dcsimg

TriHorse: Three-legged sawhorse design, use and building

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 140 total)
  • Author

This is the new thread on the TriHorse. I designed this sawhorse to overcome limitations of traditional sawhorses. The three-legged design does not rock on uneven terrain (as 4-legged horses do). I also wanted a sawhorse that packs flat for transportation or storage, and sets up without tools. The design is kinda like Tinker Toys. It can be connected to other sawhorses as the basis for work tables or work stations supporting tools like miter saws and table saws.

Basically TriHorse is the basis of a knockdown portable workshop that assembles in about 3 minutes. I no longer need a dedicated miter saw stand or table saw stand. Two of these sawhorses work as traditional sawhorses, but also replace those saw stands too, so all my carpentry tools now fit in a Honda Odyssey minivan instead of a full-sized Ford van and trailer.

I make 3 and 4-legged versions of these, bored and slotted for clamping, tool storage, and all sorts of other functions.

I will follow up here with more photos, tips on use, and building them and will answer any questions you have. If you want to build these, basically give the plans away for these. The cost only covers the cost of the CAD drawings, and cost of the website that makes them available. I won’t post that link here.

Most here could easily build these without plans, they are offered essentially as a convenience. I will openly share any information you need to build these here. I really don’t want to piss off any moderators or anyone else, so let me know if I cross any lines here and I will be glad to pull any posts or content.

My goal is to improve our profession and make carpentry, safer, easier, and more efficient!

You built a really good saw horse set up . What’s the weight of one horse .

Always willing to learn .

@Skillman,

All the holes and slots reduce the weight from the “web area” and make them essentially a truss.

The short TriHorse (4′) weighs 30 lbs. The Long Heavy TriHorse weighs in at 46 lbs. With all the holes working as handles they are pretty easy to get hold of and carry around, despite being stout horses.

Brian

@Skillman,

All the holes and slots reduce the weight from the “web area” and make them essentially a truss.

The short TriHorse (4′) weighs 30 lbs. The Long Heavy TriHorse weighs in at 46 lbs. With all the holes working as handles they are pretty easy to get hold of and carry around, despite being stout horses.

Brian

The weight doesn’t sound bad at all . Like you said the holes help make it lighter .

Always willing to learn .

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

They are nice for the job site. I built two 6ft long and they are great. I place my metal brake on them and use the other side for materials and what not. They are my favorite horses I have used in 20+ years for the versatility and size.
    The photo is from last winter, but only one I have.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

Attachments:

Speaks volumes about you in your willingness to share info and ideas on these horses. The way they can be taken apart seems to have so many advantages. Along with many other points about them

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

@basswood Thank you for being sensitive to the community by not posting links and such for the plans right away. Please send the link to me at bethepro@bethepro.com and I will take a look. If it is as innocent as you saw (I have to admit I want a set of these horses myself) then I can feature it in a post and a few other places.

Would like to see some of your projects that you work on as well as the innovative tools you have come up with to produce high quality results.

Cheers,

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It’s great to see you here with the Tri Horse.
    I do not think you pissed off any of the Mods , they are a good bunch that just had to do a job.
    Those of you that may not know BassWood. I find his FaseBook page very interesting and fallow him there.
    I really have over the few years I’ve fallowed him learned a lot from him. I also enjoy seeing his work.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@Basswood, Thank you for posting. Both the 3 and the 4 legged sawhorses look to be very versatile on the job site.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

It’s great to see you here with the Tri Horse.
    I do not think you pissed off any of the Mods , they are a good bunch that just had to do a job.
    Those of you that may not know BassWood. I find his FaseBook page very interesting and fallow him there.
    I really have over the few years I’ve fallowed him learned a lot from him. I also enjoy seeing his work.

Nope, no angry mods here!

I have also been a follower of Basswood’s FB page for a few years – in addition to being the inventor of a pretty cool saw horse he is a darn good carpenter. I have had a set of the plans for the tri-horse for a year or so but have just never gotten around to building them for some reason.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Nice horses for sure. I remember the first time that they were posted. I never seen the fence before that was pictured in the shop setup. That is right up my alley.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I really like the way it is used as table saw bench. The miter saw one to looks like it could be useful.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Nice horses for sure. I remember the first time that they were posted. I never seen the fence before that was pictured in the shop setup. That is right up my alley.

I also remember seeing them posted somewhere too , not sure where but they are very nice benches and well thought out .

Jummul
    Pro

I’m very curious of the plans. Will check out your facebook for sure!

I posted this to my Basswood Artisan Carpentry FB page and the TriHorse FB page yesterday, another advantage of this design is the deep rail and third leg inline with the rail. TriHorse is unique among sawhorses by offering the ability to hold work pieces on edge. Doors, storm windows, and screens are a few of the items where this can be especially handy for scraping, planing, sanding or finishing edges.

The 8′ horse measures 6’8″ from the intersection of the two leg assembly to the end of the third leg so they work well for full-sized doors.

They are both sawhorse and door bench. One photo here is of me mortising hinges for new doors for a home. I stacked the new and old doors together to transfer hinge locations directly. After the hinge locations were marked I changed the setup a bit for dust collection and found it worked as well as through the column pick up, without the hose in the way.

Let me know if this makes sense, or feel free to ask questions

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

@basswood – if I am looking at it right it looks like the door supports attach to the tri horse with dowels? Are the supports adjustable or do you just move them up or down the column of dowel holes?

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

@ChadM

You can simply tap a 3/4″ dowel into a hole in the third leg to hold up on end of a door and rest the other end against the double leg and clamp it.

I also made adjustable t-tracks that plug in with dowels that I use for various tasks, like as trim racks, etc.:

Today the Trihorse is part traditional sawhorse for working with and handling material and part miter saw stand.

Attachments:

Wow awesome sawhorses, I never thought about 3 legs. Next ones I build will follow this.

@robotmaster5379 and ALL,

I won’t post a link here, but if you care to, you can Google TriHorse and find plans.

The plans are 12-page .pdf file that includes dimensioned drawings, photos, illustrations and instructions for building sawhorses in a range of lengths from 4′ to 8′, in heights of 30″ to 36″ and in both the three-legged “Tri-Horse” and in a more traditional 4-legged version.

The plans are primarily for the building of the sawhorses with some photos, illustrations, and suggestions about how to use them and accessorize them.

The $10 for the plans is easily recouped by the efficiency of layout and waste saving. The money we have collected so far has simply covered the cost of the CAD drawings and the online secure storefront that makes the plans available to people.

Anyway here is an example page from the plans which could work for you if you don’t want to buy the full plan set. I will answer any questions anyone has about how to build these and post build pics etc.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 140 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.729 seconds