dcsimg

Treasure turns up in unusual places.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Author

I always enjoy finding the signature and date of workers from jobs decades past.

I found a yardstick and some newspaper along with a signature in the walls of my house. Guy signed, wrote the date, the weather, and that birds were singing. Nice touch

So it turns out that one of the upper floors housed a photographers studio (details to follow) and some time in the early 1900’s the building had a fire consuming the whole 3rd floor (a printers or newspaper office) and the photographers studio. At a guess i’d say these plates once were stored in wooden crates and more than likely up against the wall above where I cut. The lath and plaster above would have burned through and the plates fell in to the void.

That is quite the treasure. My granddaughter who works in a museum in Lacock, Scotland right now specializes in restoration of old photographs like those.

I have my own in house restoration expert … my wife Tammy … here are a few she worked on showing the processes from the broken glass negative to the finished photo.

She also did some research on the photographer and this is what she found.

Frank Paltridge – born 1836 or 1837 in England

Photographer 1870-1872 Seaforth, Ontario – Robert Scott Block

Moved to Galt, Ontario (Now Cambridge) in 1873. Photographer from 1873-1884.
    In 1873 He was also a “Precenter” for the choir @ Central Presbyterian Church. (Before there was an organ). It was not for long.

The 1881 Census lists him as being 44 yrs old. No wife. Son – Francis was 17yrs old (DOB 1863 or 1864) and also a photographer.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Strangest treasure I have come across was taking out the trash to spot a ‘handle’ sticking up out of the dumpster. Thought ‘hey – that looks kinda familiar’. Pulled it out, and I had a second fence (with extra extension arm) for my table saw…

Absolutely perfect – not a single problem with it.

🙂

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like finding news papers from the 30s and 40s in old homes as we do demo.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

A few more photo’s from that collection that came out much better after a lot of work from my wife …

I’m going to guess this you man has a scholarship of some kind in his hand.

Stern looking woman … but I guess in those days they were told not to smile

This young fella must have won some prize or other at the time

I have many more, do I share them or not?

Strangest treasure I have come across was taking out the trash to spot a ‘handle’ sticking up out of the dumpster. Thought ‘hey – that looks kinda familiar’. Pulled it out, and I had a second fence (with extra extension arm) for my table saw…

Absolutely perfect – not a single problem with it.

🙂

I like this kind of treasure too … one mans trash is another mans treasure for sure. On a visit to a dump site my buddy saw an old lady and her son pulling a vintage 3 wheel bike (trike) out of a truck but they struggled to actually throw it in the dumpster, I asked if we could help and they agreed. On closer inspection I recognized the trike for what it was and quickly took a snap of it and sent it to a friend who collects and repairs them. He very excitedly replied “no way you can let that go in the trash” so I offered $10 bucks for it and took it to my buddy. He in turn gave me $20 and explained after some general clean up the trike would fetch 10 times that to the right buyer.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

that is pretty interesting, now any chance for a link that i can blow up and see detail? i find pictures of days gone by to be very interesting.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice find on the glass negatives. Very rare nowadays.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

that is pretty interesting, now any chance for a link that i can blow up and see detail? i find pictures of days gone by to be very interesting.

Link sent via private mail …

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Link sent via private mail …

thanks that was really cool and definitely a treasure, it is also interesting to see how styles and decorum change over the years. Everyone had either the top button or all the buttons done up. Nowadays we never button the top

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I like finding news papers from the 30s and 40s in old homes as we do demo.

I have found a few old news papers. Funny some of the old homes here have use it as insulation. lol

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Stern looking woman … but I guess in those days they were told not to smile

I had always heard that it took like 30-60 seconds to take a photo back then and ya couldn’t move of course, Maybe she didn’t have anything to smile about for that long 🙂

Clev08
    Pro

Those are some pretty neat pictures, when we replace a front door we found a note behind the scaring that said “no milk today”

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I have my own in house restoration expert … my wife Tammy … here are a few she worked on showing the processes from the broken glass negative to the finished photo.

Your wife has done an amazing job on the restoration of the negatives..

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

The restoration on those glass plates is really cool. Being able to track down the history of the photographer to piece the whole background of those together is awesome.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Wow those are beautiful. Great find. I haven’t come across anything of too much value. I do occasionally find arowheads in the ground as I dig (we live on the site of King Philip’s War).

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Today, I was digging post holes for a new fence. This showed up in a shovelful of earth midway through the morning. It’s a medal issued in 1887 to commemorate the golden jubilee of Queen Victoria or, as I have always referred to her, “old smiley”.

It’s not in pristine shape, of course; it’s been buried for a while now but still legible.

The four parts of the Maltese cross are; born 1819, crowned 1838, married 1840, jubilee 1887.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Attachments:

Today, I was digging post holes for a new fence. This showed up in a shovelful of earth midway through the morning. It’s a medal issued in 1887 to commemorate the golden jubilee of Queen Victoria or, as I have always referred to her, “old smiley”.

It’s not in pristine shape, of course; it’s been buried for a while now but still legible.

The four parts of the Maltese cross are; born 1819, crowned 1838, married 1840, jubilee 1887.

Wow … great find

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

Some more my wife worked on.

Amish or Mennonite?

Dapper Dan

Cutie … gorra love those boots.

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Nice find Peter.

@journeyman
    Those turned out fantastic. ThanX for sharing.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Here are some pics of a couple things I have found. The letter was behind a panel on an old built in hutch, the explosives box was in a cold cellar, and the 2 man saw was in an attic.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.416 seconds