dcsimg

Ugly Reason to gut an apartment!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Hi all,

I’m returning from my hiatus to a nightmare of a job.

Of the 26 apartments I manage, I’ve been in all of them at one time or another to repair or remodel. However, the one I’m currently working on is the absolute worst I’ve seen.

I had to gut the entire apartment of all flooring, cabinetry and toilets. Plus, I have to strip the bottom 7 inches of drywall in the bathrooms and kitchen. All of this because of cockroaches.

This apartment was considered the most beautiful one for many years – until the last tenant. She never cleaned, or so it seems. It’s costing about $10,000.00 just to replace cabinetry, flooring and toilets, plus cleaning and painting the walls and ceilings.

I had no idea of just how much damage cockroaches could do. I’ve seen bad situations here, but nothing like this.

Wish me luck on this ugly remodel!!

Pat

Pat

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The owner doesn’t have the units on a pest spraying program? Here it is mandatory.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Hi all,

I’m returning from my hiatus to a nightmare of a job.

Of the 26 apartments I manage, I’ve been in all of them at one time or another to repair or remodel. However, the one I’m currently working on is the absolute worst I’ve seen.

I had to gut the entire apartment of all flooring, cabinetry and toilets. Plus, I have to strip the bottom 7 inches of drywall in the bathrooms and kitchen. All of this because of cockroaches.

This apartment was considered the most beautiful one for many years – until the last tenant. She never cleaned, or so it seems. It’s costing about $10,000.00 just to replace cabinetry, flooring and toilets, plus cleaning and painting the walls and ceilings.

I had no idea of just how much damage cockroaches could do. I’ve seen bad situations here, but nothing like this.

Wish me luck on this ugly remodel!!

Pat

Welcome back DD, been a while. Sounds like you’ll be busy with that unit.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Sure sounds like a mess. With lots to do, but I’m sure you got this.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Not the kind of Christmas present anyone would want. Good luck with the work. Sorry you have to do it.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

That sounds awful . Bet your ready for a good shower when you leave there.
    We get some pretty nasty houses to redo as well.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

We need pictures. We want to see how it progresses and gets brought back to it’s former glory.

Sad what some people do to other peoples belongings. Good luck with the work.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

One cannot expect a tenant to care about your properties. It’s not their property and tenants view it as a transient thing. Just like tourists don’t think twice about bumping their suit cases at against walls or doors, or tracking mud/dirt/snow right onto the carpet.

I used to have tenants who would insist on changing their central AC filters. I gave them 12 filters when they move in and showed them how to do it. Every month I send them a reminder to change filters. One of them, after they moved out, I noticed 11 new filters untouched. Hmm…the existing filter was not in its slot though…why? Because it was so disintegrated it got sucked into the inverted V shape of the coil. It literally “binded” with the coil😱😱😱. Now I change filter myself and inspect monthly same time.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

that sure sounds like a lot of work – good luck and post some pictures

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

@DWB: I put the property on a regular pest control program, unlike any other property in the valley. All of the apartments – in every single room – get sprayed every month. And, we also do all of the exterior of the property. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to have such a pest problem.

The only reason this apartment is so infested is because the woman who lived there never cleaned the apartment. The stove was only a couple of years old when she moved in. I had to throw it away because it was so badly encrusted with food, dead roach bodies and grease inside and out. Even the dishwasher had to be thrown out because of filth and roaches. The walls are full of roaches. I had the apartment professionally sprayed twice since she moved and the roaches keep coming out. There are only a couple coming out now, but I’m tearing out the base of the walls to get to them. I’m also putting holes in the walls to treat them inside.

She is a very dirty person. I had to evict her because of some damage to walls, but I never knew about the roaches.

@Miamicuse
    : Every month when the tenants pay rent I hand them new a/c filters. I’ve also found ‘extra’ filters in some apartments. I had also changed the return grilles to filter return grills – ones that they simply click 2 buttons and drop the hinged grille down to replace the filters. The original grilles were screw-in and were very difficult for anyone to change the filters. Now there’s no excuse for not changing the filters.
    Another note: The filter grilles are very easy to clean. Just wash them off with dish soap. This woman never cleaned the grille. It’s so dirty that I have to buy a replacement. It’s impossible to clean, the dirt is literally glued tight to the fins.

Most of my tenants are very clean. It’s only 3 who are problems. I’ve given them eviction notices, too. The only way they can avoid eviction is to pass a thorough inspection after Christmas.

Also, I’m removing carpeting in the downstairs apartments. I’m installing LVP instead. I had installed it in my apartment and the owner loves it. She wants it in all of the apartments. The tenants love it too.

