dcsimg

Truck-Mounted Vise

This topic contains 20 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Seven-Delta-FortyOne 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Time to get a vise for the work truck, and I’m wondering if there is a specific type that is made for outdoor use. All the ones I’ve used, that were mounted on a truck, didn’t have a great deal of rust on them. Can you just get a standard shop vise and oil it?

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

sergey061478
    Blocked

as far as i know, there a no “outdoor-rates” vises. Just try to keep it clean and lubricated. Spray it with wd-40 once in a while that should help against the rust. silicone spray work well too.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Time to get a vise for the work truck, and I’m wondering if there is a specific type that is made for outdoor use. All the ones I’ve used, that were mounted on a truck, didn’t have a great deal of rust on them.

Delta

@seven-delta-fortyone,
    Delta, I’d say if you keep it well coated it should do just fine. I would coat the moving parts with a film of grease. The rest I would coat with a silicone spray.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

where is it being mounted? will it be covered?

I see a lot of them mounted to one side of the rear bumper. Mostly on service trucks. Considering it rains a lot here they look pretty good with no noticeable rust. Maybe the motion of the vehicle circulates enough air to keep the water out.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Here is a good review of a Wilton truck mounted vice.

I have a vice outside on my workbench and I use CRC SP-400 Corrosion Inhibitor. It works really good.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I like the idea of something that is removable. I think I would go with something that would mount in your receiver hitchnor mounting a receiver up higher if I hat is to low.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

something removable and / or grease able..

kzcarp
    Pro

I see them all the time around here (Central New York), with not a lot of rust on them. Mostly on service and utility company trucks. Some of them I have seen with a bag over them, like a shower cap.

kevin

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

I suspect them being made of cast iron is the reason for little rust. Cast iron is relatively impervious to rust. It forms rust on the surface but that’s it. The parts I’d be concerned about rusting are the lead screw and nut(as they are steel) and those are relatively protected under the vise.

I lubricate the moving parts up inside my vise with never-seize, which serves as a lubricant as well as rust protection and it doesn’t come off easily.

The BIG vise we have in the garage is an OLD Starrett 6″ that started out it’s life on the back bumper of a welding truck(probably 10-15 years there). When the truck was scrapped 30+ years ago, the vise made its way here. There is a dark patina on all the metal that the paint has come off but we’ve never had a problem with rust on it. As far as I know, it’s never had any rust preventative measures taken, if so, it was during its early life but I doubt it.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

I suspect them being made of cast iron is the reason for little rust. Cast iron is relatively impervious to rust. It forms rust on the surface but that’s it. The parts I’d be concerned about rusting are the lead screw and nut(as they are steel) and those are relatively protected under the vise.

I lubricate the moving parts up inside my vise with never-seize, which serves as a lubricant as well as rust protection and it doesn’t come off easily.

The BIG vise we have in the garage is an OLD Starrett 6″ that started out it’s life on the back bumper of a welding truck(probably 10-15 years there). When the truck was scrapped 30+ years ago, the vise made its way here. There is a dark patina on all the metal that the paint has come off but we’ve never had a problem with rust on it. As far as I know, it’s never had any rust preventative measures taken, if so, it was during its early life but I doubt it.

Good info Dustin. No wonder they can last a long time.

That video is great Bill. That Wilton looks really nice. The ones I see on service trucks are on the bumper so they are relatively low. Not as low as if it were on a standard pickup though.

I would definitely get a hitch lock as that vice would disappear real fast. I’ve heard of people getting their hitch ball stolen so this would be a even better score.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Rear of the work truck. Uncovered.

When I was in the IBEW, we had a couple rigs with bumper vises, every plumbing or welding contractor around here has one as well.

I was looking at that hitch-mounted vise on Northern Tool the other day. I might just get that one, because I don’t have the right kind of bumper for a bumper mount.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

sergey061478
    Blocked

Just keep the vise well-lubricated. That should do the trick. Someone mentioned silicone spray. That will work even better than wd-40 in my opinion.

I have never seen that hitch mounted vise. I bet with a nice bracket to bring it up higher to tailgate hight it would be perfect.

lulu
    Pro

yeah any shop will wrk. also I recommend a pipe vise. you never know when youll ned one.

Trifles make perfection, but perfection is no trifle.
    Michael Angelo

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

I thought it never rains in California 🙂

--Steve

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I thought it never rains in California :)

According to Albert Hammond anyway.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I wonder if a wooden vise made of PT would do a good job? Something like a Moxon, wood screws and all….

Just thinking about other ways of skinning a cat

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

I thought it never rains in California :)

According to Albert Hammond anyway.

I knew someone would get it

--Steve

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I think @kurt@welkerhomes.com has the right idea of mounting it on the hitch. It could be put away unless it was needed.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.744 seconds