dcsimg

Track Saw Workbench

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 183 total)
  • Author

As mentioned here:
    http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/cheap-light-sawhorses/page/7/#post-86210

Matt R wrote:
    I’ve been trying to come up with a good track saw cutting table and I think some new sawhorses are going to be the foundation for it. I might have to go the plywood route with some hinges, those are bound to be better then the plastic/rubber ones I have right now.

This is the one I am most impressed with right now:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpra92hsOFY (I think this is the right link… tools of the trade did an article on it here – http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/benches-and-tool-stands/the-ultimate-track-saw-workbench.aspx)
    Attached are a few other pics of some other interesting options
    Ron Paulk’s setup seems like a decent option as well..
    I like his simplicity: http://breenbushdesign.wordpress.com/2012/07/04/track-saw-cutting-table/

What do you think is the best workbench (portable or not) for track saws?

John S

I promise this sort of stuff can’t be planned any better… brand new FOG topic:
    http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-jigs-tool-enhancements/my-custom-built-expandable-mft-on-rolling-cart
    Check it out! Slick setup…

John S

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Thanks John, The latter is a little closer to what I’m planning. I’ve picked up a 20mm forstner bit and hope to be able to lay a grid on top. My idea is to combine L-BOXX storage with a movable cart and a consumable top I can cut on, I think I may steal the idea of the folding shelf extensions – it’s really genius, allowing you to keep a compact profile for when you need it but having the wings that pop out for when you need the capacity, so glad I came across the idea.

Any plans for something on your side as well to break in the new track saw?

redwood
    Pro

Did I miss something? John got a track saw?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Did I miss something? John got a track saw?

You couldn’t see the green reflection in his eyes from his profile pic? He’s mixing the green kool-aid in with the blue now.

I think he and I were sitting on the same fence for a while and ended up giving in around the same time too. I’ve been really impressed so far although I’ve only been able to get out and do about a dozen cuts with it so far, even with heat in the shop it’s still only about 40f. I went with the TS55 R.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

That second set up is much nicer then the first. The first one looks huge and complicated.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

I have been thinking about building a cart and putting the MFT on top in a folded position. It is a slick set-up and you can get a few Systainers or L-Boxxes in underneath in the cabinet, depending on layout. Matt will succumb to the MFT I would imagine…like many of us!

Orange County, CA

I have been thinking about building a cart and putting the MFT on top in a folded position. It is a slick set-up and you can get a few Systainers or L-Boxxes in underneath in the cabinet, depending on layout. Matt will succumb to the MFT I would imagine…like many of us!

That is not at all an uncommon setup as you know I am sure… I’ve seen many a FOGer do just that – especially when they make the cart such a height that the folded MFT on top would be level with an upright MFT

John S

Exactly, John. My issue is that it would permanently occupy floor space. The folded MFT as you know is not that thick and stores pretty flat against a wall.

Orange County, CA

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

You are probably right – I came very close to ordering it already in a package, to be honest if we had the 10% discount I probably would have, when I found out it was only 5% in Canada for some reason it pushed me off the fence. After just playing with a few of the quick clamps and looking at the clamping elements it really does look like an amazing system, I might see if I can replicate 40% of it for a while, waiting on the tool fund to recover from the last blow.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I use my Makita track saw on the job site so I don’t use a special table, i just use the horses on site.
    JohnS what kind of tracksaw do you use on your special track saw table?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Attachments:

Saw horses work well for a quick table. If you get some Parf Dogs from Lee Valley you can get accurate and repeatable rips and cross-cuts with any old sheet of plywood…pretty impressive set-up.

Orange County, CA

I use my Makita track saw on the job site so I don’t use a special table, i just use the horses on site.<br>
    JohnS what kind of tracksaw do you use on your special track saw table?

I thought I had mentioned that I was now using a TS55R on an MFT/3. Definitely am impressed by the setup so far, especially with having a second mft/3 to be able to handle sheets

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I thought I had mentioned that I was now using a TS55R on an MFT/3. Definitely am impressed by the setup so far, especially with having a second mft/3 to be able to handle sheets

Oh is that a new saw?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

What prevents you from cutting the table?

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I would just replace it as it gets warn out, I think it would last quite a while.

I would just replace it as it gets warn out, I think it would last quite a while.

Exactly. And you can always flip it over before having to replace it.

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I thought the whole point of the track saw was to lose the big bench?

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I thought the whole point of the track saw was to lose the big bench?

For me, it was more about not dragging full sheets over a table, much easier to get a precise cut moving the saw. Don’t want anything that will take up too much room, but I figure if I make my table on wheels and also have it store some L-BOXX’s it becomes storage and makes me room when it’s not working.

I’ve heard of guys using 4×8 sheets of pink foam insulation to avoid marring their table tops.

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 183 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.613 seconds