Pat

Doobie

Sounds like it needs to be bombed. Is that possible with apartments? I’ve seen houses get bubbled and bombed to get rid of the pests. The problem with apartments is you do one unit, they just run into adjacent units and come right back once the fumes clear.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Absolutely crazy that tenants will let things deteriorate to that point. Granted it is not their property – but still, to be living in that mess daily. Sheesh….

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Regardless of who owns the place where I live, I prefer to live clean.
    I cannot even imagine how anyone can live in a dirty home. Especially as dirty as this apartment is (was).
    I gave an eviction notice to the upstairs apartment but I canceled it once I saw how many roaches there were in the downstairs apartment. I told the upstairs people that I’m going to work with them to eradicate all pests. They should never have had any pests, but this is an exceptional case.

I’m getting waking nightmares now. Every time I enter a room and see a shadow, I look twice to make sure I’m not seeing something move. It’s ugly. I’ll get photos – if you guys can stand seeing them. I will post photos of the remodel. It’s gonna be nice.

Pat

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Vertical blind header rail with 2 happy roaches visible. You can see the filth on the header rail. Roaches dropped on me when I removed this. They were inside as well as on top of the header rail.

Pat

Doobie

I’m getting waking nightmares now. Every time I enter a room and see a shadow, I look twice to make sure I’m not seeing something move. It’s ugly. I’ll get photos – if you guys can stand seeing them. I will post photos of the remodel. It’s gonna be nice.

I can relate to this quite well as I lived above a unit like the one you describe. The family below were the ones who had a mass roach infiltration and unbelievable messiness where I used to live and whenever they got sprayed the roaches would scurry up the risers into my unit. It was awful until they finally moved. The seemblance of something crawling around caught from the corner of my eye was pervasive for long after that ordeal. I was buying Raid by the case full at times.

But here’s the weird thing. The lady downstairs, Tracy and her family of five, were actually good people despite their squallered living habits. In fact, 25 years later, she is still a friend and client of mine for the financial services I do. I just really like her as a friend regardless. We get on the phone sometimes and yak away for long periods like good buddies.

But when I go to her home, which is typically once a year to get signatures on her tax returns, the only place I sit is in a wooden chair in her kitchen at the kitchen table. She was lucky and didn’t inherit bringing roaches with her after she moved into what was her mothers house after her mom passed away 25 years ago or so, but the sloppiness is still there although not as bad as when she lived below me way back when. Good nice folks can be slobs too. It’s just the way some people are.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Dealing with rentals can be absolutely disgusting sometimes.

That’s why I take extra caution when interviewing tenants and talk to previous landlords on potential issues.

I go into each property once every forty five days to do routine maintenance, takes about 15 minutes but let’s me inspect places and catch any issues before its too late.

I change the AC filter, feel under all sink traps for drips, exercise on off to all shutoff valves inside and outside, test T&P valves on water heaters, test smoke & fire alarms, and change light bulbs for the older tenants.

The worst is always the kitchen sink cabinets, they like to throw everything in there, trash bags, laundry detergent, sponges, candles, cleaners, fire extinguishers, towels, paper towel rolls, everything. When it doesn’t fit they push them in and lean their bodies against the cabinet doors. There are times they put so much force they literally knock the ptrap out of alignment and cause leaks, but they couldn’t hear any drips because it’s slow and all the junk inside like paper towel soaked up the water. By the time it’s discovered your cabinet has warped or swollen with ant or German roach infestations.

You might need a professional roach bait gel.

Vertical blind header rail with 2 happy roaches visible. You can see the filth on the header rail. Roaches dropped on me when I removed this. They were inside as well as on top of the header rail.

Geeze brings back memories when my old partner and I were doing maintenance
    On a apartment building.
    We ran into plenty of filthy places.
    One in the basement sounded just like the one you mentioned. We told the owner empty the place out, and clean it with bleach and then call us back.

Just make sure you take the precautions you don’t take home any little friends , or get sick.

Sounds like a big project. Good luck , nice to see you here again.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

It’s been nearly a month since she left, and after 2 professional sprayings, plus me spraying a pro spray that my pest control uses, the roaches are still coming out of the walls. I put mothballs into the walls just to get them to run out. I mixed up some powdered sugar with boric acid to put inside the walls before I close them up.

I think I finally have a good handle on the roach problem, but the restoration is taking longer than usual due to a kazillion nail and screw holes. My painter and I just cannot figure what the nail holes were for. They’re everywhere and in places you’d never expect there to be any.

But, I’m having fun being back on the job!! 🙂 I love my life! LOL

Pat

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Those are cute little ones,,, What about B-52 any big ones??
    Here we let the geckos live and they eat the little ones.

Those are cute little ones,,, What about B-52 any big ones??
    Here we let the geckos live and they eat the little ones.

When I was in Singapore , they had those big ones brown and black the brown ones could fly and the black ones could run faster than most people lol
    They were huge ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.310 seconds