dcsimg

Trimming the excess of the decking.

This topic contains 32 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  xtsallad 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

How big of a pain to just remove the rail and put it back when your done?

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Rockwell compact saw may fit in there ??
    https://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK3441K-Compact-Circular-Accessory/dp/B00GTEU0M4/ref=pd_sim_469_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00GTEU0M4&pd_rd_r=SDD8YXJ61R0S5MMY6Z11&pd_rd_w=kML2s&pd_rd_wg=6R1ml&psc=1&refRID=SDD8YXJ61R0S5MMY6Z11

I thought about one of those too.

At first I thought that too Kurt. But not sure that he has that much clearance. Looks like it might be less than 1 1/2″ to me with the strip under the decking.

Depending on how much less, I would be tempted to cut down the base of an old saw if necessary.

Thats sounds good but usually the saw body is pretty equal to the base.

Have you considered using the track saw Without the track? The blade is almost all the way to the edge of the saw and woudn’t need much clearance from the posts to make the cut.

I have tried using the tracksaw without the rail and its not very smooth. And blind….a tacked board for a guide is a must.

If I cant get it from underneath I will try to swing the lower rail out of the way. Its all ring shank nails in 1x.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Could you put temporary extensions in that would support a track on the outside? Most track saws let you cut close so you really just need something to support the rails. Can you build a floating support for the rail?

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

At first I thought that too Kurt. But not sure that he has that much clearance. Looks like it might be less than 1 1/2″ to me with the strip under the decking.

Depending on how much less, I would be tempted to cut down the base of an old saw if necessary.

That would work. Heck even if you had to buy a new saw to cut down it would be worth it.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Could you put temporary extensions in that would support a track on the outside? Most track saws let you cut close so you really just need something to support the rails. Can you build a floating support for the rail?

I was thinking something like that, clamp some sort of temporary support for the track saw using it the opposite way, this way the blade is certainly closer to the rail, and the temporary clamped supports will hold up the track saw?
    Good luck.
    Will be interesting to see what you choose,

RyanF
    Pro

I was thinking something like that, clamp some sort of temporary support for the track saw using it the opposite way, this way the blade is certainly closer to the rail, and the temporary clamped supports will hold up the track saw?
    Good luck.

Looks like the deck boards already cut to fit are flush with the post and bottom section of the rail. Reversing the track would get you close, but the housing of the saw would leave the cut out about 1/2″ from the bottom rail and already cut boards.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

I was gonna say track saw also my Bosch corded track saw will cut that no problem actually cordless one will cut it also

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Good luck.

Looks like the deck boards already cut to fit are flush with the post and bottom section of the rail. Reversing the track would get you close, but the housing of the saw would leave the cut out about 1/2″ from the bottom rail and already cut boards.

I think you could be right, I went back and took another look, at first I was looking at only the first picture, but after taking the time to look at the second one better, it does look like they are pretty much even with the posts.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I opted to extract the connections of the lower rail to swing it in enough to run the saw. Came out good. I have so many posts to replace I feel like pulling everything but we are trying to do this repair in increments an safety priority.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

I opted to extract the connections of the lower rail to swing it in enough to run the saw. Came out good. I have so many posts to replace I feel like pulling everything but we are trying to do this repair in increments an safety priority.

Safety and production never seem to work together lol . Glad you found a rhythm for this cutting problem at least .

Always willing to learn .

JackR
    Pro

I would remove the railings

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I would remove the railings

That sounds like a lot of work.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

Removing the railings after all of the boards are linstalled might be a way. Then, cut the edge of the whole deck at once and hopefully reinstalling the railing in the same day or run caution tape well inside the deck area for a day or two.

If the boards got cut and then fit, could they be evened up with a planer?

j

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.228 seconds