dcsimg

Track Saw Workbench

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 183 total)
  • Author

I just cut into the top — it is designed to be sacrificial and it lasts a long, long time…I used to put something over the top of it, but it was cumbersome and you lose the benefits of the hole pattern so I just did it and I have never looked back. When I need to replace a top, I will just make one or buy a replacement and call it a day.

Foam insulation works well too and many people will use that set-up on some saw horses — no chipping on the bottom of your cut, which is nice.

Orange County, CA

woodman_412

Saw horses work well for a quick table. If you get some Parf Dogs from Lee Valley you can get accurate and repeatable rips and cross-cuts with any old sheet of plywood…pretty impressive set-up.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/rX8j-eCz5Og?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; allowfullscreen=”” frameborder=”0″ height=”433″ width=”770″></iframe></figure>

I really like that setup, I think I might make a sheet of MDF that will fit on top of my assembly table and get some parf dogs. That way I could use it in the shop or on site.

John, am I reading it right that you got yourself a tracksaw?

Dan

danpattison.com

The Parf Dogs are really nice…I like the short ones for sanding and the long ones for acting as a fence. I did buy 4 sets of each for jigs and whatnot. They are really well made and worth the money. I liked how Peter showed using them without a table and still getting accurate 90 degree cuts.

Orange County, CA

John, am I reading it right that you got yourself a tracksaw?

Yes, I do… I didn’t realize I needed to make public announcements for every new tool purchase 😛 😛 Have only made a few cuts with it (TS55R) so far but I am definitely impressed so far!

John S

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

The Parf Dogs are really nice…I like the short ones for sanding and the long ones for acting as a fence. I did buy 4 sets of each for jigs and whatnot. They are really well made and worth the money. I liked how Peter showed using them without a table and still getting accurate 90 degree cuts.

I just had a look and those do look really nice, in fact they look a little more flexible then the Qwas dogs being able to use them to position a rail higher up. Any advantage to the Qwas dogs over the Parf? I might have to pick up a few sets.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

John, I think public announcements should be mandatory when it comes to certain tools. How dare you not let us know in a more timely manner!

redwood
    Pro

I honestly am blown away that John got a track saw and a mft table. I remember not to long ago him asking whether he should spend the money on some older tools that were pretty cheap.

Congratulations.

Wasn’t that a old table saw that you purchased. Did you finish restoring it?

Sorry, I’ve been behind in my thread reading. I just saw your topic on restoring tools.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

I honestly am blown away that John got a track saw and a mft table. I remember not to long ago him asking whether he should spend the money on some older tools that were pretty cheap.

Congratulations.

Wasn’t that a old table saw that you purchased. Did you finish restoring it?

Sorry, I’ve been behind in my thread reading. I just saw your topic on restoring tools.

Yeah – I am still tinkering around with the old table saw – not sure if it is really worth keeping even though the thing is a tank. But I am still planning on going forward with some sort of restoration for now….

John, I think public announcements should be mandatory when it comes to certain tools. How dare you not let us know in a more timely manner!

hah! Well, Dirty’s new topic makes this far easier now 😛

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I still waiting for the pic or it never happened.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Yeah – I am still tinkering around with the old table saw – not sure if it is really worth keeping even though the thing is a tank. But I am still planning on going forward with some sort of restoration for now….

I’d like to hear more about this. Sorry John, but assuming this an old piece of American iron you have no choice but to do the right thing here and bring it back to its former glory.

Fair enough…

I’d like to hear more about this. Sorry John, but assuming this an old piece of American iron you have no choice but to do the right thing here and bring it back to its former glory.

See pics below (all mine with an example of it finished by another person) but go to this topic:
    http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/john-s-table-saw-restoration/

John S

Fair enough…

aye, forgot to attach… not the best pic, but proof enough 🙂

Attachments:

John S

Anonymous
    Inactive

It looks like a cool saw if I could see it, I don’t really know what it is. How about some over all pics of it out of the box and on the track and on the table. C’mon John, That pic is so cropped I can’t tell what you really have going on there with your new set up. That pic is just a teaser LOL

haha I had a feeling it would look more like a teaser than evidence. Shoot, I will take a better one this weekend

John S

woodman_412

So what made you take the plunge and “drink the green koolaid” John? I didn’t know that you were even in the market for a tracksaw. They really do change the way you can work though, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Dan

danpattison.com

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Yah, more pics. I didn’t know you got the mtf-3 as well. More pics of that too.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

very interested in your review of the mtf as well.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It’s like when I put up a pic of a Box on the “I got a Boxx” thread

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yah, more pics. I didn’t know you got the mtf-3 as well. More pics of that too.

I think It would be fair to say we all like the pics.

Attachments:

Dirty

I still waiting for the pic or it never happened.<br>
    Fair enough…

aye, forgot to attach… not the best pic, but proof enough :)

Looks nice…one thing I really like about Festool is the smell of new tools…those of you that have bought them know what I am talking about.

Orange County, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 183 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.560 seconds