dcsimg

Upgrading My Work Bench

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve decided to do a few mods on mine. I’d like to eventually add sliding shelves for L-boxes but first priority is I’m going to equip it with on-board air, My air tools all have a 6-8′ smaller hose pigtail airline on them that I connect to a big hose from an overhead reel. It’s turned into a PITA when using two or more nailers and/or a blow gun etc at the same time, I’m having to constantly disconnect/reconnect each one from the single outlet main hose that’s laying on the floor, Plus I’m finding myself stepping/tripping over all of it as I circle the bench.

So after discussing Pex for airline the other day on a thread I went out and bought some with fittings and I’m going to make a manifold type thing with 4 quick connects all around the bench, And simply plug in the main supply hose from the reel at one corner to feed them all.

I’ve decided to do a few mods on mine. I’d like to eventually add sliding shelves for L-boxes but first priority is I’m going to equip it with on-board air, My air tools all have a 6-8′ smaller hose pigtail airline on them that I connect to a big hose from an overhead reel. It’s turned into a PITA when using two or more nailers and/or a blow gun etc at the same time, I’m having to constantly disconnect/reconnect each one from the single outlet main hose that’s laying on the floor, Plus I’m finding myself stepping/tripping over all of it as I circle the bench.

So after discussing Pex for airline the other day on a thread I went out and bought some with fittings and I’m going to make a manifold type thing with 4 quick connects all around the bench, And simply plug in the main supply hose from the reel at one corner to feed them all.

Awesome Boyd! Can’t wait for the project pics. Which PEX type did you get? Also, did you have the tools or did you have to buy them?

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I want to build a few benches too just as soon as it warms up a bit . Looking forward to seeing what you come up with . I might have to steal a few ideas 🙂

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sounds like a good idea. Interested to see how this all works out.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Boyd, these are those rockler castors:

http://www.rockler.com/workbench-caster-kit-4-pack

I have been REALLY impressed with them. I am going to guess my bench loaded up is 500lbs + and I can roll the bench around no problem. There is a lot of tension on the lift mechanism. For both engaging and disengaging.

I might add another set.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Awesome Boyd! Can’t wait for the project pics. Which PEX type did you get? Also, did you have the tools or did you have to buy them?

Ummm…..I don’t know which Pex I got, It’s white does that help LOL? The only tool I needed is the crimper and luckily a buddy had one that I borrowed. Otherwise I probably wouldn’t have used Pex, My first thought was galvanized pipe but it’s not cheap and limited compared to using Pex since I don’t have a pipe threader that size. I would have went with copper pipe and simply sweat soldered the joints

I want to build a few benches too just as soon as it warms up a bit . Looking forward to seeing what you come up with . I might have to steal a few ideas :-)

Well this is all yer fault ya know LOL, I find myself circling the bench building your birdhouses 🙂 . And the bench is too big to be spinning it around,

I found these neat fittings that should make the job fairly easy, They’re called ‘drop ear 90’s’ or something like that. I’m going to simply screw them up to the underside of the bench near the edge for the quick connects to screw into, I might add a 45* to them rather than having the quick connects point straight down though. I didn’t want them to stick straight out cuz the hose would too, This way they’ll be pointing down and out of the way to walk around….In theory 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Boyd, these are those rockler castors:

http://www.rockler.com/workbench-caster-kit-4-pack

I have been REALLY impressed with them. I am going to guess my bench loaded up is 500lbs + and I can roll the bench around no problem. There is a lot of tension on the lift mechanism. For both engaging and disengaging.

I might add another set.

Cool Thanks for the link, They’re a bit spendy though dang it. But I like em

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The pex will make it easy to run, just cut and crimp. The crimper is what is expensive. I know what you mean about tripping over hoses, it is way I have gone cordless. If I need air tools at the bench I have an overhead reel but a setup like your using whip hoses will be nice. Looking forward to following this along.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@Dabbs, get on the Rockler mailing list if you are not already. They go on sale on occasion. Are you talking about something like this at your work bench?

staker
    Pro

For your wheels I would check the used market, I bought 4 in the fall for 35 bucks with shipping.

first priority is I’m going to equip it with on-board air,

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with @dabbs! Sounds like it will one of those things you will look back on and will never know how you lived without it before it.

John S

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@Dabbs, get on the Rockler mailing list if you are not already. They go on sale on occasion. Are you talking about something like this at your work bench?

Those manifolds are nice but they require you to use their connectors. Nice if you are starting out though. You can buy 1/4″ manifolds with out the connectors though and then add you own connectors. Lots of solutions to the too many air hose around the bench problem. What is interesting about Dabbs’ solution is the use of Pex.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

@dabbs can you post up a picture of your current whips? Are you going to hardline these tools or still have a quick connector on them.

Any one use those really nice high end, soft push QC?

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I use to have one of these manifolds mounted in my Jeep, they work great. Dabbs, if you are wondering which direction you want the manifolds or quick connects to go, why not look into the swivel connectors?

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

multi outlet manifolds are good, but the swivel connectors are very prone to having the seals wear out much quicker. my rigid framing gun and old 23 gauge micro pinner had them.. i think they lasted 6 months

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

multi outlet manifolds are good, but the swivel connectors are very prone to having the seals wear out much quicker. my rigid framing gun and old 23 gauge micro pinner had them.. i think they lasted 6 months

Worn out seals and leaky hoses drives me nuts!! That hissing air all day makes my go loony!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Worn out seals and leaky hoses drives me nuts!! That hissing air all day makes my go loony!

Sometimes leaky seals can be cured temporarily with a shot of WD-40 in the quick adapter until you can get to the store and replace. I agree that hissing drives ya nuts not to mention the extra run time on the compressor.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I am the same way , I have a few like that now and today looks like a good time to fix them .

Anonymous
    Inactive

I looked at the Pex closer and other than a bunch of numbers that don’t mean anything to me the important part says it’s rated at 160psi @73*f / 100psi @180*f. I was a little surprised it wasn’t higher but I think it’s ok, I averaged it down for my top capacity of 135psi and according to my math that’s good up to 118*f. At 100*f it’s 145psi, Not exactly the margin I’d like but it’ll do

I probably should have put a couple of those at the end of the runs rather than just a single, I still can

Anonymous
    Inactive

@dabbs can you post up a picture of your current whips? Are you going to hardline these tools or still have a quick connector on them.

Any one use those really nice high end, soft push QC?

By whips I assume you mean the pigtails on the tools? Here ya go…..And no I’m not going to hardline them in, I’d still like to have the option of using them with the 75′ of hose on the reel like in case I need/want to go outside or take them with me somewhere

I use to have one of these manifolds mounted in my Jeep, they work great. Dabbs, if you are wondering which direction you want the manifolds or quick connects to go, why not look into the swivel connectors?

I hadn’t thought of a swivel between the drop ear fitting and the quick connect, I think I like that idea. Hmmmm

EDIT; Oooops, Forgot the pigtail pic 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.109 seconds