dcsimg

Trucks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Well, as some know, we have our house up for sale and are planning a move. Likely up to more northerly parts of Ontario. My 12 year old car is getting the cancer and the rocker panels are going bad. I am thinking of a truck, and have been casually perusing them on line. So far I have 3 that may be interesting. A 2012 and a 2013 F 150, and a 2013 Silverado. I am not considering a Chryler product, bad experiences with them. I did look at a Tundra, but they are a bit pricey. I wouldn’t count one out if I got a good deal.

The ones I am looking at are all 4 x 4 (probably a lot of snow where we are going, and we are looking rural too). The Fords both have the 3.5l ecoboost V6, and the Chevy has the 4.8l V8. I hear good things about both engines and trucks and was looking to see what others experiences are with these trucks. Do you own a Ford or Chevy pick up? How’s it holding up? What would you consider pros and cons to be looking at as far as options (right now I only demand a/c, and cruise control, and some tunes)? So anything else you find really handy?

Oh, they are all extended cab. I don’t want a crew cab, but a little extra room in the cab for grocery trips so we can lock them up when we go store to store. I am more interested in a longer box. This thing will be carrying reno materials, fire wood, and who knows what else.

Thanks folks, fire away with what you think.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Well, as some know, we have our house up for sale and are planning a move. Likely up to more northerly parts of Ontario. My 12 year old car is getting the cancer and the rocker panels are going bad. I am thinking of a truck, and have been casually perusing them on line. So far I have 3 that may be interesting. A 2012 and a 2013 F 150, and a 2013 Silverado. I am not considering a Chryler product, bad experiences with them. I did look at a Tundra, but they are a bit pricey. I wouldn’t count one out if I got a good deal.

The ones I am looking at are all 4 x 4 (probably a lot of snow where we are going, and we are looking rural too). The Fords both have the 3.5l ecoboost V6, and the Chevy has the 4.8l V8. I hear good things about both engines and trucks and was looking to see what others experiences are with these trucks. Do you own a Ford or Chevy pick up? How’s it holding up? What would you consider pros and cons to be looking at as far as options (right now I only demand a/c, and cruise control, and some tunes)? So anything else you find really handy?

Oh, they are all extended cab. I don’t want a crew cab, but a little extra room in the cab for grocery trips so we can lock them up when we go store to store. I am more interested in a longer box. This thing will be carrying reno materials, fire wood, and who knows what else.

Great topic Jim ,

I know a few colleges that actually have some of those trucks you mentioned , so far so good , I hear that the echo boost is fairly economical on gas , until you start hauling heavy loads as in trailers , but that should not concern you , also that gm 4.8 has been around for eons and has a good rep

Good choice for 4×4
    Especially if you are in rural area

Personally I would like either a backup camera. Or like I have now on my Sorento the beeping warning as you get closer

Good luck with your search Jim , I personally think a pickup is a very practical vehicle 👍 great choice , looking forward to hearing more about your search

I actually went earlier this year and test drove the GMC canyon and Sierra ,
    I was looking at a pickup truck also ,
    But it’s been put on hold for a few months , just because my wife lost her job due to the covid19 pandemic , that being said , I’m still happy with my 2012 Sorento V6 AWD
    But definitely looking forward to buying a pickup eventually

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Personally I would like either a backup camera

That is a good idea. Particularly one of those ones that give you a view of the trailer hitch to help line it up. A trailer could be a possibility in the future.

Personally I would like either a backup camera

That is a good idea. Particularly one of those ones that give you a view of the trailer hitch to help line it up. A trailer could be a possibility in the future.

Yeah definitely a good idea , I wish I had my little trailer again , I’ve been trimming trees in the back yard , definitely could use a pickup truck or trailer , I need to get rid of plenty of branches and tree stumps.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I see some of those back up cameras have lines to show where you are steering. Some even compensate for the trailer and show where it will be heading.

I see some of those back up cameras have lines to show where you are steering. Some even compensate for the trailer and show where it will be heading.

Yeah they are pretty neat , some even have an extra view just showing more of the hitch and trailer tongue ,

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I know you don’t want a Chrysler product but I have 2011 Dodge Ram 4×4 Crew Cab with 4.7L short box. I bought this truck brand new. It really doesn’t have many bells or whistles. It does have AC,cruise, radio, trailer package spray in box liner. We added a factory remote starter which is nice on the very cold mornings or hot days. I put a fiberglass tonneau cover on the truck. It has it good and points. But I would probably put another one on truck again.You are limited what you can put in the box. I like it can be locked and groceries stay pretty cool in there. It is great for travelling. Just abit of pita to get stuff from the front of the box. As much as long box would be nice I prefer the short box with crew cab. This is my first 4 x 4 and it is really nice when roads are bad and driveway hasn’t been plowed. My truck is fairly decent on gas. I am very happy with this truck and I was never a Dodge person. I would buy one again.

