dcsimg

Treasure turns up in unusual places.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 100 total)
  • Author

Anyone ever found “treasure” as they go about there normal days work? I have had many small finds in the past, rip off a baseboard (in Scotland) only to find an old coin such as a farthing or silver tuppenny etc etc. I pulled of some window panels (again in Scotland) and found some old tools, no doubt left there by the carpenter some 100 years before I got there. I wonder if he is still looking for those.

Here in Canada I was working on an 18th century store with apartments above when I discovered the best find of my life. Part of the reno was we were dividing the store in to two units which would be rented separately, part of that deal meant I had to cut a rear access door for one of the future store renters. That door had to be cut through an old 6″ stud wall with lath and plaster both sides.
    As I cut through the lath and plaster I could hear weird noises coming from behind the lath which to my ears sounded like breaking glass.

So after I got the plaster and lath out I found these fragments.

Don’t look like treasure does it?

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Nope not really. What are they?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Let’s hear the rest of the story!

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Don’t look like treasure does it?

Nope, they don’t. What the heck is it? LOL

I tore a wall down in my first home (circa 1924) and it was lathe and plaster.
    Inside was an old hide a door. track and all in there.
    The plaster must have been put on nice and wet at the time as it had to be an inch thick at the bottom compared to a skim coat at the top.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Usually I will find coins under the following onto door threshold. We did a house once that was built in 1814 and we found several old coins from the 1800’s in it. Also another good treasure I have found are tools that got lost. I have a nice pair of needle nose pliers I use a lot that were a “treasure” that I found in a wall.

??? if you said it sounded like glass , could it be old pieces of some sort of stained glass?? no clue , i have found old baseball or more particular hockey cards , the odd coins ,

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have found very old beer cans.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

I was helping a friend of my renovate an old house and we found an old Massey-Harris (tractor brand before Massey-Ferguson)billfold with about $350 in it. But that is the most I’ve ever found.

Will

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Full?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would have to say about the best i have ever done, is a little spare change.

I did find a Mercury dime once, a little bit of silver I guess.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I find old coins now and then dating back to 1856 but not much else .

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

The only treasure that I find tends to be aluminum or copper scrap. I don’t think I have ever found anything of much value ever.

Clev08
    Pro

Found an old screwdriver, but it had been sitting in water and was all rusty…

@JourneyMan
    does it have anything to do with your only other picture on photobucket?

So after some time I’d say I collected some 50 or so pieces of glass various sizes … some broken most not … all were blackened with what turned out to be soot.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Those plates are neat. Don’t see them around anymore. Nice find.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I have found a few things – some old newspaper articles, a bill for coal delivery from 1904, old beer bottles, a few old hand tools, and I found an old laudanum bottle once. Nothing of value but kind of cool none the less.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

So it turns out that one of the upper floors housed a photographers studio (details to follow) and some time in the early 1900’s the building had a fire consuming the whole 3rd floor (a printers or newspaper office) and the photographers studio. At a guess i’d say these plates once were stored in wooden crates and more than likely up against the wall above where I cut. The lath and plaster above would have burned through and the plates fell in to the void.

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

So it turns out that one of the upper floors housed a photographers studio (details to follow) and some time in the early 1900’s the building had a fire consuming the whole 3rd floor (a printers or newspaper office) and the photographers studio. At a guess i’d say these plates once were stored in wooden crates and more than likely up against the wall above where I cut. The lath and plaster above would have burned through and the plates fell in to the void.

That is quite the treasure. My granddaughter who works in a museum in Lacock, Scotland right now specializes in restoration of old photographs like those.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Full?

Ha, not typically…

So after some time I’d say I collected some 50 or so pieces of glass various sizes … some broken most not … all were blackened with what turned out to be soot.

Very cool….wonder how that ended up inside a wall?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

That’s an interesting find; I hope they can be restored. Who knows what’s in the photos, maybe there’s something of historical value.

I once found a newspaper from 1958, other than that I haven’t found anything too interesting.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.515 seconds