dcsimg

Treasure turns up in unusual places.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

There probably is. Strange though why they would have done that in the first place.

To me not really they wanted somebody in the future to maybe find them.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

There probably is. Strange though why they would have done that in the first place.

People do that all the time. For example any time I put a super wide board in any where I take a second and write suff on the back of it. Also if I find a brand new penny with the current years date I leave it somewhere

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

People do that all the time. For example any time I put a super wide board in any where I take a second and write suff on the back of it. Also if I find a brand new penny with the current years date I leave it somewhere

wasn’t there a tradition of putting a shoe behind the wall as a superstitious token of good luck? has anyone found any of those?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2008/06/22/mystery_of_the_shoe_in_the_wall.html

It’s strange … I keep thinking there are more there in those walls just waiting to be found.

I explained the “how” they got there in the opening of this thread. There was a fire in the late 1800’s and a photographers studio with what would have been his life’s work went up with the flames. The glass plates would have been stored in wooden crates against the 6 x 2 lathe and plaster wall above, then as the fire took the lathe out and consumed the boxes the plates simply would have fallen in to the wall void below which was unaffected by the fire.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Here’s my fav of all them …

That is a great shot.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Just to finish up I thought I’d share the photo’s in a slide slideshow … hopefully this link works.

SLIDESHOW

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Just to finish up I thought I’d share the photo’s in a slide slideshow … hopefully this link works.

http://s58.photobucket.com/user/TFOGas/slideshow/Frank%20Paltridge?sort=3

That worked. Great slideshow, Merv.
    I’m going to pas this on to a buddy of mine who’s wife has been a photographer for decades, I think she would love the slideshow.

ThanX for posting it.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Thanks Frank … just know I’ve changed the link to this …

THIS

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

So again om the current job I found these interesting items.

A simple three sided bottle … approx early 1900’s I would say.

Same again …

A nice three sided blue bottle …

This one clearly marked POISON … one mans medicine eh?

Carbolic acid … sometimes called Phenol which was first extracted from coal tar, but today is produced on a large scale (about 7 billion kg/year) from petroleum. It is an important industrial commodity as a precursor to many materials and useful compounds. It is primarily used to synthesize plastics and related materials. Phenol and its chemical derivatives are essential for production of polycarbonates, epoxies, Bakelite, nylon, detergents, herbicides such as phenoxy herbicides, and numerous pharmaceutical drugs.

The antiseptic properties of Phenol were used by Sir Joseph Lister (1827–1912) in his pioneering technique of antiseptic surgery.

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

Clev08
    Pro

Carbolic acid … sometimes called Phenol which was first extracted from coal tar, but today is produced on a large scale (about 7 billion kg/year) from petroleum. It is an important industrial commodity as a precursor to many materials and useful compounds. It is primarily used to synthesize plastics and related materials. Phenol and its chemical derivatives are essential for production of polycarbonates, epoxies, Bakelite, nylon, detergents, herbicides such as phenoxy herbicides, and numerous pharmaceutical drugs.

The antiseptic properties of Phenol were used by Sir Joseph Lister (1827–1912) in his pioneering technique of antiseptic surgery.

That blue bottle is awesome, I’d clean it out and put it on display!

Doobie

Nice bottles! Unfortunately I’d have no room to put it in other than storage. Wifey rules on those sorts of things for display. 🙁

Nice bottles! Unfortunately I’d have no room to put it in other than storage. Wifey rules on those sorts of things for display. 🙁

My wife has a little collection of blue bottles going so these add accent to those … when I found them both were completely filled with sand and grit.

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Same again …

lol why would they put poison in bottles that look so nice.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Mervyn, very nice bottles you found. Very nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

My wife has a little collection of blue bottles going so these add accent to those … when I found them both were completely filled with sand and grit.

Very nice find, filled with sand and grit, where about did you find them, basement someplace,

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Same again …

Those are some nice finds. We get some old bottles here when digging. It’s the iwi that closes down the jobsite.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

Some old bottles are worth money. There are people who collect those things and pay stupid money for some of them.

Very nice find, filled with sand and grit, where about did you find them, basement someplace,

Nope … just lying there in the mud …. who knows what else lay’s just under the surface … because the site was cleared for the new basement all the earth was upturned. I found another couple of uninteresting jars too … I put them aside … these I will return to the home owner.

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

One man’s scrap is another mans treasure

Here is another job we did a few years ago and the customers yard was just a treasure trove, something new to look at every step you took. …

https://goo.gl/photos/QiuBXQ7HQfjMwgLh8

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

Doobie

Pics aren’t coming thru @JourneyMan. Or is that just on my end? 🙁

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.455 seconds