Good luck with your search.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Attachments:
    MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

JDO, I realize you didn’t mention diesel in your description above. But for engine lifetime, it is hard to beat them. You mentioned firewood hauling and towing a trailer – these are both things the a diesel excels at.
    Not sure about up your way, but diesel just dropped less per gallon than regular gas here about a week ago.
    I have had 2 diesel rigs, a F350 crew-cab long bed that had right at 250,000 miles on it when I traded it – and was still running strong.
    I currently have a 2004 Chevrolet 2500HD, again crew-cab and long bed. It has just shy of 240,000 miles and I would hook it up to the 5th-wheel tomorrow for a cross-country trip with no qualms.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

JDO, I realize you didn’t mention diesel in your description above. But for engine lifetime, it is hard to beat them. You mentioned firewood hauling and towing a trailer – these are both things the a diesel excels at.

Not sure about up your way, but diesel just dropped less per gallon than regular gas here about a week ago.

I have had 2 diesel rigs, a F350 crew-cab long bed that had right at 250,000 miles on it when I traded it – and was still running strong.

I currently have a 2004 Chevrolet 2500HD, again crew-cab and long bed. It has just shy of 240,000 miles and I would hook it up to the 5th-wheel tomorrow for a cross-country trip with no qualms.

I did consider diesel. After talking to my mechanic I took it off the list for a few reasons. The price of admission to start and they really don’t like short trips which I currently do mostly right now. They are not as commmon on the used market around here and those that are look like the body went through a land slide. I have a pretty strict budget so the smaller engines for the daily grind fuel milage with enough power to work when needed is the ticket I think. Hoping to get in under the $15,000 (CDN) mark and hopefully closer to $10,000 after trade in and negotiations.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Will you be modifying the truck to have custom tool storage?

MTRoads
    Pro

I did consider diesel. After talking to my mechanic I took it off the list for a few reasons. The price of admission to start and they really don’t like short trips which I currently do mostly right now. They are not as commmon on the used market around here and those that are look like the body went through a land slide. I have a pretty strict budget so the smaller engines for the daily grind fuel milage with enough power to work when needed is the ticket I think. Hoping to get in under the $15,000 (CDN) mark and hopefully closer to $10,000 after trade in and negotiations.

Yeah, understand. They do keep their value a bit more than gas fuel trucks. As for the looking like they went through a landslide – that’s just abuse (on any truck). 🙂
    I use mine as a daily driver, doing 5-6 mile trips twice a day (to and from the workplace), the Ford for about 4 years and the Chevy I have now for 7 years – no problems with short trips that I can tell.

Stan

Have I gotta deal for you , send me a pm lol

My Sorento is up for sale lol

I have been looking for the last year , and man I can say that the market really fluctuates crazy , and some people think they can ask for the moon for the used trucks 🤷‍♂️

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I have uncle who bought a new diesel truck in 2005. He never drives in the winter time. He use pull his RV with when he first bought it. Nowdays he drives to the fairs to take his tractor to tractor pull. Some of these fairs are short drives. It sits in the garage more then he drives it. As far as I know he hasn’t any issues.
    I would rather have gas truck myself.

Greg

https://m.gmileperrot.ca/en/news/view/gmc-syclone-returns-at-750-horsepower-/76229?mobileredirect=true&utm_campaign=612868_GM_IP_Infolettre_semaine_du_6_juillet_20&utm_medium=email&utm_source=GMilePerrot.net-Anglais

I saw this the other day , I’m subscribed to the news letter ,
    I’ve definitely been interested in the GMC Sierra and Canyon ,

I too would prefer gas

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Will you be modifying the truck to have custom tool storage?

I doubt it. Most of my work is shop work. I could see putting in a sliding bed though. Easier to get to things up front as I would also consider a tonneau cover or cap. Hauling around a bed full of snow is not the most fuel efficient way to go.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Yeah! 750 hp baby! Now if I could get that for $10,000 CDN…lol.

Not so good on the hauling firewood and construction material front though….lol. I am limiting myself to full size trucks. I have about 5 of them I am looking at online. 2 of them have the 3.5l Ford Ecoboost, which is why I started this thread asking questions.

Yeah! 750 hp baby! Now if I could get that for $10,000 CDN…lol.

Not so good on the hauling firewood and construction material front though….lol. I am limiting myself to full size trucks. I have about 5 of them I am looking at online. 2 of them have the 3.5l Ford Ecoboost, which is why I started this thread asking questions.

Yeah I know Jim , sorry just saw this and thought it’s a good laugh lol

I think the echo boost is a decent engine , you will get decent milage for regular driving , only when it’s loaded or hauling the trailer would be see a difference in the milage , that’s where it drinks more gas because it’s forcing more.

Actually I think @RonW has one echo boost not sure I can’t remember a 100 percent

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I doubt it. Most of my work is shop work. I could see putting in a sliding bed though. Easier to get to things up front as I would also consider a tonneau cover or cap. Hauling around a bed full of snow is not the most fuel efficient way to go.

A sliding bed would be a nice addition to any truck. I know few times I thought about building one for my truck. Never got around to doing it. A tonneau cover or a cap do help having no snow in the truck bed. My last truck I didn’t have one and it was a real pita in the winter time. Myself I like the tonneau cover over cap as people can’t see what you have in in the box.

Greg

MTRoads
    Pro

woot woot! And now diesel is $0.02 less than regular gas here. Keep on dropping!

Stan

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

woot woot! And now diesel is $0.02 less than regular gas here. Keep on dropping!

Just getting it’s 2 cents worth in…..lol.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 133 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.355 seconds