dcsimg

Tub Moulding Question

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  DesertDeuces 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

Hi all,
    I have a question about which floor trim to use at the edge of new sheet vinyl flooring at the tub edge.

Normally, when I replace the bathroom flooring, I have used vinyl moulding at the tub edge and standard baseboard/shoe moulding for the rest of the room.

I really don’t like the look of vinyl moulding at the base of the tub. It’s kind of ugly, in my opinion. I was wondering what you guys might suggest.

In this remodel I’m doing, I’m going to use composite pvc base and shoe mouldings in the bathrooms around the walls, and was wondering if you would continue the shoe moulding around the base of the tub? Or would you use a cove base moulding? Or is there something else that might look better?

Pat

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I would use the shoe mold around the tub.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Or would you use a cove base moulding? Or is there something else that might look better?

Ordinarily I’m not a fan of moulding at the base of the tub but there are situations and conditions that necessitate using one. I have just finished a reno using a vinyl cove moulding at the base of the tub. Not the best fix but it’s better than nothing.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have rarely seen mouldings used in bathrooms around our areas.

Usually the walls are tiled either half way up or to the ceiling, so there is no mouldings required at the floor tile / wall tile joints.

I have never seen tub base with mouldings, usually just a bead of caulk at the joint. Is the moulding at the tub base required because the floor tiles were not installed past the tub but up to it and the cut was imperfect so it has to be hidden?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have rarely seen mouldings used in bathrooms around our areas.

Usually the walls are tiled either half way up or to the ceiling, so there is no mouldings required at the floor tile / wall tile joints.

I have never seen tub based with mouldings, usually just a bead of caulk at the joint. Is the moulding at the tub base required because the floor tiles were not installed past the tub but up to it and the cut was imperfect so it has to be hidden?

A good tub&tile caulk is common here too.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

typically we see a neat cut and caulk along a tub

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I agree a neat caulking job looks the best.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I mask tape it and caulk. Just cut the flooring real nice at the tub.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

The caulking idea sounds best. Thanks!

Pat

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.631 seconds