dcsimg

truck tires

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Im considering going back to AT tires. Any positive feedback before I spend?

I have been running HTS LT General Grabbers but am not thrilled with them.
    Must have E rated sidewalls

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

id say it depends on teh road conditions your on.. are you mostly paved roads or are you on gravel roads and in dirt, deep snow and what not. is road noise and fuel economy a consideration

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

My old f350 I had 35’s & 33’s BFGoodrich AT I felt like they lasted. They looked nice to with the lettering out and a 15″ rim….They looked beefy.

My newer F250 I keep stock looking. The rims are 17″ and because they don’t look as beefy I keep white lettering hidden inside.
    Not sure if the knobby AT’s will last longer or look weird on the truck.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

I found this page is helpful in making tire choices. Just plug in the info on your truck and there are several selections of tires that come up with ratings and how they perform under different circumstances. Including wear life.

http://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/homepage.html

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Thanks Jim I actually visited there. Just looking for some real feedback from members.

It’s becoming a trend around here to order your own tires from a place like this then bring them locally to install.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I like a less knobby tire to cut down or road noise. As for tire life, I think the smoother tire will give more life, but in reality it depends on the use and where you drive. I spend a lot of time on the road, so the smoother tire wears better and is a lot quieter in the cab.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I run nothing but AT’s, always have. Between the ranch and muddy construction sites, I’d be dead in the water without them.

I would recommend staying away from the full-blown MT, or Mud Terrain tire, unless you are a “mud bogger”. They wear out fast, make noise, need to be rotated religiously, and are slippery on wet pavement.

I have no issues with AT’s wearing out fast, but I’m pretty gentle on equipment. I’ll get 50K+ miles no problem.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Thanks Jim I actually visited there. Just looking for some real feedback from members.

It’s becoming a trend around here to order your own tires from a place like this then bring them locally to install.

I didn’t buy off them. The dealership got the ones I wanted at the same price. I just used it to research and picked out my Dunlops. Which I do not regret at all.

The brands I have had the worst luck with are Firestone, Bridgestone (same company) and Uniroyal. These are on a car though, but I think quality (or lack of it) is something that is brand wide.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I like a less knobby tire to cut down or road noise. As for tire life, I think the smoother tire will give more life,

You are right on both counts. The cooler a tire runs the longer it lasts. You need a tire that cuts down on squirm that is where the tire flexes and the resulting friction creates heat.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i currently have duelers for my all seasons and kumos for my winters… i like the look of the duelers but im not impressed with the wear of them… they are considered a higher end tire but get terrible mileage ratings

one thing ill never do is buy tires from the dealership,, the markup is unreal.. a buddy is runs a tire shop locally that brings in more volume than anyone else locally,, he actually sells a ton of tires to the dealer which they then markup almost double at times. if i dont buy through him i go to http://www.quattrotires.com i bought my 17″ kumos through them for 800 delivered… had i bought tires locally i would have paid $1100 easily

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

I have had the continental contitrac on my old escape, lasted easily 6 and a half years, with over a hundred thousands km on them, was impressed with them, then actually used the B F Goodrich A T with the white lettering, they were very good also.
    And like some other guys mentioned, I would stick to A T, unless you really need the M T tires

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Well my truck with Goodyear Wrangler SR-A Tire tires on when I bought new. They serve me well I rotate them every 11 000 km. When I had 105 000 km I bought the same tires again the price was right. I drive my truck highway all the time. I made home in freezing rain storm this afternoon and travelled to work in few snow storms never using four wheel that much.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I put goodyear wrangler duratrack’s on my new ram and have been liking them so far. A while heck of a lot better then the slicks that come on it from the factory and no noise or difference in milage.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I have been running Cooper Discovery AT-3’s for the past couple years. Ride is good and not overly loud on the road. They come with a descent warranty for a AT tire at 50,000 mile.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Thanks for all of the input.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I put goodyear wrangler duratrack’s on my new ram and have been liking them so far. A while heck of a lot better then the slicks that come on it from the factory and no noise or difference in milage.

My truck is 2011 Dodge Ram. I guessing the tires I have are the slicks you are talking about. Honestly I like them.

Greg

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

I’ve been using the Michelin LTX A/T 2 on my e350 dually. It was a very noticeable change in traction from the previous brand, especially in wet conditions. I also like the width as they allow for pretty good airflow on the rear axle. Driving a 10k lb dually around in crappy weather is pretty awful so I was willing to put the best tires I could find on it.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

My truck is 2001 Dodge Ram. I guessing the tires I have are the slicks you are talking about. Honestly I like them.

Mine came with wrangler sr-a’s I believe they were called.

They were alright for the first few months till I bought my camper and tried backing it up a gravel hill, swapped em out 2 days after we got home lol

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I haven’t had a couple of days off in a while to take care of this.

Michelin’s were one of brands I was leaning towards. A friend has a ford with them and they looked nice.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

My truck is 2001 Dodge Ram. I guessing the tires I have are the slicks you are talking about. Honestly I like them.

Mine came with wrangler sr-a’s I believe they were called.

They were alright for the first few months till I bought my camera and tried backing it up a gravel hill, swapped em out 2 days after we got home lol

My truck is 2011 . Are trucks came with same tires. I don’t for getting better tires. I drive on the highway all the time. So I don’t need to wear out good tires on the highway.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.461 seconds