dcsimg

Ultra-light miter saw?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

I recently replaced my older Porter Cable 12″ single bevel miter saw with the Bosch 4310 10″ dual-bevel slider, and am extremely happy with it. This saw will handle anything I may want to do, but is overkill for a lot of my smaller jobs. There are plenty of times where I am just chopping 1×2’s or 2×4’s at 90 degrees, but a miter saw is faster and more precise than using a circular saw.

I went with the 4310 as it isn’t a back breaker at 57 lbs, but it would be nice to have a 7 1/4″ or 8 1/2″ ultra light chop saw for basic work. I’ve seen the CM8S, and debated getting it for awhile, but it still takes up a decent amount of room in the truck, it is $450 which isn’t pennies, and I don’t need its sliding/bevel capabilities on my small jobs.

It seems all of the ultralight saws are made by less than stellar brands unfortunately, like Kobalt, Craftsman, and Ryobi. I just don’t trust them to hold a zero and last a long time, but I like the 20 lb weights and sub-$200 prices.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-9-Amp-7-1-4-in-Compound-Miter-Saw-with-Laser-TS1143L/205448390

I wish Bosch would come out with something similar, I’ve seen their older cordless miter saws, but they use the Ni-Cad batteries which I don’t use. Something that was 18v Lithium-Ion with a 120v corded adapter would be ideal, but one or the other would be fine too. I’m even debating hacking up one of my CCS180’s, but I don’t think the handle/trigger angle would be comfortable when it is raised up.

I think the light weight saws are coming for brand models . Just trying to design them with out losing quality .

Always willing to learn .

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Have you checked out some of the cordless versions from other brands?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Have you ever given thought if it is simple 1 by 2’s you could go japanese handsaw for the lightness and it cuts through pretty fast, unless you have more than 20 to do.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I think the light weight saws are coming for brand models . Just trying to design them with out losing quality .

I have a 30yr old Craftsman that is light but every couple of years I have to true the fence to the blade. I can carry that around all day, not like my GCM12SD that weighs in at 64 lbs and without a proper handle for carrying it is awkward.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I would much rather use the larger saws even if they are much heavier . Having a good mitre saw stand with wheels helps a lot too .
    That Ryobi saw looks like a toy to me 🙂

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I have a Hitachi 10″ miter saw for simple cuts like that – non slider, single bevel – just a basic saw. I agree with on wanting a light, compact saw for stuff like that and I have looked at some of the cheaper saws but just do not care for the quality. I would rather spend a little more and a get a decent saw.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’d look for a 10″ SCMS. Nothing fancy, just a chop saw. They tend to weigh much less than sliders regardless of the size.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

I’ve seen the DeWalt cordless slider, but I use Bosch 18v and 12v batteries and don’t want to add another battery/charger system, and I think it is around $400, at which point I would just buy the CM8S. I don’t really need cordless capability, but I would take either it or corded.

I’m not really interested in a hand saw as the idea is to make my work flow more efficient, and by making it easy to carry and pull out a miter saw for a few cuts, rather than only when I really need it. I also do a lot of very thin shaving cuts when I’m building face frames for shelves and cabinets. It’s not a big deal to use the saw I have all of the time, I’m basically just looking for a lighter, simpler option, sort of like the 12v/18v drills and impacts.

Ridged makes a 10″ dual bevel non-slider that is 32 lbs and $200, it is the best option I’ve seen so far, but not really quite what I want. A 10″ non-slider doesn’t have a ton more useable capacity for this use than a 7 1/4″ or 8 1/2″ saw, they will all cut a 2×4.

I’m willing to pay for quality, I just don’t really want the extra expense, complication, and weight from features I won’t use on a untralight saw. I’d honestly be happy with just the head from a CM8S mounted to a lightweight chop saw base, with no bevel capability and a table that had miter detents at 0 and 45. Unfortunately it is cost prohibitive to order all of the parts for the head individually.

cranbrook2
    Pro

Bosch has a 8 1/4″ mitre saw , it looks pretty light and mobile .

