dcsimg

Trailer Organization

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 195 total)
  • Author

Hey all,

To keep things straight, we have some separate topics on van organization, truck cab organization, and now – trailer organization! What do you guys do to keep your trailers organized? I know many of you have mentioned that you feel like you need a bigger trailer than you already have (just like our shop sizes… haha). Would doing any organization overhauls help?

Here is a guy from FOG’s trailer to get this started!

http://festoolownersgroup.com/member-projects/new-member-just-outfitted-my-new-6×10-work-trailer/

John S

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

That is a nice and clean setup. I think that trailers are the way to go, the low maintenance costs, and the fact that you probably are not going to trade it in because of high miles makes it an attractive option. I looked into car haulers some, because of the size, and storage options available. Things like this:

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

An organization overhaul would help, my poor little 6 x 10 is loaded.

I carry a lot of tools – doing remodeling, occasional handyman projects, and especially working on HUD projects it’s not uncommon for me to pour a small sidewalk, replace a window, install a vanity with top, sink and drain in the same day.

I am actually considering switching the majority of my tools over to L-boxxes and revamping my trailer to accommodate the storage system. I am probably going to order a couple boxxes here soon to see how I like the system.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

redwood
    Pro

Chad, your trailer looks somewhat like mine, except yours is a lot more organized then mine. I have the same plywood shelving, though I have a sheet of T1-11 that covers the shelving during transportation.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Those pictures were taken not long after I cleaned it…it gets a little messy between cleanings.

The T-111 to keep stuff from falling?

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

That’s a nice little setup Chad. Would like to hear how you find the L-Boxx setup after you pick some up. I’ve bought in and am liking them quite a lot.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Did someone say trailer organization? I advise to get bigger than you think you’ll ever need, That way you may only buy once. But keep in mind you also have to tow it and park it too. Getting too big could be cumbersome. Here’s mine showing the versatility of uses. And more than one work bench comes in handy ๐Ÿ™‚

kzcarp
    Pro

Hmmmm, that doesn’t look like a workbench to me. If you see this trailer rockin’ don’t come a knockin’ (insert knocking boots smiley)

when I think about getting a trailer I’m pushed to go 12′ only because of my 10’6″ break. If I’m going to pack everything, I might as well pack everything. Organizing around the break would be the big challenge.
    There is(was) a guy on FOG with a crazy outfitted box truck, everything in sistainers.

kevin

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well Kevin, If I were you I’d look for a 16′ then, It won’t be any harder to pull, And just a hair longer to park but no biggy. And with the extra room packing everything becomes less of a challenge. I’d also highly recommend dual axles, In fact I’d insist on it. They pull so much better and relieve some of the tongue weight too. And ya never know, you might even want to dual purpose it for the weekends ๐Ÿ™‚

redwood
    Pro

Those pictures were taken not long after I cleaned itโ€ฆit gets a little messy between cleanings.

Yes, I have boxes stacked on each other and driving on mountain roads, everything would be all over the floor. Not a pretty sight. They are just held against the cabinet with 2 slide bolts.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

I am actually considering switching the majority of my tools over to L-boxxes and revamping my trailer to accommodate the storage system. I am probably going to order a couple boxxes here soon to see how I like the system.

I need not add here ๐Ÿ™‚

I hadn’t thought about the idea of re-purposing car trailers but that actually sounds like a pretty good idea Sven… assuming you needed a trailer that large!

What do you guys find to be the biggest challenge in organizing your trailers?

John S

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I was more aiming at the shelving/cupboards that are available in them. I think that a car hauler may be a little bit long for most circumstances. Has anyone ever thought of converting a camper into a shop?

woodman_412

Hey all,

To keep things straight, we have some separate topics on van organization, truck cab organization, and now โ€“ trailer organization! What do you guys do to keep your trailers organized? I know many of you have mentioned that you feel like you need a bigger trailer than you already have (just like our shop sizesโ€ฆ haha). Would doing any organization overhauls help?

Here is a guy from FOGโ€™s trailer to get this started!

http://festoolownersgroup.com/member-projects/new-member-just-outfitted-my-new-6ร—10-work-trailer/

That looks like a good setup John. My trailer is 5×10 so a slightly modified version of something like that setup would work in mine. At the moment my trailer is empty inside since I use it mostly for transporting bulky things such as cabinets. I’ve thought about making a setup for it that is knock-down and removable so that I could use the trailer both ways.

Dan

danpattison.com

Iโ€™ve thought about making a setup for it that is knock-down and removable so that I could use the trailer both ways.

That seems like it would be quite the design challenge… Perhaps investing in some sort of racking system that you could easily attach/remove might do the trick… Is there a way such that you could finish the innermost part and still leave room for hauling?

John S

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Those pictures were taken not long after I cleaned itโ€ฆit gets a little messy between cleanings.

Yes, I have boxes stacked on each other and driving on mountain roads, everything would be all over the floor. Not a pretty sight. They are just held against the cabinet with 2 slide bolts.

All my shelves have a slight backwards cant and cleats on the front to stop things from falling of the shelves, works pretty well for me. But I also don’t have winding mountain roads to deal with.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was more aiming at the shelving/cupboards that are available in them. I think that a car hauler may be a little bit long for most circumstances. Has anyone ever thought of converting a camper into a shop?

My trailer is a car hauler at 23 1/2′ inside to the ‘V’ point, That would make a nice trailer shop. But perhaps a hair cumbersome to park at a different jobsite daily. Making a shop out of an old camper is a great idea, You could even keep the toilet and sink in it. The only major problem I see is getting bigger stuff in through the door. I have an old 22′ class C motorhome that I hardly use anymore, Still runs fine and everything works but it’s starting to show it’s age on the outside. If you could find something like that to convert. They’re pretty cheap really, Maybe $2000ish. and a class C has the bed over the cab for storage or taking a nap ๐Ÿ™‚

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

The only major problem I see is getting bigger stuff in through the door.

But you could always get a toy hauler. That way you have the fold down back gate. Couch, toilet, kitchen. I think it would definitely be the ticket for those longer jobs.

But you could always get a toy hauler. That way you have the fold down back gate. Couch, toilet, kitchen. I think it would definitely be the ticket for those longer jobs.

Now, I may not be a pro, but I am not sure I would want my trailer to look like an RV for my customers. Nothing against RVs, but I sure wouldn’t want my customers (imaginary, but hypothetical) to think I was planning on spending the night at their place ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜›

I am curious to hear you guys chime in on finding the balance between planning for a large enough trailer (not that it is entirely possible haha) and being more ‘mobile’ (and cost effective I suppose) with a smaller one

John S

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oooooo now yer talkin, Make the garage end a shop. I like it, Gosh I wouldn’t care what the clients thought. They might even appreciate the idea of being so dedicated to getting the job done that you’re prepared to stay till it is LOL. Just keep the fridge stocked for those after hrs ๐Ÿ™‚

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I’m sure you could get it to look more work like, and they do have some that are shorter. It would kill two birds with one stone.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 195 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.547 seconds