dcsimg

Trip Charges

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I was wondering if anyone calculates trip charges in to jobs? If so how do you figure them? I do some work for a company out of Washington state on occasion, and they want me to bill them trip charges, but I have never done that. I was thinking a charge per mile, but I don’t know. What say the masses?

When we travel we charge a reduced rate for travel time plus mileage if we use our vehicle. If it’s overnight, per diem is added as well as hotel expense.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

For jobs in my normal area of work my fuel is figured into my overhead. I don’t do a lot of projects outside of my normal radius but when I do I charge an additional fuel surcharge and my full hourly rate per hour (1 hour minimum) of drive time to and from the site.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Bill them as much as you possibly can… If they want you to add a trip charge then do it!

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Up here we’d do a standard mileage rate (at least $0.60/km – often well over $1 though and more if you need a bigger truck or equipment), plus actual costs for lodging and food. Typically if it’s really remote here it’s a big commercial job, or oil and gas in which case they make it well worth while to do it, especially if it’s a bad time of year the big companies do a per diem that is usually pretty generous.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Ok, thanks.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

A company is telling you to charge them more money? Now that’s the company I’d like to do some work for lol

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

After having an audit for tax and they questioned my mileage, they wanted a log book. Explained nicly that my wife and kids will not fill it out.

Picked up an inexpensive Garmin GPS. Press the trip feature when I pull out of the driveway and when I am done. Record the #s. and note Mileage by GPS.

I was under estimating miles and time.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

After having an audit for tax and they questioned my mileage, they wanted a log book. Explained nicly that my wife and kids will not fill it out.

Picked up an inexpensive Garmin GPS. Press the trip feature when I pull out of the driveway and when I am done. Record the #s. and note Mileage by GPS.

I was under estimating miles and time.

Good idea in the Garmin. Yes time is money and trip time is time not spent working so you have to charge for it. The US Tax code mileage allowance is a god reference for the mileage charge, and usually 50% of your labor rate for the time.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I will typically figure the time from door to door and add it in the cost of the job. I pay my guys Mileage os that gets added to out of town Jobs or for moving from job to job during the day. that also gets charged to the job.

On a T & M Job, it is easy, on a bid job, I have to estimate the mileage and sometimes the time.

Overnight jobs, I pay a per diem and provide lodging.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

A company is telling you to charge them more money? Now that’s the company I’d like to do some work for lol

Yup, last time I did a job for them, the job was a mile from my house. That and the only tool I needed was a drill. I didn’t charge them because I didn’t feel it was worth it. I even told them as much. Seems they liked what I did because they now call with more business which is great.

I don’t do a trip charge but I do figure travel time into my price if it is outside my normal zone. So if i usually try to make $400 for an 8 hr day but it will take me 2 hours extra drive time I figure on making $500 per day on that job. But the customer doesn’t see it. If they ask why it’s expensive i will tell them of course

I don’t do a trip charge but I do figure travel time into my price if it is outside my normal zone. So if i usually try to make $400 for an 8 hr day but it will take me 2 hours extra drive time I figure on making $500 per day on that job. Or i’ll figure that it will take an extra day for every 4 days i expect the job to last. But the customer doesn’t see it. If they ask why it’s expensive i will tell them of course

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I had no idea the Garmins had that feature on it. I have one I’ll have to check it, I haven’t used it in so long with the smartphone. That would make billing and taxes a ton easier.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I was jusrt saying that there should be an app for zthat on your smart phone where you could print out a list of personalmmileage and work mileage at the end of the month or year.

RSG
    Pro
    Niles, OH

I charge a flat trip charge per trip. Its enough to cover fuel and my time

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I charge a flat trip charge per trip. Its enough to cover fuel and my time

As it should

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

I charge a percentage to the job that covers all travel costs.
    For example: If we travel an hour away I add 8%

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I was jusrt saying that there should be an app for zthat on your smart phone where you could print out a list of personalmmileage and work mileage at the end of the month or year.

I have logo’s on my truck. Any time it leaves the driveway and I’m not going to an actual job, I’m advertising the business, so I don’t worry about separating mileage for personal/business. It’s all business.

I charge a percentage to the job that covers all travel costs.<br>
    For example: If we travel an hour away I add 8%

That’s not a bad idea.

Your situation sounds different than what mine would be. I don’t charge for the trip, it is included in my overhead. In your case, I would charge though. Usually it is a flat fee unless you have a huge variation in distance to projects.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.583 seconds