwork, and the students (the ones I like, anyway) call me Mr. Fid. So there you go. It’s also my username on Lumberjocks.

Thanks for teaching the kids..

Dirty

PerfectStud
    Pro
    Coralville, IA

@dirtywhiteboy thanks for directing me to the thread.

The origin to mine is a nick name one of the other techs gave me after helping me pull lumber for a deck project. Said I was taking to long. He’s a mechanical guy and had no idea you needed to make sure they were good for what you were going to use them for.

Any who, he mentioned giving me grief about in a moning meeting and as usual it caught on immediately and has stuck for quite a while now.

At least I got the rest of the techs to call him munchkin now as he’s vertically challenged.

Clev08
    Pro

The origin to mine is a nick name one of the other techs gave me after helping me pull lumber for a deck project. Said I was taking to long. He’s a mechanical guy and had no idea you needed to make sure they were good for what you were going to use them for.

Any who, he mentioned giving me grief about in a moning meeting and as usual it caught on immediately and has stuck for quite a while now.

At least I got the rest of the techs to call him munchkin now as he’s vertically challenged.

Haha, I’d say you won that one! I want to school with a very short kid and we put a bumper sticker on his car that said “I’m not short, I’m fun sized” lol

Doobie

Mine’s just a take-off of my last name. Started in high school.

I used to have a boss many years ago who would embarass himself in front of everybody repeatedly saying “Doo-bee…..or not to be”. It was funny at first and I really didn’t mind as he was a good boss, but he would just never stop.

I even had spoken to him many years after that job, and he couldn’t help say it again to me. Sad when you don’t know when to stop like that.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Das great,, Handles we earned or were given are some of the best…………….. Munchkin

Dirty

Doobie

Yep. Boooooring!

Sorry, but imaginative names on forums are worth way more than those used for the general public. FWIW. 🙂

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The origin to mine is a nick name one of the other techs gave me after helping me pull lumber for a deck project.

Interesting story to go with your Username.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Haha I say like @Clev08 said looks like you won lol
    Great story, thanks for sharing

@MrFid Good story, sounds like you have fun teaching,

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Das great,, Handles we earned or were given are some of the best…………….. Munchkin

Yes they are.

And the right emoji help’s too. lol

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Haha I say like @clev08 said looks like you won lol
    Great story, thanks for sharing

@mrfid Good story, sounds like you have fun teaching,

@Boschmanbrian yeah it’s a good gig. I enjoy teaching a lot, and am lucky to work at a school where I am given as much freedom in teaching as I could hope for. I do love summer, though. Can finally get some stuff done around here! We are very close; next Tuesday is our last day.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man we’ve had a lot of new members join from the last time this thread was active?????

USERNAMES The Straight Dope where it come from, how’d you pick it? I see some funky usernames. Lets hear it!

Who the heck is this DirtyWhiteBoy guy? DWB! (I’m diein’ to ask you about the name, but I’ll digress! )

OK here it comes— Out on the ewa plane on Oahu I- DWB and my parnter Tim were the new guys back in 2003 on the Gentry homes after about one month there they gave me two men and sent me down the road stacking trusses
    ,. The company was pumping out 2.5 houses a day, well Tim and I were the like the only white guys out there and this little guy 5’2″ or 3″ Hal you know the funny guy always had something funny to say but not to bright
    and he was like black but not African type
    he was Filipino some of them get very black in the sun
    anyway he coined us the Dirty White Boys and it has stuck Our little friend Hal had a hard time and took a shot of hot lead
    and is in a state of eternal rest RIP Hal I can here his voice every time I hit my nail puller, he always had something to shout out from the next or 2 over roof……….Well now you know.

Dirty

Man we’ve had a lot of new members join from the last time this thread was active?????

USERNAMES The Straight Dope where it come from, how’d you pick it? I see some funky usernames. Lets hear it!

Who the heck is this DirtyWhiteBoy guy? DWB! (I’m diein’ to ask you about the name, but I’ll digress! )

OK here it comes— Out on the ewa plane on Oahu I- DWB and my parnter Tim were the new guys back in 2003 on the Gentry homes after about one month there they gave me two men and sent me down the road stacking trusses
    ,. The company was pumping out 2.5 houses a day, well Tim and I were the like the only white guys out there and this little guy 5’2″ or 3″ Hal you know the funny guy always had something funny to say but not to bright
    anyway he coined us the Dirty White Boys and it has stuck Our little friend Hal had a hard time and took a shot of hot lead
    and is in a state of eternal rest RIP Hal I can here his voice every time I hit my nail puller, he always had something to shout out from the next or 2 over roof……….Well now you know.

Nicknames given by others are always the most earned. Even the insulting ones usually are a form of respect.

I kind of wish I could change my user name – the paramedic aspect of my life is in my past, but it was still attached to most of my online profiles when I signed up.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Mine started in late 2003 or 2004. First name is Howard and around out area (maybe even in he mid west region) there use to be motels called Howard Johnson or some people abbreviated it to HoJo’s and a buddy of mine (since the first is Howard) started to call me HoJo and it stuck with me ever since.

Doobie

I always liked the “Dirty White Boy” handle since I joined here years ago, but initially mainly because I really enjoyed the song of the same title by the band Foreigner.

But also because of this response which made it all make sense as to where the Dirty White Boy name came from.

Dirty is in my opinion one of the most valued contributors on this site EVER!

Let’s not forget who the old guard here is, where they come from, what they’ve done for us, and where they can bring us with their knowledge and wisdom.

Hangman
    Pro

Back in my teenagehood in 1980’s NYC graffiti art on train was a prominent youth culture before becoming a worldwide artform. There were numerous monikers before I landed upon the tag “Hangman” as my urban signature. Over 3 decades later it’s still the name of my studio Gothic Hangman.

The master has failed more times than the disciple has ever tried.

Over 25 years experience from NYC

https://www.instagram.com/gothichangman/

Back in my teenagehood in 1980’s NYC graffiti art on train was a prominent youth culture before becoming a worldwide artform. There were numerous monikers before I landed upon the tag “Hangman” as my urban signature. Over 3 decades later it’s still the name of my studio Gothic Hangman.

Thanks for sharing with us alaways interesting to read how names come about .

Always willing to learn .

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 256 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.679 seconds