dcsimg

Track saw tips and tricks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 156 total)
  • Author
    brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I recently acquired my first track saw, the Makita. Haven’t used it a lot yet, but the little bit I have, I’m loving it!
    I was ripping some thin strips (3/8 wide) out of some 3/4 stock the other day. Works good, but had a hard time getting EXACTLY the same width every time, varied a 1/32 to 1/16 in width (not in each piece, individual pieces) Probably a job more suited to a table saw, but I didn’t have it on the job.
    Also it seems somehow I’ve cut the rubber strip a little too much in spots, so the edge isn’t necessarily precisely where the blade cuts.

I’d like to see some of your tips and tricks for working with this tool, I feel like there is so much it can do!

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

You can make a gig to space the track and cut consistent thin strips

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Here is my new track saw for my old tracks. Fsn rails fit on the gks57 model. It has a dust collection boot also. Didn’t even turn it on yet but soon I will.

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

You can make a gig to space the track and cut consistent thin strips

Thats where the MFT/3 comes in as champ, and there are a LOT of plans and videos out there that explain how to make your own. The key is making sure you have an accurate stop that is quick to set up for repeatable cuts

The strip cut in different spots was most likely do to not having the saw guide tight and straight for the first cut . I know Festool sells parallel guides . Not sure if it works on makita . Cutting small strips like that . My opinion it’s best for table saws for consistent cuts .

Always willing to learn .

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

The strip cut in different spots was most likely do to not having the saw guide tight and straight for the first cut . I know Festool sells parallel guides . Not sure if it works on makita . Cutting small strips like that . My opinion it’s best for table saws for consistent cuts .

I got 2 guide rails, I haven’t used the 2nd one yet so hopefully it will work out better and it may be the one I use more. Got 2 so I can hook them together, which I don’t think will be often. I will make sure everything is snug.

Doobie

I know Festool sells parallel guides . Not sure if it works on makita

I can’t recall either if my parralel guides would work on Makita tracks. I know my LR32 guide sled does not work, but unsure about the parrallel guides.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

It will take some practice and knowing how the saw cuts before you can get good results. That was my experience anyway.

One thing you’ll need to set up is how the saw rides on the track. While you would think you just push it along straight, you actually push the nose in and the tail out. There are dials on the saw that control how tight the guides are. You will want the front guide somewhat tight. Not so tight that it grips the track but almost no play. Then the back guide you will want a touch loose. This will allow you to kinda turn the saw ever so slightly on the track.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

The Festool parallel guides do not work on the Makita track due to the anti tip lip on the track. Seneca makes a parallel guide that will work with the Makita track though.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

It will take some practice and knowing how the saw cuts before you can get good results. That was my experience anyway.

One thing you’ll need to set up is how the saw rides on the track. While you would think you just push it along straight, you actually push the nose in and the tail out. There are dials on the saw that control how tight the guides are. You will want the front guide somewhat tight. Not so tight that it grips the track but almost no play. Then the back guide you will want a touch loose. This will allow you to kinda turn the saw ever so slightly on the track.

Great tip.

Most people don’t realize that track saws cut like this. It is the main reason why the saw cuts so cleanly…the toe in cut eliminates the chance of the back of the saw blade dragging on the work piece which can leave marks or burns on the wood.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I certainly never knew this,great tip! That’s why i started this thread

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I certainly never knew this,great tip! That’s why i started this thread

I didn’t know either until someone told me. The saw would start out good but then it would cut about a 32nd away from the splinter guard. I finally asked on another forum and someone explained it to me also. That is why I love these places so much. Just great info sharing.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

So on my kitchen remodel we had existing plaster everywhere. I pulled the walls but left the ceilings. However we needed to patch where soffits and non load bearing wall were removed.

To clean up the jagged edges I used my TS55 with the midi and a 20mm hardi board blade. I used task poles to hold my track against the ceiling. Very low dust and crisp clean edges. To finish the end I used a sawzall with plaster/cast iron blade. Back off a little and take it slow works well.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Bosch tracks are right on it’s smooth it glides on the rails. Rails doesn’t have play at all. Cuts one the same line everytime. It’s very accurate. Invest on get it from oversea better product. Superior dust collection. Best motor and best tracks .

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I know a lot of guys who have the makita get festool tracks. If you do this then the parallel guides will definitely work.

On my saw the adjustable nuts are at the same tightness . Having one lose will mess up the cut since it won’t run on the track parallel to the rail .

Always willing to learn .

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

Bosch tracks are right on it’s smooth it glides on the rails. Rails doesn’t have play at all. Cuts one the same line everytime. It’s very accurate. Invest on get it from oversea better product. Superior dust collection. Best motor and best tracks .

I would have liked to considered Bosch but the hundreds of reviews really didn’t make out a clear leader in the mid range saws. Plus the shipping thing. Best is really a matter of opinion. I have yet to see a Bosch, DeWalt, or Festool perform better than my Makita. If you want to really “invest” in the “best”, you’d have a Mafell.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

On my saw the adjustable nuts are at the same tightness . Having one lose will mess up the cut since it won’t run on the track parallel to the rail .

Couldn’t be further from the truth with my saw. Many people gave me that tip so I imagine that is just the way it is. Crisp, clean, splinter free cuts.

Hangman
    Pro

Been wishing the Bosch Track Saw was available in the states! Haven’t found anywhere that is willing to ship it here. Next time I’m in Copenhagen I plant to visit a power tool store, I’ve gotten some Bosch stuff from Europe. Bosch makes the GKS which is a mini circular saw, I do believe it also works on the track.

The master has failed more times than the disciple has ever tried.

Over 25 years experience from NYC

https://www.instagram.com/gothichangman/

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What is the Track saw tips or tricks

I would have liked to considered Bosch but the hundreds of reviews really didn’t make out a clear leader in the mid range saws. Plus the shipping thing. Best is really a matter of opinion. I have yet to see a Bosch, DeWalt, or Festool perform better than my Makita. If you want to really “invest” in the “best”, you’d have a Mafell.

I fully agree the Makita is as good as the mid range gets and I have used it side by side with the fesstool.
    Yes I would love the Mafell as well.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 156 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.518 seconds