Bosch has a 8 1/4″ mitre saw , it looks pretty light and mobile .

I know they have the Cms8 8 1/2 inch
    That some members here have,

Anonymous
    Inactive

That Ryobi saw looks like a toy to me 🙂

Agreed. What the heck can you expect from an $89 miter saw, not to mention that it’s Ryobi.

woodman_412

I am a huge fan of the Bosch CM8S. I ended up selling my 12″ Makita after I had to Bosch for a bit and I have no regrets. It is easy to carry with one hand and fits nicely in the back of my car which is what I use for most jobs to carry my tools now. I have it set up with the PortaMate stand which makes a nice combo and the dust extraction is really good when hooked up to the Bosch vac. I was using it the other day for cutting all the wainscoting to length on my last job. I like the saw more every job I do with it, super accurate and easy to move.

Dan

danpattison.com

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I am a huge fan of the Bosch CM8S. I ended up selling my 12″ Makita after I had to Bosch for a bit and I have no regrets. It is easy to carry with one hand and fits nicely in the back of my car which is what I use for most jobs to carry my tools now. I have it set up with the PortaMate stand which makes a nice combo and the dust extraction is really good when hooked up to the Bosch vac. I was using it the other day for cutting all the wainscoting to length on my last job. I like the saw more every job I do with it, super accurate and easy to move.

i wasn’t aware they had an 8 inch single bevel, i may have too look into this a bit more. Now that i get more people asking for different things they want me to do and i usually just truck out the tracksaw btu aligning and making multiple small cuts, this might be the key.

woodman_412

i wasn’t aware they had an 8 inch single bevel, i may have too look into this a bit more. Now that i get more people asking for different things they want me to do and i usually just truck out the tracksaw btu aligning and making multiple small cuts, this might be the key.

If you get the CM8S I would highly recommend upgrading to the Freud 60 tooth blade. It gives a really nice cut and is a much nicer blade than the stock blade.

Dan

danpattison.com

cranbrook2
    Pro

Its a nice saw to have especially if you are always moving job to job and if you are always climbing stairs . It sure beats lugging a big one around .

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

If you get the CM8S I would highly recommend upgrading to the Freud 60 tooth blade. It gives a really nice cut and is a much nicer blade than the stock blade.

Generally i upgrade all the blades on all machines. I usually dump out the stock blade and keep on hand just in case i ever use it and buy all brand new blades for it.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Generally i upgrade all the blades on all machines. I usually dump out the stock blade and keep on hand just in case i ever use it and buy all brand new blades for it.

It’s rare that a stock blade is actually any good. I swap them out and keep them for making cuts that will likely damage the blade…like cutting reclaimed wood that probably has nails in it.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

It’s rare that a stock blade is actually any good. I swap them out and keep them for making cuts that will likely damage the blade…like cutting reclaimed wood that probably has nails in it.

The only blade I can think of that came with a machine that I didn’t need to upgrade was for my Kapex.

I remember when I got my Unisaw 15 years ago. It came with a Delta blade and coupons for two free sharpenings. I used the coupon once until I was told that the blade is what was lousy and became dull so fast. Never used the second coupon. The re-sharpening was even done thru FS Tools, which make amazing blades and are excellent for re-sharpening services. It’s just the blade was cheap crap.

woodman_412

The only saw that I’ve kept the stock blade on and actually bought a second one is my Makita track saw. It cuts really well and is well made.

I actually haven’t tried the stock blade on the CM8S yet. I read that it wasn’t much good before I bought the saw so I ordered the Freud blade with the saw and swapped it out before I made the first cut. I can tell by looking at the stock blade that it isn’t a high quality blade. I’m keeping it for cutting dimensional lumber etc. and use the Freud for finish work which is most of what I do with the saw.

Dan

danpattison.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.333 seconds