dcsimg

Trimming the excess of the decking.

This topic contains 29 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Skillman 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

What works well for cutting the ends you leave Wild when you’re doing retrofit?
    I’m working on a large meranti deck repair all cut on 45. I need to let the ends go wild and trim them after the fact but I can’t get a saw in there and certainly not attract saw in between all the posts notched on the outside.

Looking for a clean way to cut them straight the only thing I’m thinking is possibly by hand. And I can’t accept that.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

We need some pictures @topnotch .

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Would a OMT work at all?

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Here
    Its so time consuming. I have to replace about 6 posts as well none of which are where it would benefit me to swing the rails in a bit.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Could you use the colt trim router with a off set base?

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

The cut edge is too close to the post and rail. The track saw would be perfect but its the wrong side of the line.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Jig saw work?

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Jig saw work?

No the body rides too close I considered it.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Could you mark the boards and pull them back out and cut? I’m guessing you screwed them in?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I started doing that in random places Ron but it sucks. Meranti sucks to work with as it is. Its hard and Im using soft fasteners. SS.

You get bows and other little weird things that through the diagonal cuts out of whack real easy.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I started doing that in random places Ron but it sucks. Meranti sucks to work with as it is. Its hard and Im using soft fasteners. SS.

You get bows and other little weird things that through the diagonal cuts out of whack real easy.

Looks and sounds like a pain in the tail.
    Rons idea with the off set base for the colt would work other than right next to the posts. Maybe use a hand saw and a belt sander to get the remainder flush?

Ron

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

In the first photo I would trim the ones that are hanging out from the bottom side. Add a temporary shim along the rim board and guide the 1 1/2″ side of shoe of a circular saw along the shim.

You may have a little hand work at the posts but that would get most of it.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

At first I thought that too Kurt. But not sure that he has that much clearance. Looks like it might be less than 1 1/2″ to me with the strip under the decking.

Ron

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

At first I thought that too Kurt. But not sure that he has that much clearance. Looks like it might be less than 1 1/2″ to me with the strip under the decking.

Depending on how much less, I would be tempted to cut down the base of an old saw if necessary.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

It’s worth trying from the underside. We’ll see.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Depending on how much less, I would be tempted to cut down the base of an old saw if necessary.

I have done this before..

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

I would run a stringe line on the outside measure out to that and cut each board . Or use my track saw , jigsaw , etc what every made the cut lol . Good luck

Always willing to learn .

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Have you considered using the track saw Without the track? The blade is almost all the way to the edge of the saw and woudn’t need much clearance from the posts to make the cut.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Have you considered using the track saw Without the track? The blade is almost all the way to the edge of the saw and woudn’t need much clearance from the posts to make the cut.

That’s a good idea and you could tack a bit of 1x to guide the saw.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.637 seconds