dcsimg

Trucks

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I have a questions on these new 4 wheel drive mechanisms.

As a background, last time I was into 4 x 4’s you had to stop, get out and lock the hubs, get back in and shift the transfer case into 4WD.

On the new ones, do you just flip it into 4 hi from 2WD as you are driving? Is there a speed range you have to be in when you do it? Do you stop to go from 4 hi to 4 low?

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Plenty of models offer a switch similar to a light switch for the headlights , a few different modes , 2wd 4 Ed or automatic , that basically driving with the rear diff , and when it senses slipping it automatically engages the 4 Ed system , I believe that some of the lower level trim , still have the shift on the floor for choosing the drive manually , I don’t believe you have to be stopped to use it , but I’m not 100 percent sure , I was basically looking for the mid range trim that has the dash mounted switch

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

On the new ones, do you just flip it into 4 hi from 2WD as you are driving? Is there a speed range you have to be in when you do it? Do you stop to go from 4 hi to 4 low?

Your right on the new ones you just turn a dial to select what you want. It is pretty easy.
    I shift from 2H to 4H on the fly when need during wet conditions with no issues. I switch back from 4H to 2H at the same speed. I have never came to complete stop. When shifting to 4L from 2H I normally come to complete stop. To switch back from 4L to 2H I do this on the fly. I am sure if this is the right way. But it works for me and I have been doing for 10 years with no problems.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

At which point I figured one of those would be lucky to last 6 months on the truck.

I would keep looking at them. I don’t know what the fabric is, but some of the fabrics today are pretty tough. It may be some sort of kevlar for all I know, and that would be really tough.

Be nice if I could find one locally to see just how durable they are. Course if I just improved my off-road driving, it might not be a problem. :/

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

MTRoads
    Pro

I have a questions on these new 4 wheel drive mechanisms.

As a background, last time I was into 4 x 4’s you had to stop, get out and lock the hubs, get back in and shift the transfer case into 4WD.

Each manufacturer has their own ‘recommendations’ so reviewing the manual if possible – or checking the manufacturer website would be recommended.
    As for my 2500HD, (pushbutton selection) I go from 2H to 4H or back ‘on the fly’. About the only thing I do is try to reduce to a reasonable speed (35mph or less for me) and reduce torque on the driveline by maintaining a steady/constant speed. Seems to work for me.

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think locking hubs are all but gone, they all have shift on the fly anymore.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I think locking hubs are all but gone, they all have shift on the fly anymore.

I believe you are right. I am a dinosaur when it comes to some things. Apparently there are kits you can get to convert them to manual locking hubs now. Also kits that change the newer unit bearings back to tapered roller bearings. I guess that is the thing to do if you are doing hard core off roading and don’t want things to break (as often). I don’t think mine will see any duty that severe.

I have a few trucks on my radar right now, my favourite being a long box F-150 XLT 4×4 with the 3.5l ecoboost. Also the most expensive of the 4 or 5 I have been looking at.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I have about 4 or 5 that I have been looking at. This one is my favourite so far. Also the most expensive and farthest drive to see.

https://www.goodwillsusedcars.ca/vehicles/2012/ford/f-150/aylmer/on/46318753/?sale_class=used

I have about 4 or 5 that I have been looking at. This one is my favourite so far. Also the most expensive and farthest drive to see.

https://www.goodwillsusedcars.ca/vehicles/2012/ford/f-150/aylmer/on/46318753/?sale_class=used

Wow , they seem to hold the value pretty good , they both look like they are in good shape.

MTRoads
    Pro

Looks good JDO, even comes with a topper pre-installed. 🙂

Stan

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Looks to be in good shape and the mileage isn’t bad either. Even comes with cap.

Greg

Doobie

Think I’d want want the four doors crew cab myself. But for the right price, I could maybe make do.

Not sure I want a truck any longer one day. Would have bought a trailer years ago, but the only place to keep it is in our front driveway and I just don’t need one that bad. They’re a bit of an eyesore in normal residential settings sitting there year in and year out, never mind it makes winter shovelling that much more of a chore.

Rented a pick up years ago while our vehicle was in for an insurance claim. Rented the biggest one they had. Wifey had me swap it out for a smaller one a few days later as she didn’t like the climb. I’ll admit, parking it when we were out and about was a dog as well.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Think I’d want want the four doors crew cab myself. But for the right price, I could maybe make do.

Not sure I want a truck any longer one day. Would have bought a trailer years ago, but the only place to keep it is in our front driveway and I just don’t need one that bad. They’re a bit of an eyesore in normal residential settings sitting there year in and year out, never mind it makes winter shovelling that much more of a chore.

Rented a pick up years ago while our vehicle was in for an insurance claim. Rented the biggest one they had. Wifey had me swap it out for a smaller one a few days later as she didn’t like the climb. I’ll admit, parking it when we were out and about was a dog as well.

My truck is 4 door crew cab. I love it. It would be nice if there was alittle more room in the back. It nice to just open the back door and put groceries or other items from shopping trip in the back instead of the box of the truck.

