dcsimg

Trailer Vs. Van

Tagged: 

This topic contains 184 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  roninohio 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 185 total)
  • Author

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Just wondering what most people use.

Right now Ive just been hauling tools around in my truck, but that means either loading up the cab/back seat or throwing things in the box just waiting to be taken, not to mention exposed to the elements.

Ive been pricing out both options; trailers and vans. And a new 12-16ft trailer depending on options is roughly the same price as a used van, so price isn’t really a factor for me.

Then there is the convenience of both – trailer can be left on site and still have a vehicle where as a van still has everything in it, however a van is far easier to park / navigate in busy areas.

So – what do you prefer?

I am not full time , but run with truck and boxes. Picked up a trailer last summer. But if I have really been looking at vans. When we had the painting business we ran out of vans. Hated getting in and out of it. Now that I am much older and less limber, I am going back to a van. Right, I know, sounds crazy. But really like the way I can keep things in there safely
    , and not have to [ull a trailor every time I go out.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I drive a Subaru, so take this for what it’s worth (nothing 🙂 )…

I’d say a van with a trailer would be ideal. Take the trailer when necessary, but utilize the van primarily. Most of the time, the van would be sufficient, but the extra space/height would make a trailer useful.

A truck is nice, but for me, not totally necessary. I like having my stuff locked inside and out of view, which isn’t possible in a truck without a topper. If I’m going to have a truck with a topper, why not buy a van instead?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Hi Alex! I am a van guy for everyday but also have a trailer for work. If I could only choose one it would be a van. Security is better, the elements aren’t a concern, with a ladder rack it is easy to haul big ladders, and I can store more tools while still having room open for materials. Here is my van.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Nice setup Over, I have been thinking about a vehicle for my lead and I am beginning to think a van would be the best option.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Nice set up. I like the vans for the fact that I can start getting a bit of heat on tools in the mornings too, since it gets cold up here haha

One of the biggest things pulling me to a trailer is that building shelving I would be able to make toe kicks on cabinets 8-10″ tall and keep at least 49″ between to carry 4×8 sheets of plywood up to a few 4×12 sheets of drywall. Not to mention being able to carry long stock that probably wouldn’t fit in a van too well.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@overanalyze , nice van Andrew , nicely set up,

Hey Alex, I was using a smaller trailer with my escape a few years ago, I have since sold the trailer , because I don’t do as many renos , and got tired of moving the trailer around, but if and when I get back in 100 percent , I will pick up another trailer .

please don’t laugh at my trailer lol

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I have contemplated a trailer from time to time, but keep sticking with vans. I am now in the market again, and am 100% sure it is gonna be a van.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I’ve been running a mid sized SUV for the past few years. I really like having my tools in the dry. Not being able to carry full sheets of ply has me thinking a van might be nice to have.but I really like having 4 wheel drive.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Thanks guys!! I havr a video of it I can post too.

@boschmanbrian I have thought of adding a small 6×12 tool trailer at times. If I didn’t have my shop my approach to how I work would be completely didfferent than what it is today.

@woodsconstruction we carry quite a few sheets of ply or drywall in the van..at least enough for a small project. Our van is the extended length and we can get 12′ drywall in there. Also we have the ladder rack for 16′ material. For larger quantities of materials we still get that delivered from our supplier.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

redwood
    Pro

I’ve been a truck man for most of my career. Main reason was lumber. Racks are much better and heavier for trucks. I had a shell on the truck and I also had two trailers.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

@redwood

Mark, like the dump trailer, that has been on my wish list for awhile. Just can’t justify it right now. But they can be a huge asset

redwood
    Pro

Mark, like the dump trailer, that has been on my wish list for awhile. Just can’t justify it right now. But they can be a huge asset

@siberian

Ed, I have to say that the dump trailer was the single best investment I ever made in construction. I’ve had mine since 1998. I used it for a lot of things besides construction debris. I hauled my Dingo around in it. I used it to pick up materials. I used it to move, ect.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

If you do get a trailer make sure you have some kind of GPS tracking system. I think even a couple guys here have had trailers stolen.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

If you do get a trailer make sure you have some kind of GPS tracking system. I think even a couple guys here have had trailers stolen.

That has been a problem even here in my area. Two were stolen before Christmas. One was recovered with in a few hours. But the other must have left the state.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I have a trailer now, but I have had boat. They both have their pros and cons , I like my trailer but it can be a pain getting some job sites. The van is nice for having everything inside and more secure. I could go back to working out of a van but I could never go back to a truck without a trailer.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

Prefer a trailer myself. I had a truck with a utility bed and loved it but having a trailer is just awesome.

@siberian

Ed, I have to say that the dump trailer was the single best investment I ever made in construction. I’ve had mine since 1998. I used it for a lot of things besides construction debris. I hauled my Dingo around in it. I used it to pick up materials. I used it to move, ect.

My brother has two and they have come in so handy. If I am back to work, I will have one this year

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Hi Alex! I am a van guy for everyday but also have a trailer for work. If I could only choose one it would be a van. Security is better, the elements aren’t a concern, with a ladder rack it is easy to haul big ladders, and I can store more tools while still having room open for materials. Here is my van.

I’m really liking that setup in the van. So much I’m thinking a van would be a better idea than a truck. I’m also worried about things getting taken if I have an open cab.

A Working Pro since 2004

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

So – what do you prefer?

I use a full size van.

I am a van guy for everyday

Seeing OA’s van just makes me sick, about how messy mine is.

Attachments:

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 185 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 2.309 seconds