dcsimg

Undercut commercial metal door

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Just curious has anybody ever used a metal cutting saw with a carbide tip blade to cut a metal door? I have like 30 doors I need to remove half inch from the bottom reinsert you Channel and tack weld.
    I’ve never used the metal cutting saw your feedback please

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Are you looking for corded or cordless? I guess that’s the first question

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would think either the corded or cordless metal cutting saw would work fine to trim down a hollow metal door. at an inch and three quarter, you may want the depth of the corded version.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

A table saw will do it too.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Not sure I would want all that metal fling in my face.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Not sure I would want all that metal fling in my face.

Wouldn’t want to risk lighting up any sawdust either.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Almost all the doors that I cut I used a table saw. Wood or steel. Entry doors, side doors. For a few I used a circular saw. Yesterday I cut 4 oak doors with a circular saw, a solid aluminum straight edge and 2 clamps.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Almost all the doors that I cut I used a table saw. Wood or steel. Entry doors, side doors. For a few I used a circular saw. Yesterday I cut 4 oak doors with a circular saw, a solid aluminum straight edge and 2 clamps.

There is a big difference in a steel commercial door and the doors found in homes.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Steel commercial doors are typically 12 or 16 Ga doors, the steel entry door is about 24 gauge which is a big defference

I definitely would use a dedicated circular saw with the proper blade, especially for 30 doors, and if they are Comercial they are thicker steel.
    We use to cut 1 and a half inch wood slabs plated with steel on both sides,
    And about 9 to 12 foot lengths,
    Watch out for those flying chips,
    We also used cutting wax.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ive just used a standard circ saw, make sure to either buy a metal cutting blade or a sharp carbide blade

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Steel commercial doors are typically 12 or 16 Ga doors, the steel entry door is about 24 gauge which is a big defference

You’re right.
    Huge difference in thickness.
    Circular saw with a dedicated blade. Move slowly.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

If you have a regular need for this type of cutting I can highly recommend the Skil Metal Cutting circular saw I received one to demo and can say I was impressed with the saw. the chip catcher is great so you do not have flying shrapnel. It also moves fairly fast through material.

I have used my skill saw with a diablo ferrous metal blade with good results. Never on 30 doors though

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I can highly recommend the Skil Metal Cutting circular saw I received one to demo and can say I was impressed with the saw. the chip catcher is great so you do not have flying shrapnel. It also moves fairly fast through material.

I think the Skil Metal cutting saw with a proper blade would be the way to go. The chip catcher will really come in handy.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I can highly recommend the Skil Metal Cutting circular saw I received one to demo and can say I was impressed with the saw. the chip catcher is great so you do not have flying shrapnel. It also moves fairly fast through material.

I think the Skil Metal cutting saw with a proper blade would be the way to go. The chip catcher will really come in handy.

Agreed. Run it against a clamped down edge and get a perfect line

After reading the posts it hit me that the face shield I use for turning on the lathe would be a good safety item when doing this. Here’s a pic.

Attachments:
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

safety glasses or a face shield would be a must, the Skil Metal cutting circular saw catches chips so well, Safety glasses would be about all that is necessary.

safety glasses or a face shield would be a must, the Skil Metal cutting circular saw catches chips so well, Safety glasses would be about all that is necessary.

I have seen and heard great results from that saw,
    Wish we had them 20 years ago, we used a regular Milwaukee saw with a good blade, and wore all sorts of safety equipment, even then we still got little burns from the metal chips

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

here is a thread on the saw. I have used mine quite a bit and have been really pleased. I will probably try the Bosch cordless version in the near future

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/review-bosch-csm180-metal-cutting-circular-saw/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.439 seconds