With a tonneau cover on the box I had to buy a trailer to take my ATV places or pick up large items that won’t fit in the box. The trailer can be pita to back up as it pretty small. But it is easy to move around the yard by hand when empty. Storage of the at present place has been no problem and I don’t think it will be problem at my new place. I really wouldn’t bigger trailer.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Well, I dropped a bunch of money on a 2012 F-150 in XLT trim. 4 wheel drive, 6 1/2 foot box, extended cab, 129,000 kms (just over 80,000 miles) on it. 2 sets of tires, both are AT truck tires but one has a more agressive tread on it for snow. Man that thing sits high compared to the car.
    Oh yeah, it’s blue and matches my wife’s favourite finger nail polish pretty well…lol.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Well, I dropped a bunch of money on a 2012 F-150 in XLT trim. 4 wheel drive, 6 1/2 foot box, extended cab, 129,000 kms (just over 80,000 miles) on it. 2 sets of tires, both are AT truck tires but one has a more agressive tread on it for snow. Man that thing sits high compared to the car.

Oh yeah, it’s blue and matches my wife’s favourite finger nail polish pretty well…lol.

Congratulations Jim on the new truck. Sounds like pretty good truck with low mileage and extra tires.

Greg

Congratulations Jim , sounds like a good truck , I’m sure you will enjoy it , and like the 4×4

My shopping for a truck has been on standby for a few weeks , just been to busy with other things

I’ve been meaning to go test drive the F150s.

Doobie

No pics it never happened? Hehehe, just kidding! When are you picking it up Jim? Congratz!

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

No pics it never happened? Hehehe, just kidding! When are you picking it up Jim? Congratz!

Picking it up today. There are a few things he will be fixing on it yet. He is waiting for a new rear door latch and the console cover latch, so it will be going back for that. Of course there will be pictures eventually. Do you really think I would let you down?…lol.

@Boschmanbrian
    trucks are getting harder to find. Used ones in particular. Apparently all the Ontario dealers are sending them south of the border because they get higher prices for them there. Lots are pretty empty and prices are up. I let a bunch of them slip through my fingers by thinking I would wait. Jump when you get an opportunity.

This one has the 3.7l V6 engine in it, so maybe slightly easier on gas, and no turbos on it to cause problems. Has enough power, 305 hp I think they rate them at. Dang thing sits higher than I would like. Big gnarly tires ought to save me from getting stuck in 4″ of snow like the car did. Hard tonneau cover on the bed too, so I won’t be carrying around a 1/2 ton of snow all winter. I may need a longer snow brush to get the roof though..lol. One of my pet peeves is people who don’t clear the snow off the top of their vehicle. Particularly when I am following them down the road.

Expect pics this weekend, and thanks guys.

Picking it up today. There are a few things he will be fixing on it yet. He is waiting for a new rear door latch and the console cover latch, so it will be going back for that. Of course there will be pictures eventually. Do you really think I would let you down?…lol.

@Boschmanbrian
    trucks are getting harder to find. Used ones in particular. Apparently all the Ontario dealers are sending them south of the border because they get higher prices for them there. Lots are pretty empty and prices are up. I let a bunch of them slip through my fingers by thinking I would wait. Jump when you get an opportunity.

This one has the 3.7l V6 engine in it, so maybe slightly easier on gas, and no turbos on it to cause problems. Has enough power, 305 hp I think they rate them at. Dang thing sits higher than I would like. Big gnarly tires ought to save me from getting stuck in 4″ of snow like the car did. Hard tonneau cover on the bed too, so I won’t be carrying around a 1/2 ton of snow all winter. I may need a longer snow brush to get the roof though..lol. One of my pet peeves is people who don’t clear the snow off the top of their vehicle. Particularly when I am following them down the road.

Expect pics this weekend, and thanks guys.

Now that you mention it Jim , I have noticed not as many used trucks in the dealership lots.

I was thinking about a new one , only because my wife can get a great deal because she gets great incentives because she’s working in the steel industry

Yeah definitely higher up , that’s one thing I love about my SUV I’ve had over the years , better view , and like you said , I’ve never had any issues getting stuck in the snow.
    I agree , I hate seeing people not clearing the snow of the roof or hood of their cars/trucks.

I’m looking for a V8 , just love that sound !!of the gas pump dinging lol

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I’m looking for a V8

The 5l V8 is not much more for gas. The 3.5l ecoboost (turbo) actually has more power than the 5l. Speaking with my mechanic over the last while he likes the 3.5l engine, the owners, not so much. They need more frequent servicing/oil changes. If you take care of them, they are fantastic engines. Buying used, that’s a bit of a gamble, but with low milage, less so. You also have to get into it now and then and get the turbos working otherwise the relief valves start to stick. I think the 3.7 is a good compromise. I would have taken any of the 3… 3.5, 3.7, or 5l. I am sure I’m in for a shock first time I fill up after driving the little 4 cyl. for so long. But I can’t put a sheet of plywood in the HHR. Or lumber, logs, dirt, gravel, manure, etc. I hope to use the truck as a truck, not a large sedan.
    Buying new was not in the cards for me. No car payments with this deal. I bought my HHR new in ’07 and it really bugged me the first few years that I owed more than it was worth. Depreciation off the lot is stress I can do without. If I could afford new I would probably look for a 2 or 3 year old trade in or off lease vehicle instead and skip the depreciation step as much as possible. But that’s just me. If no one bought new, that would get complicated in a hurry.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.384 seconds