dcsimg

Turbine Sprayers? What are they and are they worth it?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  MichaelKibler 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I’ve been considering getting set up lately to do small painting projects….a small fence here, some trim there…and to put a good, fast finish on my own personal projects.
    Recently, one of the Earlex spray stations came up for sale locally (HV3500), and I was wondering if this would fit my needs.

But aside from that…these small turbine driven kits always seem to come up, and I began to wonder if they are truly worth it?
    So, can anyone explain just what they are, what their best use would be, and whether it would be worth it to get one?

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would go with a good airless sprayer, they can spray almost anything and IMO they are much easier to use and set up than a HVLP. I have 2, one I keep just for clear finishes and one for paint.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Here’s a couple of good articles here help understand the differences between the two.

http://www.paintpro.net/articles/pp504/pp504_hvlp.cfm

http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/AAA/Airless%20vs%20Turbine.html

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Does it produce a better finish over a airless sprayer on trim .

Always willing to learn .

Hvlp’s are for mirror like finishes. Cabinetry is a perfect use for them.

The turbine style eliminates the need for an air compressor, as it is all contained in one nice package. The more turbines, i.e.3 stages 4 stages etc… the more powerful it is. A 6 stage hvlp means you will not need to thin thicker paints like latex down near as much as you would with a 3 stage.

Example: on a 6 stage you would not have to thin down ppg breakthrough (popular cabinetry paint) but with a 3 stage you would be thinning it down to its maximum.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Both reduce overspray which makes them great for workshops without a paint booth. HVLP (turbine) will give a better smoother final finish as the gun is more adjustable. An airless sprayer is more convenient (think cordless vs corded).

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Hvlp has way less overspray. Product transfer rate is 80% on an hvlp, which means more product will hit the surface and stick.

10 psi in hvlp vs 2000 psi in an airless….the airless will naturally have have product bounce off the surface.

Airless = production
    Hvlp = quality

dod
    Pro
    Dayton, OH

I used a Graco/Earlex HVLP sprayer to paint my cabinets.

The final results were great. I used Sherwin Williams Pro Classic paint. It dried very flat and smooth.

The major points of frustration:

I was working on a large project, a full set of new unfinished kitchen cabinets, while spraying the paint would begin to dry up and clog the needle. I had to stop frequently to clean it off to prevent “spitting”

The air hose connecting back to the turbine was large in diameter and not as flexible as I would have liked.

The reservoir was too small for the job I was doing.

The turbine was very loud.

The size of gun plus reservoir made it difficult to spray inside the shorter cabinets such as those over the range and refrigerator.

If I were to do it again, I would use an airless sprayer.

-Daniel

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I was working on a large project, a full set of new unfinished kitchen cabinets, while spraying the paint would begin to dry up and clog the needle. I had to stop frequently to clean it off to prevent “spitting”

That shouldn’t happen. Was the paint thinned? You may have been using a thinner that was allowing the paint to dry too fast.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m looking into buying a stage 4 system soon…tired of the compressor based setup and it’s less than stellar results.

Does anyone here use a turbine system for spraying?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

RyanF
    Pro

I have a Fuji 3 stage. My first advice wouldve been to get a 4 stage or higher, but you’re already there.

I would also go with the 3m pps system right away. It isnt essential, but it’s awesome. Can seem like a lot for what is essentially a bunch of plastic, but it’s worth.

Mine came with a 1.8 tip. Id go ahead and get a 1.3 off the bat as well. Between those two sizes and proper thinning, you can do most anything.

There are a lot of resources out there that can explaining the millions of nuances better than i can. Id only say be prepared to practice. A lot. I somewhat enjoy that process, so it isnt a big deal.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have a lot of experience with an HVLP, but not the turbine type. Mine is compressor driven. I actually use the 3M PPS with that gun. Its a great convenience actually and I’d love for the new set up to have the same system.

Jon P.
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I have a Fuji 3 stage. My first advice wouldve been to get a 4 stage or higher, but you’re already there.

I would also go with the 3m pps system right away. It isnt essential, but it’s awesome. Can seem like a lot for what is essentially a bunch of plastic, but it’s worth.

Mine came with a 1.8 tip. Id go ahead and get a 1.3 off the bat as well. Between those two sizes and proper thinning, you can do most anything.

There are a lot of resources out there that can explaining the millions of nuances better than i can. Id only say be prepared to practice. A lot. I somewhat enjoy that process, so it isnt a big deal.

I’ve been eyeing the 4 stage fuji sprayer, mini mite 4. I’ve been doing research to see if I can use it to paint my walls with regular latex paint then also use it to get mirror like finishes on my woodworking projects.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve been eyeing the 4 stage fuji sprayer, mini mite 4. I’ve been doing research to see if I can use it to paint my walls with regular latex paint then also use it to get mirror like finishes on my woodworking projects.

Aaron, from what I’ve read about them, yes the stage 4 Mini Mite would do all of that. I can’t say that I would choose a turbine sprayer for painting walls though…seems like overkill. These machines are for fine work primarily, however it would certainly do the job.

Jon P.
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Aaron, from what I’ve read about them, yes the stage 4 Mini Mite would do all of that. I can’t say that I would choose a turbine sprayer for painting walls though…seems like overkill. These machines are for fine work primarily, however it would certainly do the job.

here’s the thing, i do have some wall painting coming up. If i can use this for both wall painting and then later using it for woodworking projects. it’ll be totally justifiable to make this purchase. killing two birds with one stone sort of idea you know.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Works for me. There are certainly cheaper options for painting walls out there, but if you can use the sprayer for other tasks, then definitely pick one up.

I have a big airless for larger surfaces, but the turbine would do the job.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I have a Fuji Q4 Gold I bought a few years ago, but I haven’t used it yet so I can’t comment much. When I bought it I was advised to get the whip hose for easier usage which I did buy.

Another important tip I recall that when using it was to not have the hose all coiled up as this can cause heat build up in the line. Lay it out flat so the ground can act as a heat sink.

@r-ice. If you are getting a Fuji, there’s a guy at the Pickering Busy Bee who knows all about spraying and the Fuji sprayers they sell there inside and out. I highly recommended him. Can’t recall his name though, big guy with a beard. Calling Fuji in Toronto was also a good resource. Since the time I bought mine, Fuji now has a 5 stage model if I’m not mistaken which one should be ableto spray molasses with probably, lol.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

As a dumb/uninformed question, how do the 3 and more stage units compare to the (higher end models) Wagner sprayers? I had one and was unimpresses. When it died on the second coat of its firstproject, I was almost happy to have an excuse to return it. Was the Flexio 590 model.

I like the idea of a sprayer but dont want to break the bank or get another useless Wagner

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Works for me. There are certainly cheaper options for painting walls out there, but if you can use the sprayer for other tasks, then definitely pick one up.

I have a big airless for larger surfaces, but the turbine would do the job.

which airless do you run for painting walls then? I am trying to find the optimal set up that i don’t have to purchase double .

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

As a dumb/uninformed question, how do the 3 and more stage units compare to the (higher end models) Wagner sprayers? I had one and was unimpresses. When it died on the second coat of its firstproject, I was almost happy to have an excuse to return it. Was the Flexio 590 model.

I like the idea of a sprayer but dont want to break the bank or get another useless Wagner

I’ve never heard much good about those Wagner sprayers sold in BB stores.

The biggest diff with compressor run and turbine HVLP units is overspray. Minimal with a turbine, tons with a compressor run unit.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.776 seconds