dcsimg

TriHorse: Three-legged sawhorse design, use and building

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

@robotmaster5379 and ALL,

I won’t post a link here, but if you care to, you can Google TriHorse and find plans.

The plans are 12-page .pdf file that includes dimensioned drawings, photos, illustrations and instructions for building sawhorses in a range of lengths from 4′ to 8′, in heights of 30″ to 36″ and in both the three-legged “Tri-Horse” and in a more traditional 4-legged version.

The plans are primarily for the building of the sawhorses with some photos, illustrations, and suggestions about how to use them and accessorize them.

The $10 for the plans is easily recouped by the efficiency of layout and waste saving. The money we have collected so far has simply covered the cost of the CAD drawings and the online secure storefront that makes the plans available to people.

Anyway here is an example page from the plans which could work for you if you don’t want to buy the full plan set. I will answer any questions anyone has about how to build these and post build pics etc.

I have a set of the plans from Brian and they are well worth the money – lots of detail to them.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

The price seems pretty cheap when you consider
    that he came up with the idea, did the initial ones, blue prints and cad, price isn’t bad at all.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

That seems interesting and I do need to replace the crappy sawhorses I have now.

I have enough assembly, clamping, sanding and other tasks now that I am adding dog holes in the top rails of the rest of my TriHorse system, mostly for use with bench cookies. In the photo below, I am copying the layout.

Here is a link to a photo on the TriHorse FB page showing how I set up for clamping projects:

https://www.facebook.com/TrihorseSystem/photos/pb.253670804793588.-2207520000.1430335191./404513599709307/?type=1&theater

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have enough assembly, clamping, sanding and other tasks now that I am adding dog holes in the top rails of the rest of my TriHorse system, mostly for use with bench cookies. In the photo below, I am copying the layout.

Here is a link to a photo on the TriHorse FB page showing how I set up for clamping projects:

https://www.facebook.com/TrihorseSystem/photos/pb.253670804793588.-2207520000.1430335191./404513599709307/?type=1&theater

Those dog holes are very fancy!!

The dog holes are great for those who use TriHorses in the shop or for mostly indoor finish work.

If they will be mostly outdoors, in the weather, the dog holes would be a rain catcher and a disaster really.

You can get the same utility for outdoor work with dog holes bored in 2×6’s that hook on the the horses with these: http://www.rockler.com/sawhorse-supports-4-pack

I recommend using 2×6’s in them to give you both a more study platform and to elevate your work surface 2″ above the horses so you won’t cut into them.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Has anyone here built one?

@ChadM has built them. Probably some others here. I could post a bunch of positive testimonials here but that would be tacky. So far all of the the feedback from the hundreds of people who built and use them has been very positive.

Cheers, Brian

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

@basswood Love the Ingenuity in your design. I was expecting to see your TriHorse in a patented design of synthetic materials but it is made entirely of wood. That really allows anyone to use the design and make it themselves. That’s awesome and I’m not knocking it. Being new to Woodworking myself, you had me on the 3 leg more stability feature.

A Working Pro since 2004

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Very nice Briam. I think if I made a few sets, I would eliminate some of the smaller holes just to build them faster. I guess I could add the holes later if I wanted them.

@Warren,

The smaller holes that reduce in size, as the curves on the legs converge, are not required, and yes they can be added later. They are primarily there to reduce weight in a way that does not noticeably reduce strength. That part of the design turns the rail and legs into truss-work, essentially, with the hole patterns forming the web of the truss.

I borrowed this part of the design from Victorian era ironwork I saw in a French train station:

Doobie

I’ve been pondering maybe making these since I first saw them a couple of years ago, just not 100% sure I want to for my own peronal DIY use. If I do, for $10USD, the plans would save me a lot of figuring out on my own and by the sounds of offers the variety of configurations and accessory items you can make for them. Can’t go wrong at that price.

Here is another way to use these horses, though this would work on any horses with 2x rails.

I made a cutting table of 2×6’s set in metal bracket/hangers with interlocking half-lapped 2×4’s. The 2×6’s set the height of the cutting surface 2 inches above the sawhorses, so you don’t cut into the horses.

The 2×6 with 2×4 bracing is also stout enough to hang the miter box from. So the same cut table that you use for rail saw ripping can also be used to cut the rips to length on the SCMS.

Attachments:

Hi All,

Today I am working on a set up for hanging the TriHorse components on the shop wall. It would also work for racking them on trailer or work van walls too. I will post photos when I get a chance.

Also in the works, is a cart for storage and/or moving the components around more easily. Might be a few weeks before I get that info posted?

All the best, Brian

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Sounds like you are a busy boy. Thanks for the information and updates. I always love seeing these setup.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

I’ve been seeing your design around the web for a while, Brian. Seems very flexible. One thing I not clear on is the keyhole slots. Seems like everything that gets attached to them is with a through bolt with a knob on the other side, so a plain slot would suffice. Do you have any examples of the keyhole in use?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I’ve been seeing your design around the web for a while, Brian. Seems very flexible. One thing I not clear on is the keyhole slots. Seems like everything that gets attached to them is with a through bolt with a knob on the other side, so a plain slot would suffice. Do you have any examples of the keyhole in use?

@whitehill
    Are you talking the vertical slots in the horse?
    I remember seeing a picture that had a compound saw on it and an extension being held by a bolt through one of the keyholes.

BTW, I think this 3 legged horse is a great idear.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Our wood saw horses are dying a slow death. I am looking forward to buying a set of Brians plans and building these! It really is a great design!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

@58chev, yes, those slots. I’ve seen them used with bolts going through, but not anything that seems to make use of the keyhole aspect (the larger diameter hole at the top of the slot), so wondering if that is unnecessary. Faster to construct if just doing the slot.

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

These sawhorses are a really great design, very well thought out. They definitely seem like the would be more sturdy than the typical folding metal horses you quite often see.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 140 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.626 seconds