dcsimg

Truck bumper

This topic contains 12 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  hojo04 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Dont know where to post this so……

I went to half a dozen places to get my bumper painted and no one wanted to bother…..new work or insurance work only.

I ultimately went to see if I could have it wrapped but she never got back to me. So I grabbed a razor blade, scrapped the peeling paint, grabbed the festool sander on the extractor and cleaned it up.

I used a spray can color from duplicolor and it came out better than I expected. Im so pleased I may wet sand it and clear coat it.

Bought a new emblem too, hope it stays put its only a 3M stick

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Looks good, I am amazed how poorly the finish holds up on some parts of vehicles. Any more it seems like you have to know someone to get things done at an auto shop.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

That turned out real nice Tom ! I have used that paint with good results also. I sprayed my truck cap with the duplicolor in the quart can and it turned out bad. Had to sand and buff to make it half decent .
    What caused the bumper to get so rough? The rest of your truck looks like new.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I have a rough edge on the passenger door but thats it the truck is well kept. I bought it in 05. I dont know what caused the front bumper to peel so bad.
    The rear bumper is next but that entails removing plastic pieces like back up sensors.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I went to half a dozen places to get my bumper painted and no one wanted to bother

That bumper came out really nice. Good work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That looks a ton better. Or is that a half ton? lol.

I would bet that the problem is with the primer not sticking to the plastic from the factory. GM had a peeling problem for a few years with blue paint and it was the primer. They are using water based paints now so it takes a while for them to dial in the technology.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I used a spray can color from duplicolor and it came out better than I expected. Im so pleased I may wet sand it and clear coat it.

Really good looking result. Paint seems to be a real issue with a lot of makers. Ford has sure had it’s share of troubles with peeling paint.

Clear coat will make it look even better.

It is better to remain silent and be thought stupid than to open your mouth and remove all traces of doubt.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Yeah, I had a truck and the top was scratched everywhere else paint was fine. The body shop said they have to paint at a minimum the entire car. No partial painting.

Came out looking good though.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s where I’m at now too. Do it my self. No one wants to touch it and if they do it’s cost an arm&leg. I need to do something with the wheels on my van.. Not sure if I will paint or just get some new after market pimpin wheels.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

So its steel and a two piece bumper. The upper half of plastic was fine. When I looked AMAZON literally sold a chrome replacement for like $350 or primed for half.
    So after seeing those numbers I didnt blame the shops since labor alone would be a wash.

I figured it could come out worse and was of course pleasantly pleased.

Thanks guys

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Wow, that came out great, and at a fraction of the cost,
    I find most cars or trucks with the plastic painted bumpers, after say around 8 years, they usually start to do that, I think if a mixture of sun and wear and tear, parking lots and stuff.
    Nicely done

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

pleasantly pleased.

Looks TopNotch to me!!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Awesome job. Suck for those who passed this up. Their loss and your gain. You should be proud.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.600 seconds